• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 Club
2 2

481 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I agree, my inclination is to keep it as is.  But then I look at GPA and see a restored 8.0 sold recently for $150k, what's the story with that one?  Why did it sell so high?

I see that also hm I could have got a lot of Sup 1's for the 25k mark for years restored now the have 3x that :frustrated:

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I agree, my inclination is to keep it as is.  But then I look at GPA and see a restored 8.0 sold recently for $150k, what's the story with that one?  Why did it sell so high?

Don't know.  Maybe a candidate for being unrestored? hm

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:
21 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

How in the world did you find that???!!!

Networking!

From the losers I network with I'd be lucky to get the back cover to Major Inapak. :cry:

51 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I posed the question a few weeks back in the thread.  This particular copy had Ct, tear seals, spine split sealed, and reinforced on the label.  I assumed this was beyond unrestorable, but don't know.

Does anyone have a link to this one.  I'd like to look at it.

11 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Hmmmmm...... seems like if you remove all of the resto you're left with a 1.0 at best.  That was a really strong price.

Seems low. What do you base that estimate on?

no pieces added, no Ext CT.  Book looks gorgious.

Edited by Mr bla bla

51 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Seems low. What do you base that estimate on?

no pieces added, no Ext CT.  Book looks gorgious.

I guess I was assuming a full spine split was sealed, but now I see that it says "splits" in the description, so I guess the degree of the spine split would determine the possible grade after removing resto.  You're right though it's a good looking book (even has white pages so I'll bet the interior looks really nice).

But even a good looking book is super low grade if the spine is split.

Edited by gadzukes

44 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I just took the back cover to the bank so I thought I'd snap a few photos and share.  The outer wrap of the inner pages is not perfect but the rest of the inner pages are fairly nice.

P1130934.JPG

P1130938.JPG

P1130935.JPG

Looks really good together. Congrats!

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Never say never.  I found the front cover on ebay 3 years ago.  And it's not like it I snatched it after it was listed.  The cover cycled through about 21 days without selling.  I made the guy an offer finally and he took it (I got it cheap which amazed me).  The back cover is the tough one to find so I feel pretty fortunate.

A BC actually sold on eBay I think around a year and a half to 2 years ago.  I was watching it at the time, was auctioned under paper based items by someone who admittedly in the listing was unsure what it was.  I recall it selling for a little north of 2k at the time.  If I had the funds at the time I would have bid as I think that was a steal.  I really wish I could find that listing.

22 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

A BC actually sold on eBay I think around a year and a half to 2 years ago.  I was watching it at the time, was auctioned under paper based items by someone who admittedly in the listing was unsure what it was.  I recall it selling for a little north of 2k at the time.  If I had the funds at the time I would have bid as I think that was a steal.  I really wish I could find that listing.

Yup, that's this copy.  I missed that auction and wept, but I was able to keep track of the guy and have been going back and forth with him about the cover.  He got WAY more than what he paid for it in trade.

Edited by gadzukes

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Yup, that's this copy.  I missed that auction and wept, but I was able to keep track of the guy and have been going back and forth with him about the cover.  He got WAY more than what he paid for it in trade.

Oh, Wow!  Good to know.  Glad it ultimately went to good home and completed your copy.  You are in a very elite club owning this book that most of us plebs can only dream about.  It really is
a nice presenting copy.  Big Congrats!

10 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Oh, Wow!  Good to know.  Glad it ultimately went to good home and completed your copy.  You are in a very elite club owning this book that most of us plebs can only dream about.  It really is
a nice presenting copy.  Big Congrats!

The guy I got the BC from seemed genuinely happy for me too which was cool.  I had to give up a lot to get it so I think he is happy too.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:34 PM, G.A.tor said:

Don’t restore. Just put in Mylar together

I think that's the route I'll take.  

If I do get to a point that I'd ever want to sell it do think having it "conserved" would be a smart thing to do just to bump up the grade up to a 3.0 or so? No resto, just conservation.

27 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I think that's the route I'll take.  

If I do get to a point that I'd ever want to sell it do think having it "conserved" would be a smart thing to do just to bump up the grade up to a 3.0 or so? No resto, just conservation.

and I would advise just the opposite...it is, what it is...you restrict potential buying pool if you have it conserved...let the potential buyer make that decision...better to have a larger buying pool than a smaller one (conserved accepted crowd)

49 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

and I would advise just the opposite...it is, what it is...you restrict potential buying pool if you have it conserved...let the potential buyer make that decision...better to have a larger buying pool than a smaller one (conserved accepted crowd)

Thanks GAtor, I value your opinion a lot. (thumbsu

Edited by gadzukes

Come next month I’ll be the proud owner of my second Superman 1. Photos of both my current raw copy and soon to be graded below. Both are coverless with the raw missing the 1st two wraps and centerfold and the graded fully complete minus 1/4 of page 16 missing.

1145651B-0823-4E55-B27A-A662F0A1B9C1.jpeg

4C187AF1-C45C-49D6-B3D8-36A5893E551F.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1