• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Action 1 used for insulation fetches $175K

32 posts in this topic

This tells me there are a lot of people who have WAY too much money. The cover was detached and it sold for 175K? Ridiculous.
I don't think the sale was ridiculous. It's an Action #1

I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't buy it if I was a millionaire, but there's still a level of insanity in buying a comic that has its cover detached for 175K, even if it's Superman.

o.k. find me another one with the cover on it for this price...

ready... set... GO!

Wow, what a "find" if this is legit. I've torn into the guts of my house, which was built in the early 30's and the only thing I've found other than more problems/work needing to be done were a few walnuts from when squirrels must have been living in the attic and a Skywalker card from the RotJ series, big cash money there.

Yeah, the only thing i've ever found in my walls was a beehive with like 30,000 bees that cost me an assload of $$$ to have removed and then fix the damn hole they had to cut out meh

This tells me there are a lot of people who have WAY too much money. The cover was detached and it sold for 175K? Ridiculous.

I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't buy it if I was a millionaire, but there's still a level of insanity in buying a comic that has its cover detached for 175K, even if it's Superman.

ready... set... GO!

Oh come on. 175K for a comic with a detached is not crazy to you, even a little bit?

ready... set... GO!

Oh come on. 175K for a comic with a detached is not crazy to you, even a little bit?

The answer is within the question.

You describe it as a "comic with a detached cover."

Others describe it as "the first appearance of Superman."

I don't think the cover is detached? It doesn't note it on the label. It has a huge back cover tear, but not detached.. If it were detached, I think it would sell for slightly less.

It is noted on the label that the cover is detached.

I don't think the cover is detached? It doesn't note it on the label. It has a huge back cover tear, but not detached.. If it were detached, I think it would sell for slightly less.

Oh wow.. Surprised I missed that doh!

My favorite thing about this thread is that I haven't seen the exact same questions asked and answered a dozen other times in a dozen other threads over the last month or two. It's all so exciting and new! :whee::baiting:

I must admit that spaghetti's conspiracy angle is new. There's nothing to suggest that any new pedigree can't have the exact same questions asked about it. Certainly stuffing newspaper and magazines in walls was common in the early 20th century, so the idea of finding comics in the wall is neither a stretch nor even new as several nice finds have been made inside of house walls. My mom pulled a bunch of old newspapers and magazines and hay out of an old house she renovated on some property she bought about twenty years ago. Structured insulation didn't become popular until about the mid-20th century, so people would stuff all sorts of stuff into walls before then to warm up a house. The guy who found the Action 1 did find other comics in the same walls, but none of the others were worth much. The story's credence is bolstered by the fact that the guy who found it buys old houses, renovates them, and flips them on a regular basis, so this wasn't the first time he's ripped into the walls of a house he owns.

We are not surprised. :baiting::grin:

We are not surprised. :baiting::grin:

:tonofbricks:

My favorite thing about this thread is that I haven't seen the exact same questions asked and answered a dozen other times in a dozen other threads over the last month or two. It's all so exciting and new! :whee::baiting:

I must admit that spaghetti's conspiracy angle is new. There's nothing to suggest that any new pedigree can't have the exact same questions asked about it. Certainly stuffing newspaper and magazines in walls was common in the early 20th century, so the idea of finding comics in the wall is neither a stretch nor even new as several nice finds have been made inside of house walls. My mom pulled a bunch of old newspapers and magazines and hay out of an old house she renovated on some property she bought about twenty years ago. Structured insulation didn't become popular until about the mid-20th century, so people would stuff all sorts of stuff into walls before then to warm up a house. The guy who found the Action 1 did find other comics in the same walls, but none of the others were worth much. The story's credence is bolstered by the fact that the guy who found it buys old houses, renovates them, and flips them on a regular basis, so this wasn't the first time he's ripped into the walls of a house he owns.

Just ask yourself,

What would the book have sold for if it wasn't found in a house and was from someones collection?

Thats why I can't get my head around the story, that and people who don't know anything about comics, and the same people who act like they are experts after watching pawnstars ask me if I've heard about the find.