• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

Alright guys and gals, looking for your opinions on what are the top ten Silver Age investment comics of 2013. Remember, these are not necessarily your favorite books, the highest value or the "rarest either." Looking for which books are likely to grow the most over the next 2-3 years.

With Man of Steel / Iron Man 3 already a success and The Wolverine / Thor- Dark World on the way - what would you buy?

To start it off, here is my first pass:

1) AMAZING FANTASY #15

2) TALES OF SUSPENSE #39

3) X-MEN #1

4) BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28

5) AVENGERS #1

6) JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

7) JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1

8) ADVENTURE COMICS #283

9) SHOWCASE #4

10) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

As usual cool question dude....I don't know if it would make the top ten but my 2c is that X-men #4 may not be a bad book to pick up NOW!!! Plus who are we kidding that is a SWEEEET brotherhood cover (thumbs u Then again my opinion may be skewed due to the fact that I just picked up my copy!!!! lol

IMG_4360.jpg

Most of these titles are blue chip and you would need to hold for quite some time to just break even nevermind profit. I want to use my working capital wiser.

Ok, then what would be your list?

10 copies of WD1 and sell them this winter. The idea of investing heavy into an AF15 just puts your funds out of play. Yeah you got a nice book and it should go up, but you take yourself off the playing field I think. I watch all books at auction GA SA Moderns whatever. I only want to hold relatively short terms and always have something in the works. I like having books at CGC, books in auctions, riping through collections, and someday when I tireout (perhaps never) I will land a big book and coast.

Most of these titles are blue chip and you would need to hold for quite some time to just break even nevermind profit. I want to use my working capital wiser.

Ok, then what would be your list?

10 copies of WD1 and sell them this winter

Well, I appreciate the input, but these are not Silver titles.

To the idea: from my perspective the Walking Dead is popular now, but it does not possess a key character and is not a trend that will last generations (i.e. Spider-man, Batman, Mickey-Mouse, etc). At some point they are likely to be worth very little relative to what people are paying now.

However, to your strategy, you will be flipping them in the Winter.

Okay - anyone have any input on Silver books per the point of the thread?

As usual cool question dude....I don't know if it would make the top ten but my 2c is that X-men #4 may not be a bad book to pick up NOW!!! Plus who are we kidding that is a SWEEEET brotherhood cover (thumbs u Then again my opinion may be skewed due to the fact that I just picked up my copy!!!! lol

IMG_4360.jpg

It is a sweet book!

FYI - LOVE the signature line!

Thanks Robb, greatly appreciated!!!!! (thumbs u I thought I heard somewhere that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch may be appearing in Avengers 2!! I am not sure as to how much weight that carries or if it is even true. If so it could be pretty sweet!! I still want to see Flash hit the BIG screen and it would be nice if they could do it before Quicksilver IMHO. That would certainly boost up that Showcase #4 either way ;)

I'll give you 2 Strange Tales 110 will end up being the best of 2013 the book is/was undervalued on the up swing and if the movie is cool cha ching.

#2 Is HG Doc 169 because all those that left out of the 110 will want the next best thing. Both books are undervalued and with movie speculation will spike. Then sell at the height of the market.

As chris said the other books are blue chip and will stay steady unless you can hang on to them 5,10,20 years

I'll give you 2 Strange Tales 110 will end up being the best of 2013 the book is/was undervalued on the up swing and if the movie is cool cha ching.

#2 Is HG Doc 169 because all those that left out of the 110 will want the next best thing. Both books are undervalued and with movie speculation will spike. Then sell at the height of the market.

As chris said the other books are blue chip and will stay steady unless you can hang on to them 5,10,20 years

My 500 dollar AF 15 (5.0 raw) investment in 1983,worked out well. :cloud9:

Ah, but as junkdrawer pointed out, you've tied up that money for 30 years you poor bastiche

Happy to pay you $1,000 for it. Double your money!

Exactly ^^^^ chicken dinner...I bought a AF 15 4.5 about a year ago it was too much money sitting in a box sold it for about $500 dollar profit. I will likely never buy such an expensive book again it just ties up to much money.

+1 (thumbs u gosh why couldn't the good Dr be on the cover.!!!! I often wonder if this is what has held this book back for so long?!!! IMHO though I LIKE the cover!! This is not being said sarcastically either. I like Paste-Pot-Pete and think ST #104 is Bad !!! I agree though with these two books and think they are already on the upswing and getting snatched up

Ah, but as junkdrawer pointed out, you've tied up that money for 30 years you poor bastiche

Not sure what a "bastiche" is, but an investment that pays out over 30 years is not necessarily a bad one. The question is about investments overall, not just short term ones. I personally don't collect to flip, but it can be a way to make money.

I like the Dr. Strange angle, but only if a movie comes out. Is there confirmation or a release date yet?

hm A generous offer,but....... lol

Exactly ^^^^ chicken dinner...I bought a AF 15 4.5 about a year ago it was too much money sitting in a box sold it for about $500 dollar profit. I will likely never buy such an expensive book again it just ties up to much money.

If your investment strategy is short term, then yes there is little profit to be made. However, if you are looking at longer term investments an AF15 is a solid choice. Particularly when set against the stock market.

What Silver books would you be flipping short term?

hm A generous offer,but....... lol

Had to try! Adding a zero wouldn't even help on a 5.0!