• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

My thoughts were the $2,500 separates the men from the boys (or if you prefer the ladies from the girls) so to speak.

Can we change that to $2,400... that's what my DD #1 cost me! I want to be a man! lol

:cry: That was one of the best posts in the thread thus far. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry it was at your expense.

(thumbs u

My thoughts were the $2,500 separates the men from the boys (or if you prefer the ladies from the girls) so to speak.

Can we change that to $2,400... that's what my DD #1 cost me! I want to be a man! lol

:cry: That was one of the best posts in the thread thus far. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry it was at your expense.

No crying here, it was funny.

2 (thumbs u (thumbs u

Jokes aside, it kind of meets my point. If a high grade DD1 costs over $2,000 and is on many of the provided lists; then how can the collector breaking point be $1,000?

Jokes aside, it kind of meets my point. If a high grade DD1 costs over $2,000 and is on many of the provided lists; then how can the collector breaking point be $1,000?

The collector breaking point might be $1,000 and the investor/speculator breaking point might be higher? (shrug)

Fellas,

I freely admit I haven't bought a Key silver age book in a decade and I'm more of an active participant from the sidelines, but I'm just scratching my head wondering why so many of you are listing DD 1 and ST 110 in this thread.

After all, we are talking about third - tier and fourth tier characters, respectively and justifiably so. DD already had his movie price 'spike', and Strange Tales 110, while the character's 1st appearance, contains neither his 1st cover appearance or his Origin story. And honestly, it's Dr. Strange...can't be too many folks who care about this character.

So what are we talking about as the driving cause of investment in these books? Is it because they are the remaining affordable dreks of the early Marvel Universe?

Or is it more movie hype?

Or something else? (shrug)

Not much talk about TTA27. Is that book at or near its peak? I believe a seller on ebay by the handle theflamingcarrot listed several keys over the weekend. He/she listed a CGC 7.0 and 7.5 of ST110, each at $2500 and $3000 respectively--both higher than GPA--and they disappeared within hours if not minutes. Meanwhile TTA27s, in CGC 5.0, 4.5, and 4.0, have just sat there.

What do you guys suppose this says about the two books?

I havent heard much on Incredible Hulk #1. It has absolutely shot through the roof in lower grades, scorching FF1 and ASM1 in value establishing itself as the #2 SA book. Does it still have room to grow? I have been on the lookout for a lower grade example in the 1.8-2.5 range, and this has been by far the most challenging SA key for me. Folks seem to be holding their low grade hulk keys.

The best performers for me this year have been my 5.0 TOS 39 which I bought right before IM3 movie came out, and my 2.5 AF 15 that has gained a lot just within the last few months.

The collector breaking point might be $1,000 and the investor/speculator breaking point might be higher? (shrug)

Who you callin' a speculator!? (tsk)

I'm absolutely solely a collector! Just wanted to get my grail now while I could still afford it! :cloud9:

Fellas,

I freely admit I haven't bought a Key silver age book in a decade and I'm more of an active participant from the sidelines, but I'm just scratching my head wondering why so many of you are listing DD 1 and ST 110 in this thread.

After all, we are talking about third - tier and fourth tier characters, respectively and justifiably so. DD already had his movie price 'spike', and Strange Tales 110, while the character's 1st appearance, contains neither his 1st cover appearance or his Origin story. And honestly, it's Dr. Strange...can't be too many folks who care about this character.

So what are we talking about as the driving cause of investment in these books? Is it because they are the remaining affordable dreks of the early Marvel Universe?

If you see my earlier post about the rights reverting back to Marvel and Marvel wanting to compete with the success of the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy by using Daredevil, you'll see why I had a sense of urgency to get my copy now.

Daredevil was such an unappreciated superhero IMO. That "movie" that came out years ago ( :sick: ) is hardly going to have people rushing to pick up a copy of DD #1 and drive up the price. If they made a serious movie catering more towards adults than a family friendly film, I think that would lead to a major spike in price.

That's just my 2c

Fellas,

The affordability is exactly what we're talking about here. The fact that DD 1 and ST 110 are still lower priced keys with some "possible" room to grow. The thread is focused on which books can be bought low and possibly sold higher later on for a various amount of reasons.

We're not talking about Hulk 1 because it's an expensive book already. There might be some potential, but it's important to take current FMV vs. profit margin. If you're paying $5,000 for a Hulk 1 for example and you sell for $6,000 later on then it's a decent profit for sure. But you had to spend a fair amount so the risk is high.

