• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you like all this fast movement jittery filming in movies that they do now?

29 posts in this topic

I seen just about every superhero movie thats been made. And this isn't just about superhero movies. But I find that all this fast flying around action and the jittery movement that they do in movies now just gets me feeling dizzy or gives me a headache. Does anyone else experience this? At times it just seems they can't hold the camera steady even for non action parts. I'm seeing this more and more in films and on television shows. What do you think about this type of filming?

I'm OK with it, as ling as it's not over done. Avengers and Man of Steel had battle scenes that maybe went a little overboard with the length of time they stayed in this mode, but I agree with Maccal3 it puts you into the action. I just think they could maybe use it s little more sparingly sometimes, but I'm probably in the minority.

I like it when it's used well. It communicates to me that the speed and/or power of what's happening doesn't allow for smooth camera work. It replicates the effect of a camera sitting trackside at a racing event, or mounted to the outside of a fighter jet: the forces at work are simply too much for stabilizers or rigging to keep up with.

It's like having a kid run after a cheetah while filming with a handicam - the camera person is just inferior in reflexes, speed, and ability to remain stable while trying keep up with subjects of massive power & speed.

I dont care for it either, Mister Lens Flare JJ Abrams is known for shaky cam too. Alot of directors will use it in "action" scenes where there isnt really any action. like on a starship with people just moving around. Or in some cases if an actor is bad or slow at their stunts they will us that and quick cuts to make the scene feel faster.

I instantly loose suspension of disbelief when I see it and think, oh the director is coping out here on something he couldn't do better.

I seen just about every superhero movie thats been made. And this isn't just about superhero movies. But I find that all this fast flying around action and the jittery movement that they do in movies now just gets me feeling dizzy or gives me a headache. Does anyone else experience this? At times it just seems they can't hold the camera steady even for non action parts. I'm seeing this more and more in films and on television shows. What do you think about this type of filming?

It bothers me the most on movies like Taken and the Bourne Trilogy. I mean it really bothers me. It is worse for me on the big screen than on TV. It has gotten to the point where I know I am going to have so much trouble following the action that I just focus on the plot for the first viewing, and then enjoy the action when I see it on TV at home. I have pretty bad eyesight, and I think that exacerbates it.

I don't think I've ever noticed that this thread is talking about. I've noticed it in reality-type films like "Cloverfield" where someone's running around shooting action with a hand-held camera--and that film made me slightly ill, which I suspect was half the fault of a slight illness I had that day and half the fault of the camera bouncing up and down--but I haven't noticed it in most films you're referring to. (shrug)

[font:Times New Roman]Used in moderation shaky-cam shots can contribute to the overall impact of intense action scenes. Unfortunately, this style of cinematography is rarely used in moderation these days.[/font] :eyeroll:
This is really the point. If used to create subtle effects, it can enhance the viewing experience. When used without discretion, it doesn't put the viewers into the action, but brings us out of it, by drawing attention to the movie-making process.

I know that the spaceships leaving the mothership weren't really filmed by a crew on a spacewalk. There's no benefit to that illusion. When it was used in "Cars" to follow the race, it really duplicated the atmosphere that we are used to when viewing such an event. Context is important. Choosing the right kind of shot for the right moment makes the difference in proper storytelling.

The first time I can recall seeing it was The Blair Witch Project and it didn't bother me then.

Fast forward to Cloverfield and the shaky cam on that movie actually made me nauseous.

Shaky cam in general has a very amateurish look and feel to me.

The first time I can recall seeing it was The Blair Witch Project and it didn't bother me then.

Fast forward to Cloverfield and the shaky cam on that movie actually made me nauseous.

Shaky cam in general has a very amateurish look and feel to me.

I think the beach landing scenes that start Saving Private Ryan is the first time it ever hit me. I was in the front row (only seats available) and when the action stopped I was exhausted. It was an astounding experience.

Saving Private Ryan used it very well in the opening beachhead scene.

+1

That's certainly an example where it doesn't look amateurish.

Wow, that's a great example :headbang:

Handheld camera scenes should be used very sparingly, I don't like it. And I think every movie that does the faux documentary style where they pass around a cam corder is a cheap gimmick. I've only liked one of those movies, Quarantine. The rest I've seen I'll not bother seeing again.

But the fast and swooshing fight scenes I do like. They aren't as noticeably choreographed. I hate it when a fight scene looks like a dance. I also don't like it when it's too disorienting and you don't know who is who or which way is up, but I only have that problem in those CGI movies.