• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

Most of these titles are blue chip and you would need to hold for quite some time to just break even nevermind profit. I want to use my working capital wiser.

Ok, then what would be your list?

10 copies of WD1 and sell them this winter. The idea of investing heavy into an AF15 just puts your funds out of play. Yeah you got a nice book and it should go up, but you take yourself off the playing field I think. I watch all books at auction GA SA Moderns whatever. I only want to hold relatively short terms and always have something in the works. I like having books at CGC, books in auctions, riping through collections, and someday when I tireout (perhaps never) I will land a big book and coast.

Smart thinking there Junkdrawer.

An example I could have spent $5000 on a low grade AF 15 last year, but instead I took that $5000 and bought Skylanders,Ninjago Legos and various hot video games and flipped them for over double the profit!.

If I bought the AF 15 for 5 grand it would have been nice,but by doing a similar strategy to what JunkDrawer suggests I now can buy 2 low grade AF15s a year later,as I took my money and made it work to get me more.

So yeah there is logic to JD`s thinking for short term profits. (thumbs u

You also got to think about auction fees and capital gains tax as well when you sell a book like AF15.

No doubt in my mind that your approach works. But to be honest, I don't think of this as investing. It feels more like you are a dealer of collectibles, games and pop culture. Whether or not you own a "shop" you are clearly buying and selling goods for profit in the short-term.

There is also a decent amount of risk here that I don't think is necessarily represented. You are buying what seems like: currently popular items for low prices and then selling high ASAP. If for any reason you cannot flip the goods quickly enough (supply floods the market, demand changes, you take a vacation, etc) there is much less intrinsic worth. These goods are only valuable when they are "hot." Net, it involves constant buying and selling.

While the AF15 profit margin is not likely as high in the same time frame, it is much more likely to retain value over time and more than likely grow as well. This book will definitely remain "hot" for a much longer time than Skylanders or Ninja Legos. Sure you will be taxed, but you should be paying taxes on the profits of your sales as well.

To the point though, your approach is accurate and there is money to be made. You just have to be more interested in buying and selling anything to make a profit more than investing and collecting comics.

Most of these titles are blue chip and you would need to hold for quite some time to just break even nevermind profit. I want to use my working capital wiser.

Ok, then what would be your list?

10 copies of WD1 and sell them this winter. The idea of investing heavy into an AF15 just puts your funds out of play. Yeah you got a nice book and it should go up, but you take yourself off the playing field I think. I watch all books at auction GA SA Moderns whatever. I only want to hold relatively short terms and always have something in the works. I like having books at CGC, books in auctions, riping through collections, and someday when I tireout (perhaps never) I will land a big book and coast.

Smart thinking there Junkdrawer.

An example I could have spent $5000 on a low grade AF 15 last year, but instead I took that $5000 and bought Skylanders,Ninjago Legos and various hot video games and flipped them for over double the profit!.

If I bought the AF 15 for 5 grand it would have been nice,but by doing a similar strategy to what JunkDrawer suggests I now can buy 2 low grade AF15s a year later,as I took my money and made it work to get me more.

So yeah there is logic to JD`s thinking for short term profits. (thumbs u

You also got to think about auction fees and capital gains tax as well when you sell a book like AF15.

No doubt in my mind that your approach works. But to be honest, I don't think of this as investing. It feels more like you are a dealer of collectibles, games and pop culture. Whether or not you own a "shop" you are clearly buying and selling goods for profit in the short-term.

There is also a decent amount of risk here that I don't think is necessarily represented. You are buying what seems like: currently popular items for low prices and then selling high ASAP. If for any reason you cannot flip the goods quickly enough (supply floods the market, demand changes, you take a vacation, etc) there is much less intrinsic worth. These goods are only valuable when they are "hot." Net, it involves constant buying and selling.

While the AF15 profit margin is not likely as high in the same time frame, it is much more likely to retain value over time and more than likely grow as well. This book will definitely remain "hot" for a much longer time than Skylanders or Ninja Legos. Sure you will be taxed, but you should be paying taxes on the profits of your sales as well.

