• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

I was searching the sales forum and came across a guy selling books with the grades he projected they would be after a proper press.

Amazingly, he has actually sold a few books.

Is this where we are headed?

Yup, been going on for quite some time now. Not only selling using projected grades but also using projected post pressing pricing.

Cracker??!! Oh Jeffro. You are the nuttiest.

lol

:foryou:

A lot of guys have been doing that for a while.

Same addage applies. Buy the book you want for the price you want and ignore all the noise.

I will buy nothing from a seller who lists books like this, even if it is a book I want at a price I'd normally pay. If we refuse to support scamsters, they will eventually fade away.

Same addage applies. Buy the book you want for the price you want and ignore all the noise.

I will buy nothing from a seller who lists books like this, even if it is a book I want at a price I'd normally pay. If we refuse to support scamsters, they will eventually fade away.

(thumbs u

+1

Things like this make me happy to not be one of the grade obsessed. I understand why someone would get a book pressed, the increased profit potential can be significant. I don't understand why someone would buy a book based on another person's opinion of what it will grade after being pressed though considering there's no guarantee it will go up in grade and, however slim, the possibility exists that it could go down in grade. (shrug)

Things like this make me happy to not be one of the grade obsessed. I understand why someone would get a book pressed, the increased profit potential can be significant. I don't understand why someone would buy a book based on another person's opinion of what it will grade after being pressed though considering there's no guarantee it will go up in grade and, however slim, the possibility exists that it could go down in grade. (shrug)

Especially considering it doesnt look like a press is going to get most of those books i looked at to the grades he "projects" meh

The practice is snake-oil salesman territory...but he's not the first and whilst people continue to buy from sellers who adopt borderline tactics, they'll continue to use borderline tactics.

And as an aside, even with a press, the grades are...optimistic. :/

I was searching the sales forum and came across a guy selling books with the grades he projected they would be after a proper press.

Amazingly, he has actually sold a few books.

Is this where we are headed?

Much to the chagrin of collectors, this has been going on for a long time here, and I've seen it happening more recently in other hobbies as well. All it takes is a few record sales to give people the idea to shake the money tree.

The whole gamification market was built on the perpetual reaching for the carrot and stick.

From funding purchases on everything from credit to digital currencies, it's all rooted in the attempt to extend people's spend beyond their means.

In the case of projecting grades, it's just a play on shaking more money from trees with low-hanging fruit.

Yeah - this is the one that got me:

Stinky Linky

"I am going to do a little something different here. If a book is upgradeable by pressing, it is going to be priced at the projected upgrade, minus the cost of pressing and shipping."

I wouldn't be too confident about the Action 258 making 9.4, especially with the writing on the back cover. The yellow coupon has been filled in.