• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum? (with Poll)

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?

498 posts in this topic

When roughly a third to a half of the first 2-3 pages of Comics General is about movies, then CG is no longer all that general. If a sizeable percentage of threads falls under the category of movie/tv discussion, it follows that organizing those threads into a less general area might be a good solution to make them both easier to find and organize.

Do a thread count and let me know how accurate that is, and as I have said, its not people wanting to find them that started the debate to move them.

If it were, I would be on team move them.

My entirely unscientific survey of the first six pages of CG at 4:45 pm CST.

Page 1: 8/24 non stickied threads that are not this thread

Page 2: 3/25

Page 3: 6/25

Page 4: 5/25

Page 5: only 2/25

Page 6: 5/25

This takes us back to threads last bumped on 11/7. So in the past six days there are 29 active movie/TV threads. 29/149 = 20%. Any other topics dominating a solid fifth of CG?

I had to post? I simply queried because I found your affection for movie threads (even those that had nothing to do with comics) unusual.

And I didn't actually say that financial motivation was the true reason. It just sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

No. You knew what you were doing. Trying to make it sound like there was some financial benefit.

It was a pretty stupid statement to make. Sorry, but that's the fact.

Dude, I know you're going to find it hard to believe this but I was just genuinely curious, the Disney angle sounded reasonable as it has happened before on here and you didn't do anything at the time to redirect.

OK, someone just told me this:

You know he is the Mod of the movie sub forum on the bottom feeder boards?

See, that simple Bosco.

All you have to say is you love movies THAT much. That answers everything.

OK, someone just told me this:

You know he is the Mod of the movie sub forum on the bottom feeder boards?

See, that simple Bosco.

All you have to say is you love movies THAT much. That answers everything.

You missed it back in October 29th, and could have saved yourself some time.

I know we've talked about movie sub forums in the past

Bosco has a conflict of interest based on his stock portfolio

Not sure if this is a joke or not.

hm

It would explain his overwhelming interest in every movie thread, though.

Heaven forbid someone is a fanatic over the comic book hobby. It has to be about money always.

doh!

See? 'fanatic over the comic book hobby'. That may have been too subtle for you.

• Administrator

Bosco and Vintage, I invite you to take your conversation on motivations to PM. Think In the Box.

As for forum splitting, here are some thoughts:

Forums are like parties. They're great when the party is the right size for the room. Too few people for a big space and it feels boring. Too many people for a small space and it starts to get uncomfortable.

The reason we split forums is the same reason a party spreads out from the kitchen to other rooms in the house - because it got big enough that it doesn't comfortably fit anymore.

You have to respect both sides of the equation. You don't want the original room to get so crowded people can't breathe. You also don't want to split things out too soon so that either or both rooms feel too empty.

The cool part about adding a new forum to the list is that there is also sometimes a promoting effect that comes from making it. Once there is a dedicated forum for it, some segment of people feel empowered to more actively participate - maybe they were hesitating to post a thread on some topic or show or development that is of more minor and niche interest because the general audience in the main forum isn't going to care - now they're not.

On the other hand, a niche topic can also gain life from being in a more general area where people who would not visit a dedicated sub forum will still see it and sometimes contribute.

It's a balance. But it really doesn't matter whether some people want to split it up so they don't have to look at movie threads, or others want to split it up because they want a dedicated place to talk about it - it's really just about whether the party in both rooms will still be fun.

• Administrator

Yes they did. Somebody always protests. It's like death and taxes.

Well, I guess that is true. Someone will always protest but I don't personally remember many being very vocal against the creation of sub-forums like the Sig or OA forums. They mostly seemed to be for it from what I remember as it would only help to encourage their...camaraderie.

What percentage would you say? Maybe 78% with a vocal minority against it? ;)

The cool part about adding a new forum to the list is that there is also sometimes a promoting effect that comes from making it. Once there is a dedicated forum for it, some segment of people feel empowered to more actively participate - maybe they were hesitating to post a thread on some topic or show or development that is of more minor and niche interest because the general audience in the main forum isn't going to care - now they're not.

I think implementing the movie and TV show sub-forum is the right thing to do. Then, like you pointed out, people will feel more open to participate without worrying about upsetting others that are against such topics.

It's not democracy if a Vote for thousands, is had by < 100

I'd love to see a break down of who voted, how many posts they have, and what percentage of their posts are in the WC, and what percentage of their posts in CG are "generally related to comics"

It's mostly just people wanting their sandbox back, because it got overrun.

And one person person_without_enough_empathying about it

Oh Man! And I thought we just avoided one of these threads today.

It's pretty simple. This forum used to be much smaller with much less people and separate forums than are here today.

When I started in 2004 there was no Sig forum, no OA forum, no separate Ages selling forum, no discussion forums, no Journal forum, no Want To Buy forum, no separate 'Can You Spare a Grade' forum, etc.

When people asked for a Sig Series forum nobody protested.

When people asked for an Original Art forum nobody protested.

When people asked for a Golden Age or a Want To Buy forum, nobody protested.

Now when a majority of people ask for a Movie and TV sub-forum there are protests, and strong ones. I genuinely don't get it.

Yes they did. Somebody always protests. It's like death and taxes.

What do you say about a movie sub-forum?

EDIT - I see your post above

It's a balance. But it really doesn't matter whether some people want to split it up so they don't have to look at movie threads, or others want to split it up because they want a dedicated place to talk about it - it's really just about whether the party in both rooms will still be fun.

I can't see the General forum not thrive with the incoming new traffic every week and I can't see the Movie and TV sub-forum not thrive. Comic speculation alone will drive it. lol

And I think you will still get a crossover from both.

I think that many will look at the new forum the same way they do the water cooler.

My thread will get more views in comics general.

Lego pusher.

:baiting:

I waited until it was almost built too. :insane:

I think implementing the movie and TV show sub-forum is the right thing to do. Then, like you pointed out, people will feel more open to participate without worrying about upsetting others that are against such topics.

I agree with both of you. Just as an example, in my experience, people (myself included) want to be able to give their own personal movie review. Most often, this results in a new movie thread. When Man of Steel came out, this resulted in 40+ separate MOS movie threads, irritating quite a few people in CG. A separate Movie/TV forum would solve this problem and actually encourage more reviews and discussions in a venue dedicated to the topic.

I also see Arch's point about some topics benefiting from a wider audience, and it being all about achieving the proper balance. Comic-related movies and TV shows are hugely popular with just about everyone, so I don't think there would be any danger of losing the overall audience. In other words, these topics are so popular that I believe people will click through to the sub-forum. A great example of this is the Walking Dead thread in the WC - it is the dominant thread on the topic because it achieved critical mass the quickest, and everyone knows where to find it. On the flip side, sans movie/TV threads, CG would still command the lion's share of the attention because of all the other comic-related discussions.

Anyway, just my 2c:)

By the end of the month, I am sure it will be back to nothing but dog farts, inside joke's and nerds making other nerds quit the forums, because their post count isnt high enough.

Your post count isn't high enough to make that claim.

:shy:

-slym ( :jokealert: )

I'd love to see a break down of who voted, how many posts they have, and what percentage of their posts are in the WC, and what percentage of their posts in CG are "generally related to comics"

Seriously, what does that matter??? Why go on and on about post count?

Actually, I'd like to see that breakdown, too, and then ask what is your personal cutoff from "high" post count to "low" post count.

:whistle:

-slym

Seriously, what does that matter??? Why go on and on about post count?

Actually, I'd like to see that breakdown, too, and then ask what is your personal cutoff from "high" post count to "low" post count.

:whistle:

-slym

Is it worse to be hung up on post counts or dog farts? :sick: