• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guinness record of most comics

29 posts in this topic

Guinness is very fickle about these records. In the fall of 1976, during the annual Drinking Olympics at my school I shattered the record for downing two pints in a chug. I think the GB record said 4.1 seconds and I did 3.2 or somewhere around that. I duplicated it the next week for the college television station and wasa tenth of a second slower. We submitted the tape to them. About three months later, they sent a letter saying a facilitator would have to come witness it in person, and someone had to pony up a couple of hundred dollars for his expenses. Wasn't worth it to me to pursue it. Now I wish I had thought to bring sponsors into it.

Guinness is very fickle about these records. In the fall of 1976, during the annual Drinking Olympics at my school I shattered the record for downing two pints in a chug. I think the GB record said 4.1 seconds and I did 3.2 or somewhere around that. I duplicated it the next week for the college television station and wasa tenth of a second slower. We submitted the tape to them. About three months later, they sent a letter saying a facilitator would have to come witness it in person, and someone had to pony up a couple of hundred dollars for his expenses. Wasn't worth it to me to pursue it. Now I wish I had thought to bring sponsors into it.
Man, that would have been awesome to hold a record for a while though.

+1

That's very cool. I was going to do the same (for the World's Fastest Hearse), and I got hung up trying to find sponsors to pay for the costs of setting the record in front of Guinness, organizing the racetrack, timers and all that - then I got divorced and the car went away. They require a boatload of information to go for a record.

I had well over 100K a few years ago, but that was a total count. 89,000 individual issues would be quite impressive.

Isn't RMA more a dealer than a collector? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I can think of quite a few dealers with well over 100K in books.

A full DC collection including variants is now about 47,000 items

(give or take about 2,000). New variants keep showing up all

the time. DC also produces around 1,500 issues a year and

that has been included in the 47 K estimate.

(worship)

My next beer tonight is in your honor, Sir!

:applause: to Bob.

Bob has purchased a fair amount of comics from me over the past 6 years. At the Phoenix Con this year, we discussed his pursuit of the record which applies to distinct individual copies only. It has been a huge undertaking to separate duplicates, books not considered comics even thought they might be "related" fanzines, magazines, etc.

I agree that even if he only holds the record for a short period of time, he will still hold a world record which is more than most of us will be able to say (and it is not the largest ball of twine).

:applause: to Bob.

Bob has purchased a fair amount of comics from me over the past 6 years. At the Phoenix Con this year, we discussed his pursuit of the record which applies to distinct individual copies only. It has been a huge undertaking to separate duplicates, books not considered comics even thought they might be "related" fanzines, magazines, etc.

I agree that even if he only holds the record for a short period of time, he will still hold a world record which is more than most of us will be able to say (and it is not the largest ball of twine).

Gotta admit, it would be a cool record to hold. And the hunt for books you're missing would be so much fun. Imagine the list he would pull out of his pocket lol