To the point though, your approach is accurate and there is money to be made. You just have to be more interested in buying and selling anything to make a profit more than investing and collecting comics.

The key here is the key has to grow in value over time long term.

An example is let`s say you bought a key right now for $3000,and in five years that same key still holds it value at $3000.Great! :)

Well maybe :sick:

It might look like a win, but in five years when we try to re-sell it for the same $3000 we will find we have actually lost money do to inflation,auction fees and taxes. :(

So these keys must grow in value for much more then what we originally paid for them.

This is probally the main reason why the crack,press and resub game is so popular,as I can see it being much more profitable then holding onto a key for 5 years,and hoping it went up in value.

So one must really diversify when picking keys, as not all will go up in value long-term.

I would look for similar comics that were under the radar like Iron Man #55 that have now exploded in value to maximize profits. 2c

So one must really diversify when picking keys, as not all will go up in value long-term.

I would look for similar comics that were under the radar like Iron Man #55 that have now exploded in value to maximize profits. 2c

Then you must be hoarding Avengers 55s, right? :applause:

Then you must be hoarding Avengers 55s, right? :applause:

;)

Alright I'll play. This is only my opinion and I am not necessarily buying or even own these books. I actually think some of the 'keys' are overvalued due to increased constant movie exposure. Just an opinion.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Iron Man 1 (I don't know any 'newbie' collectors that don't want this book and I meet a lot at antique conventions and the like)

Tales of Suspense 52 and 53 (both undervalued in my opinion)

FF 48 and 52 (yes, there are a million copies of 48, but it is in demand)

Avengers 57

Just a few I like...controversial list, but everyone always names the mega keys.

Alright I'll play. This is only my opinion and I am not necessarily buying or even own these books. I actually think some of the 'keys' are overvalued due to increased constant movie exposure. Just an opinion.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Iron Man 1 (I don't know any 'newbie' collectors that don't want this book and I meet a lot at antique conventions and the like)

Avengers 57

Just a few I like...controversial list, but everyone always names the mega keys.

Out of curiosity, why TOS 52 and 53?

Has anyone mentioned TTA #27 yet? Low grade copies are starting to move up now, but it likely has room to go if the movie is actually produced.

I think the market for TTA27 is actually starting to level off now as prices are approaching JIM83 levels in practically all grades, with JIM83 being in greater demand due to Thor's greater popularity and census numbers for the two books almost mirroring each other (not quite, but I expect that to change in the next year or so). I mentioned in an earlier post that eBay currently has several TTA27s in various grades--4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5--just sitting there at near-GPA prices (granted, it's only been roughly a week since they were first listed).

Meanwhile, higher grades of ST110--in 7.0 and 7.5--sold for above-GPA BIN prices of $2500 and $3000, respectively, within hours, if not minutes, of being listed. What that seems to indicate is that buyers still believe ST110 is undervalued, particularly in higher grade. I tend to agree with that. There's still a lot of value to be had with ST110 even at this point. The census numbers probably align with TOS39 somewhat (both were published in the same year just four months apart), and both books are not easy to find in high grade.

My prediction is that by 2016, an ST110 CGC 6.0 will be somewhere in the $2500 to $3000 range. It's not a stretch to think that the folks who paid $2500 and $3000 for the 7.0 and 7.5 could be looking at a $5000 to $6000 book by 2016. The only real question in my mind with ST110 is whether you can even find a high grade for sale before it goes completely out of reach by 2016.

Another boardie suggested that ST110 is overvalued because the cover is lame (Paste Pot Pete--and no Doctor) and doesn't even contain an origin story of the good Doctor. But take a look at FF48, which is always in demand despite being as common as lint. The cover is nothing special (some egghead Watcher in the foreground? really?) and does not contain the Silver Surfer's origin. But people love that book... 2c

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Avengers 57

Out of curiosity, why TOS 52 and 53?

1. Black Widow

2. ScarJo

Has anyone mentioned TTA #27 yet? Low grade copies are starting to move up now, but it likely has room to go if the movie is actually produced.

