• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

Man of Steel  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Man of Steel

391 posts in this topic

Also, on an unrelated note, when they had the shot of young Clark playing superhero with the cape, I had to wonder exactly who he was pretending to be. It's an iconic shot of a kid pretending to be Superman, sure, but since Superman doesn't exist yet... was there some golden age hero in Clark's world he was emulating?

I wondered that as well and the first hero that popped to mind was Captain Marvel.

Was he acting like he was flying, or just running around with a cape?

Didn't Zorro have a cape, which was also part of the inspirationfor Batman? He's been around since 1919.

He was just standing there with a cape, so it's probably impossible to get a good guess for who he may have been imitating. Yes, I've also heard that Zorro most likely inspired capes for superheros including Batman.

Also, on an unrelated note, when they had the shot of young Clark playing superhero with the cape, I had to wonder exactly who he was pretending to be. It's an iconic shot of a kid pretending to be Superman, sure, but since Superman doesn't exist yet... was there some golden age hero in Clark's world he was emulating?

I wondered that as well and the first hero that popped to mind was Captain Marvel.

Was he acting like he was flying, or just running around with a cape?

Didn't Zorro have a cape, which was also part of the inspirationfor Batman? He's been around since 1919.

He was just standing there with a cape, so it's probably impossible to get a good guess for who he may have been imitating. Yes, I've also heard that Zorro most likely inspired capes for superheros including Batman.

Then I would lean towards Zorro as an inspiration for that scene. Between Zorro (1919) and The Shadow (1930), there was plenty of dark, caped influence to go around which may have inspired superhero characteristics and appearances.

Then I would lean towards Zorro as an inspiration for that scene. Between Zorro (1919) and The Shadow (1930), there was plenty of dark, caped influence to go around which may have inspired superhero characteristics and appearances.

Except that this film was not set in the early 20th century, it was set in modern times. So pick your favorite non-Superman hero as inspiration for the cape. (shrug) Batman is the likely best guess.

The next big release is World War Z.

Will be interesting to see its box office opening.

So far on IMDB its at 7.1 while Man of Steel is holding 8.2.

RT is a different story with MoS certified rotten at 56% and World War Z certified fresh at 74%.

It definitely will be interesting to see if Man of Steel can maintain its theater numbers. And that IMDB score was quite impressive when you think over 78,000 people have voted. And they are most probably using the Mean as a measure, so the vote may actually shift higher if considering the most frequent vote.

Except that this film was not set in the early 20th century, it was set in modern times. So pick your favorite non-Superman hero as inspiration for the cape. (shrug) Batman is the likely best guess.

I hear ya. But if they are shifting the 1938 timeline to 2013 to make it more modern, and there are still no superheroes yet, wouldn't everything else shift as well?

But I doubt they thought of these influences in the movie, and you are most probably right that this may be the tie-in with Batman.

I gave it an 8 - a film with ambition that did occasionally slip into tired formula. One or two of the performances (notably Russell Crowe's) were phoned in, but generally the direction was above par and assured. At least it made an effort to be different from all the previous Superman films, which was an entirely necessary move.

Nolan's hand was definitely on the tiller regarding the tone and direction of the film, his remit, as with TDK, being to produce an entertaining, tour de force movie featuring a comic-book character rather than a comic-based work.

A quantum leap from Superman Returns, which had Superman and Luthor on screen together for about thirty seconds.

The kid with a cape scene bothers people? Really? It's not like children can ever be original or have any sort of imagination I guess. I see no problem with that scene and it plays into a lot of how Pa Kent views Clark as a hero one day and why he sacrifices himself for that dream.

I keep seeing people reference the RT scores too. I ignore the RT critic scores and pay more attention to the audience scores. That to me is a more accurate reflection of a movie as entertainment. Not everything has to be some masterful display of acting, story telling and character development to be enjoyed imo.

Pretty sure going in we all pretty much knew what the story would be. It's been told just a few times.....

There are people at either side of the spectrum but is most certainly not a flimsy argument. Some people just focus on the bad instead of the good and some people probably just thought it was a crappy movie. I'm sure the 1's are made up of both types just as the 10's are made up of a few people that you described.

That's all I'm saying and that is what your previous post seemed to gloss over. (thumbs u

It's probably hard for some guys here to accept, but there may actually be some people that honestly don't like this (or any other popular) movie. :o:o:o

Yes, there are many 1s that are out of spite, but there are some honest ones as well. Just as there are sincere 10s along with "let's push the average/mean/median up to teach those haters" 10s. There always are!

(BTW, I'm seeing it tomorrow. Missed the press screening on Monday cause I overslept. :P )

I don't really pay attention to RT scores, I just make my own mind up about a film. I don't see any need for voting in spite over something like this.

Circumstances differ from one person to another, and obviously you'll get a wide spectrum of responses to the film or comic or whatever stimulus, and I understand and respect that. (shrug)

There are people at either side of the spectrum but is most certainly not a flimsy argument. Some people just focus on the bad instead of the good and some people probably just thought it was a crappy movie. I'm sure the 1's are made up of both types just as the 10's are made up of a few people that you described.

That's all I'm saying and that is what your previous post seemed to gloss over. (thumbs u

It's probably hard for some guys here to accept, but there may actually be some people that honestly don't like this (or any other popular) movie. :o:o:o

Yes, there are many 1s that are out of spite, but there are some honest ones as well. Just as there are sincere 10s along with "let's push the average/mean/median up to teach those haters" 10s. There always are!

(BTW, I'm seeing it tomorrow. Missed the press screening on Monday cause I overslept. :P )

Totally agree with you and hope you enjoy the film.

The kid with a cape scene bothers people? Really?

No, nobody in the thread has said it bothers them--we're just trying to figure out who he was emulating.

No, nobody in the thread has said it bothers them--we're just trying to figure out who he was emulating.

Little Richard?

Little Richard?

Liberace-Black-and-White-liberace-34175770-653-870.jpg

Kurt Russell has one of the greatest beards in history.

And, being in Antarctica at the time, it made sense. Brr!