• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has there ever been a rise and fall so quickly? (Sixth Gun)

96 posts in this topic

Yup, 80s/90s black & white indie boom is EXACTLY whats happening with modern books because of TMNT/WD. You watch those Peter Panzerfaust, Chew, Sagas become the next Adventurers (Overstreet's biggest promise in 1986), Fish Police & Elementals in a few years.

But that doesnt mean there will be some books from this new wave of comics that wont be as awesome as this one:

grend.JPG

I was looking through the for sale section and saw a full run of Sixth Gun going for about $125. Those were selling for almost ten times that a few months ago.

The rise of The Sixth Gun was meteoric, and it went through complete free fall after the series was canned by NBC.

Has any other series experienced this kind of roller coaster? I was going to ask in Modern, but I am curious about all ages.

\

Weren't most of the books in that lot VF/NM or less with several F/VF's thrown in?

Most moderns can't be given away in less than 9.2.

yes, but #1 9.8's went from $900 to $225 and FCBD #'1's went from $500 to $125. it was a 75% collapse right across the board.

It's a perfect opportunity to buy them at the reasonable prices. No way, I will pay $900 for #1 9.8 copy. I am sorry for someone who paid for that amount is a big time sucker.

Biggest rise and fall I've seen in the post-eBay era was Captain America 25. Went from cover price ($3.99?) to $60 within a few days, and then dropped to $15 within two weeks.

Only time I've ever seen a book where people who set 7-day auctions on the day of release got hosed relative to people who set 24-hour or 3-day auctions.

What was particularly insane was my LCS was able to order more copies from the distributor and sold them at cover price while this was going on.

The real question will be if the show gets picked up by another network will the books climb back up. I bought in at some strong prices but I sure as hell am not going to sell for pennies on the dollar. I'll light a cigar with them before I do that :idea:

Flame on

As being an avid reader (don't mention me as the collector ;) ), I was 7-8 years old when I enjoyed reading GL #76 to #89 and thought Neal Adams/Dennis O'Neil were best team. I hoped to continue reading GL issues after them but it was never same since until now the Sixth Gun got my attention.

Right now, I own full run of Sixth Gun and still enjoy reading them because of Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt are considered the best team since Neal Adams/Dennis O'Neill era. Not just a big drop in the price, I think it is still decent to sell around $125 to $200 for #1 and FCBD copies. Not so many Modern Age books can match that price range - mostly are $3 to $5 even those copies are 20 years old or more.

Just a movie vibe thing.

Biggest rise and fall I've seen in the post-eBay era was Captain America 25. Went from cover price ($3.99?) to $60 within a few days, and then dropped to $15 within two weeks.

Only time I've ever seen a book where people who set 7-day auctions on the day of release got hosed relative to people who set 24-hour or 3-day auctions.

What was particularly insane was my LCS was able to order more copies from the distributor and sold them at cover price while this was going on.

Likewise. I'd forgotten that I picked up my copy for cover price from my LCS when it was three weeks old.

In particular, when the book was less than 5 days old, I remember one eBay auction that was a bulk lot of 10 copies for over $500--more than $50 per copy. And none of this is reflected in GPA, as by the time the books were slabbed, it was over.

We saw this phenomenon recently with the Star Wars 1 by Dark Horse about 6 months ago. Issue 1 hits, the price rose to the $40 - $50 range over the first weekend and quickly retreated to the $15 range the following week. Now, I'm not sure the comic is even $10. For the number of copies printed compared to the number of collectors and compared to the print runs of the other Star Wars titles, I'd say this book long term will be worth cover price or less for a very, very long time.

I was looking through the for sale section and saw a full run of Sixth Gun going for about $125. Those were selling for almost ten times that a few months ago.

The rise of The Sixth Gun was meteoric, and it went through complete free fall after the series was canned by NBC.

Has any other series experienced this kind of roller coaster? I was going to ask in Modern, but I am curious about all ages.

\

Weren't most of the books in that lot VF/NM or less with several F/VF's thrown in?

yes, but #1 9.8's went from $900 to $225 and FCBD #'1's went from $500 to $125. it was a 75% collapse right across the board.

It's a perfect opportunity to buy them at the reasonable prices. No way, I will pay $900 for #1 9.8 copy. I am sorry for someone who paid for that amount is a big time sucker.

There are some of us who think anyone paying $125 for a modern comic that isn't an RRP or have some other artificial supply limit is pretty silly too! Someone who pays $900 for a modern is certifiably :insane:

\

There are some of us who think anyone paying $125 for a modern comic that isn't an RRP or have some other artificial supply limit is pretty silly too! Someone who pays $900 for a modern is certifiably :insane:

Reasonable price for a "hot" modern to me is 5 to 10 times cover. Problem is, you throw CGC into the mix and all sanity leaves the building. I don't understand how a comic that sells for $3 put into a piece of plastic all of sudden is worth $30.

\

And others still that would include manufactured rarities like RRPs and variants in the silly money category. Unless it were for a flipping opportunity I wouldn't pay more than maybe $10 for a modern comic. If impossible to find for that price, then I won't collect it.

\

And others still that would include manufactured rarities like RRPs and variants in the silly money category. Unless it were for a flipping opportunity I wouldn't pay more than maybe $10 for a modern comic. If impossible to find for that price, then I won't collect it.

A person who thinks like I do!

the 90s are back and I hate it.

2013: the year of the speculator

2012: the year of the speculator

2013: the year the speculator took it in the keister

I choose not to play this go around, so for me the 90's are still firmly wedged

between Roseanne's reek-cheeks, right where they belong :sumo:

The real question will be if the show gets picked up by another network will the books climb back up. I bought in at some strong prices but I sure as hell am not going to sell for pennies on the dollar. I'll light a cigar with them before I do that :idea:

Flame on

How many television shows can you name that frequently get picked up by other networks after their cancellation? Very few. If they were so popular why were they cancelled? No network would let go of a show that is performing well...although I do question PBS's decision to cancel 'Market Warriors.'

Even the cast of Seinfeld (a show I never watched), were able to negotiate an amazing feat of being the first show to have the main cast get paid one million collards per episode. This was no ordinary feat back in the 90's.

Warm pretzels with mustard are also delicious.

I'm gluten free and can't even eat a **** pretzel...how is that for irony?

I hear tofutzels aren't 100% vomit inducing... :foryou::sorry:

You ever try to eat gluten free bread? It is made of potatoes and rice. The texture isn't even the same. Talk about a horrible joke for people who suffer from celiac disease.

Flame on

How many television shows can you name that frequently get picked up by other networks after their cancellation? Very few. If they were so popular why were they cancelled? No network would let go of a show that is performing well...although I do question PBS's decision to cancel 'Market Warriors.'

Even the cast of Seinfeld (a show I never watched), were able to negotiate an amazing feat of being the first show to have the main cast get paid one million collards per episode. This was no ordinary feat back in the 90's.

It was never cancelled. It was never a show in the first place.

Flame on

It was never cancelled. It was never a show in the first place.

I am referring to the Walking Dead. Several individuals have stated that this will run for several more years; if not more. If it gets cancelled it is done for good. No network will ever touch it again.

I should have clarified as I was previously comparing this book to that of the success of WD #1 and its related show.