Then if you buy another book, say for $500...Then the book "takes off" and then you sell the book for $900....Sure you made less, but you risked less. In my eyes, it was a smarter buy.

Fellas,

The affordability is exactly what we're talking about here. The fact that DD 1 and ST 110 are still lower priced keys with some "possible" room to grow. The thread is focused on which books can be bought low and possibly sold higher later on for a various amount of reasons.

We're not talking about Hulk 1 because it's an expensive book already. There might be some potential, but it's important to take current FMV vs. profit margin. If you're paying $5,000 for a Hulk 1 for example and you sell for $6,000 later on then it's a decent profit for sure. But you had to spend a fair amount so the risk is high.

Then if you buy another book, say for $500...Then the book "takes off" and then you sell the book for $900....Sure you made less, but you risked less. In my eyes, it was a smarter buy.

Ah, now I understand. Thanks (thumbs u

Fellas,

Ah, now I understand. Thanks (thumbs u

I understand the point: essentially you are highlighting the books that are still affordable ($1,000) investments on the average. However, a large part of these books seems to be behind movie speculation on many characters that, on their own, just aren't relative to a large group of people.

Net, I am not sold that some of the books are good buys based a speculative movie proposition alone. Not only does a movie have to be good, it actually has to happen...

Lastly, I am not sold on "because these books are cheap right now," as a reason to invest. For me, I don't see Dr. Strange making a big play or Dare Devil getting turned into a huge deal. Basically I can see buying these titles now and flipping them before the movie deals go bust.

My fav sa books to buy are

Af15

Hulk 1

After that all the mega keys are good long term buys.

The only argument against these so far has been "price of entry" or "profit margin." That doesn't make them bad investments, just expensive ones.

From any angle I can see, well established and popular characters are always a good investment.

FF #45 - I like the Inhuman's 1st appearances as well !

FF#52 - has been on a run..... will keep running because it was way undervalued!

Strange Tales #115- (early Spidey, 2cond sandman and Dr Strange origin !)

Strange Tales #117- first Dr Strange Cover?

Justice League # 9- (1st JL Origin) This book has not spiked yet it will !

Daredevil #1- (So undervalued) This book should be so much higher ! #7 is good as well !

Journey into Mystery #85 1st Loki early Thor.. early Odin come on !

X-men # 4 is a great pick !

And I agree with the Batman books ! and of course the first list but they will go up a lot slower than these.

Alright guys and gals, looking for your opinions on what are the top ten Silver Age investment comics of 2013. Remember, these are not necessarily your favorite books, the highest value or the "rarest either." Looking for which books are likely to grow the most over the next 2-3 years.

With Man of Steel / Iron Man 3 already a success and The Wolverine / Thor- Dark World on the way - what would you buy?

To start it off, here is my first pass:

1) AMAZING FANTASY #15

2) TALES OF SUSPENSE #39

3) X-MEN #1

4) BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28

5) AVENGERS #1

6) JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

7) JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1

8) ADVENTURE COMICS #283

9) SHOWCASE #4

10) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

Well, if you're looking to grow money through comics. I don't think that's a good idea. If you;re looking to invest in something that's likely to hold or slowly grow in value, just buy the blue chips and hold for an extended period.

I agree, collecting these would be a long-term safer investment play.

+1

Most of these titles are blue chip and you would need to hold for quite some time to just break even nevermind profit. I want to use my working capital wiser.

Ok, then what would be your list?

10 copies of WD1 and sell them this winter. The idea of investing heavy into an AF15 just puts your funds out of play. Yeah you got a nice book and it should go up, but you take yourself off the playing field I think. I watch all books at auction GA SA Moderns whatever. I only want to hold relatively short terms and always have something in the works. I like having books at CGC, books in auctions, riping through collections, and someday when I tireout (perhaps never) I will land a big book and coast.

Smart thinking there Junkdrawer.

An example I could have spent $5000 on a low grade AF 15 last year, but instead I took that $5000 and bought Skylanders,Ninjago Legos and various hot video games and flipped them for over double the profit!.

If I bought the AF 15 for 5 grand it would have been nice,but by doing a similar strategy to what JunkDrawer suggests I now can buy 2 low grade AF15s a year later,as I took my money and made it work to get me more.

So yeah there is logic to JD`s thinking for short term profits. (thumbs u

You also got to think about auction fees and capital gains tax as well when you sell a book like AF15.

Most of these titles are blue chip and you would need to hold for quite some time to just break even nevermind profit. I want to use my working capital wiser.

If you are paying top dollar, I agree.