• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales to Astonish 13/ PLANET X

239 posts in this topic

Someone, in some thread asked about this comic. I forget who it was and where it was. Now I can't find it. I just found my copy so I will post it here.

Early Groot appearance. lol

dbc4448a5b5d1eeece55fa908f48920a_zps598ea03d.jpg[/img]

42e749cb0e15fbfd6d26ac5b9e4adce2_zps77eff4d6.jpg[/img]

So if this book were submitted to CGC would the label notes say "3rd appearance of Groot"?

(worship)(worship):headbang:

The 9.2 TTA 13 sells for nearly $15K on CC. All that moolah for a tree. :insane:

Yep, that's a pre-hero I'll probably never own.

And one of the few I still need. :cry:

The VG copy that also ended last night wasn't too pricey.

I didn't put it on my watch list, how much did it end at?

The 9.2 TTA 13 sells for nearly $15K on CC. All that moolah for a tree. :insane:

Around $1200. Now that I think about it, pricey!

Around $1200. Now that I think about it, pricey!

It is pricey for a vg!

I really thought this book would cool after the movie, but it seems it hasn't.

No reason for it to/. Rare for a movie book and the movie was a huge hit so people understand groot will be around a long time. Many of these movie and tv books are for pretty lame projects that will be forgotten soon but you really can't say that about guardians

No reason for it to/. Rare for a movie book and the movie was a huge hit so people understand groot will be around a long time. Many of these movie and tv books are for pretty lame projects that will be forgotten soon but you really can't say that about guardians

I agree. Groot is now part of the culture.

One theory that I have is that there are very few pre hero keys and there are just not as many pre hero books in general. Demand is always strong for pre-heros in all grades too.

I just looked at some old guides, 13 was previously noted as having swiped a story from Menace #8. Latest guide has a Groot notation instead.

Keys that come to mind

ST 89, 97

TTA 13

Are there any others?

No reason to?? Well, going to the movie release there were many reasons to believe TTA 13s new values were a flash in the pan. Because we have seen it keep happening with movie hype. But so far, Groot has been a surprise in keeping its values.

Much of it is of course due to its scarceness as a pre-hero book which aE generally scarce in HG. But even having said that, I can't explain what low grade copies are selling for!!

One theory that I have is that there are very few pre hero keys and there are just not as many pre hero books in general. Demand is always strong for pre-heros in all grades too.

I just looked at some old guides, 13 was previously noted as having swiped a story from Menace #8. Latest guide has a Groot notation instead.

Keys that come to mind

ST 89, 97

TTA 13

Are there any others?

Thee are very few Pre-hero character first appearances. Most are "prototypes" of stuff Stan and Jack reworked into the Marvel heroes. Groot now is one of a select few actual character First Appearances in all the pre hero titles. A list of the others would be cool to put together.

The movie was such a success that all 5 of the characters are now part of the main stream. I know some kids who there favorite heroes are Rocket and Groot (like wolverine and spiderman were when we were younger) and as they grow up they will want these things.. If the movie had been a average movie or a bomb we would have seen some of these values fall. Alot of us thought the prices for the first groot or rocket were silly but again with the movie being a huge hit these books have staying power. Also the first groot was always a scarce book so that adds to how much it cost.

TTA 13 is really the only one that has held onto to a fair share of its movie hype gains. MP 4/7, and hulk 271, MSH 18 are trading at about half their peaks. I would suspect TTA 13 does benefit from being an early pre-hero book, and thus is far scarcer than the other books. Though plenty of copies have come out of the wood work of even it, and the book is pretty handy now on any given day. Prices on it have actually stabilized and even gone down a bit in some mid grades as more copies become available. And hit movie aside, I don't believe any of the characters are or ever will be in spiderman or wolverine's league. Neither one of those characters needs a hit movie to sell back issues, and such statements are pure hyperbole. GOTG will always be c-listers, at best IMO, which is still a huge step up from the forgotten/irrelevant niche characters they were before the movie.

-J.

Keys that come to mind

ST 89, 97

TTA 13

Are there any others?

Thee are very few Pre-hero character first appearances. Most are "prototypes" of stuff Stan and Jack reworked into the Marvel heroes. Groot now is one of a select few actual character First Appearances in all the pre hero titles. A list of the others would be cool to put together.

I'd been thinking about a listing of "key" pre-heroes, but I quickly found myself including books that were only marginally significant (like JIM 50), or just important to me (ToS 2). I think it's a really small number, maybe just those three!

I have heard hushed whispers about Tales of Suspense #14 and Colossus, however.

Id say B listers, but whatever. Any GD first appearance that's the slightest bit recognizable now has excess demand so it's almost a moot point.

As for low grade prices they are a broad based trend as well. For some time now low grade copies of keys have gone up even in relative value to high grades. Your 9.8 hulk 181 or ask 129s are off their peaks while low grade copies have shot up. AF 15s in vf are flat while .5s have doubled. Simply put 1st appearance demand has come to trump everything condition included and this is a hobby wide trend not something specific to Tta 13.