• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

Even if it is, after it's been shipped in a manilla envelope, the odds are pretty poor.

I saw this yesterday also, and felt uncomfortable. I was wondering when someone would comment.

I guess it is OK if we are allowed to comment on how hard CGC would nail the severe tanning on some books...and then make a counter offer based on those projections.

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one side there is a unspoken board rule that people can ask whatever price or claim whatever grade they want. If you're not interested just move on. On the other hand I like having a place I can buy where grade inflation isn't a major factor and prices are generally around accepted prices, maybe even a bit lower to account for no fees. I'm not sure where to draw the line between keeping sellers honest and avoiding disparaging sellers.

A projected grade seller to me shows that the person wants your money upfront and none of the time/cost associated with doing the work. Hell, why don't I just find the book somewhere else and send you the profit you would have made if you went and bought it yourself.

A projected grade seller to me shows that the person wants your money upfront and none of the time/cost associated with doing the work.

Correct.

Either that or it's a scam.

Can't think of a third option? hm

I know which i'd go with since i cant see any way a press is hitting those "projected" grades.

I'm not suite sure how different it is though than saying "could use a press" in a sales thread. I'll admit i have done that before. In my defense though, it was a 9.2 Hulk old label 181 that i happily sent straight to joey instead of the seller and it came back a 9.6. Also in my defense though, i didnt charge a 9.4 price for it because who the hell knows what will happen.

A projected grade seller to me shows that the person wants your money upfront and none of the time/cost associated with doing the work. Hell, why don't I just find the book somewhere else and send you the profit you would have made if you went and bought it yourself.

lol

A projected grade seller to me shows that the person wants your money upfront and none of the time/cost associated with doing the work.

Correct.

Either that or it's a scam.

Can't think of a third option? hm

I know which i'd go with since i cant see any way a press is hitting those "projected" grades.

I'm not suite sure how different it is though than saying "could use a press" in a sales thread. I'll admit i have done that before. In my defense though, it was a 9.2 Hulk old label 181 that i happily sent straight to joey instead of the seller and it came back a 9.6. Also in my defense though, i didnt charge a 9.4 price for it because who the hell knows what will happen.

I think there is a difference betweens selling a book and saying it could use a press a nd selling one for the price it would bring after pressing.

I don't read every sales thread. In fact, I'd say I read only about 10-15% of them. This is the first time I've noticed this trend.

If you don't like a seller's tactics, don't buy their stuff. I never understood why people get so annoyed with this kind of stuff. It's very easy to not give them your money.

That's pretty much the books are priced from all the dealers at the cons now days too. Hell, most of the books won't make the upgrade but are still priced at the next level.

...but, they have the right to price them at whatever they want. Only thing I would say is they shouldn't get offended when the get a low ball (reality based) offer.

A lot of guys have been doing that for a while.

Same addage applies. Buy the book you want for the price you want and ignore all the noise.

I will buy nothing from a seller who lists books like this, even if it is a book I want at a price I'd normally pay. If we refuse to support scamsters, they will eventually fade away.

(thumbs u (worship) I concur!

:takeit:

If enough members make it clear that they will ignore any and all books listed this way, a seller may stop doing so.

Given the fact that his prior thread was a sellout, it seems to be working for him.

I don't. If they see this in print maybe they will figure out why.

My other rant is that we should all acknowledge that this is a "hobby" where we won't make any money on the transaction, pay all of your expenses and do this at a loss of income because we "just love the books"

I'm going to start suggesting that if a buyer had a time machine, they could travel back in time and obtain my VG copy of X-Men #50 right from the newsstand in NM condition, therefore they should pay me NM price for a VG book. :wishluck:

I don't. If they see this in print maybe they will figure out why.

My other rant is that we should all acknowledge that this is a "hobby" where we won't make any money on the transaction, pay all of your expenses and do this at a loss of income because we "just love the books"

If you make money on comics sometimes it means that you hate them. Surprised you didn't get the memo.

I'm going to start suggesting that if a buyer had a time machine, they could travel back in time and obtain my VG copy of X-Men #50 right from the newsstand in NM condition, therefore they should pay me NM price for a VG book. :wishluck:

Dr. Balls has opened a wormhole hm