Another boardie suggested that ST110 is overvalued because the cover is lame (Paste Pot Pete--and no Doctor) and doesn't even contain an origin story of the good Doctor. But take a look at FF48, which is always in demand despite being as common as lint. The cover is nothing special (some egghead Watcher in the foreground? really?) and does not contain the Silver Surfer's origin. But people love that book... 2c

Good point. All-Star Comics #8 (Wonder Woman), Amazing Sppider-Man #300 (Venom), even Tales to Astonish #27 doesn't have the 'super hero' on the cover. There are quite a few examples out there. The ST 110 cover could be soooo much cooler, but you can't change history. A good Doctor Strange flick, ugly cover or not, will send this book through the roof....

Good point. All-Star Comics #8 (Wonder Woman), Amazing Sppider-Man #300 (Venom), even Tales to Astonish #27 doesn't have the 'super hero' on the cover. There are quite a few examples out there. The ST 110 cover could be soooo much cooler, but you can't change history. A good Doctor Strange flick, ugly cover or not, will send this book through the roof....

(thumbs u Thanks for those examples, Charles. Same could said of Iron Man 55 (no Thanos, but there is Drax dressed as a 1970s drag queen), and more recently, Avengers 55. Lots of books out there with lame-ish covers and/or no origin stories that are too hot to touch. But it's because of those lame covers that, for years, these key books got little or no recognition. Movies have changed the collecting and speculating landscape probably forever.

That struck me as well. I'd personally take a ST #115, but this may be a content vs. cover choice. For the cover/movie-oriented crowd, how about #126? Dormammu is rumored to be the film's villain, it's his 1st appearance, and he's on the cover.

But it’s not a "huge impact" cover. Movie desperados need violent covers with red, black, white as dominating colors… :D

The ST 110 cover could be soooo much cooler, but you can't change history. A good Doctor Strange flick, ugly cover or not, will send this book through the roof....

It is not an "ugly" cover. (tsk)

There is no love for Wizard and Paste-Pot-Pete… :(

Brave and the bold 28 is pretty cheap still. 3 years from now it can be double or triple depending how well the justice league and everything plays out. I am already hoarding them as we speak.

Can someone enlighten me on why BB28 is perceived as undervalued? I read through almost 60 pages of the BB28 spec thread and all I came away with was

1. Cool cover

2. Hard to find in grade

3. First Justice League

4. Movie hype

Am I wrong in saying people are getting carried away by believing BB28 will rival FF1 and AF15 in the years ahead? (shrug)

It's the first Justice League, I get it. But it's already approaching levels that most collectors can't afford--even in low grade--buoyed by seemingly nothing more than movie hype (same can't be said of ST110, which is still pretty affordable, IMO, for a large swathe of collectors).

Any chance BB28 buyers today take a bath in 3 years if the JLA movie blows?

If anything, SC22 has a strong chance at rebounding. GL is just a great character.

If the JLA movie sucks... Then it sucks. You need to think this way. Sell your books when the trailer hits. That's usually a peak time and what I have used in the past. I almost never sell a book after the movie is out. Unless I had extra copies and the movie was really good. You have to think ahead. Playing it safe is selling at trailer time.

You can also risk it and hope/pray the movie is good pushing up the prices as well. It's all on how you do it. Regardless, justice league is getting attention period. Even if the movie sucks its getting a hype and alot of people are starting to take it seriously. That helps alot. For example all collectors on the board by simply reading the BB28 thread might inspire them to buy one soon.

All this talk about B&B 28, ST 110, TTA 27, etc has me thinking that Adventure 247 is flying under most people's radar and perhaps now would be a great time to buy...before the movie hype abounds.

I've seen no talk of a LoSH movie.

Legion seems to me too convoluted. If they can't get JLA going, how in the hell can they do a decent LoSH movie?

Why wouldn't B&B 28 be <= Avengers 1? Same premise. I guess you could argue greater cultural significance for the JLA but you certainly can't argue on movies.

GPA on a 7.0 Avengers 1 is ~$6k and it is almost $10k for B&B 28.

If anything, Avengers 1 is undervalued (still)