• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales to Astonish 13/ PLANET X

239 posts in this topic

What did you pay may I ask? Congrats

Since this book is so difficult to find, it had completely fallen off of my radar. I had no clue of the "going price"; I saw the tears and nearly balked.

Let's just say it was < $100.

outstanding!

Since this book is so difficult to find, it had completely fallen off of my radar. I had no clue of the "going price"; I saw the tears and nearly balked.

outstanding!

Just dumb luck -- on my side for once.

It's blowing my mind that these are going for more (or similar) than the first Wolverine. Are they really that close in staying power/public awareness?

outstanding!

It's blowing my mind that these are going for more (or similar) than the first Wolverine. Are they really that close in staying power/public awareness?

Depends a lot on how Groot is portrayed in the film. If he becomes a fan-favorite, it's going to keep escalating. But, there's also a lot of people looking at the book now - I'd have to say that even beyond the movie hype, it's one of the cooler pre-hero monster covers, too. And, from what I have seen, higher grades are pretty slim.

outstanding!

Depends a lot on how Groot is portrayed in the film. If he becomes a fan-favorite, it's going to keep escalating. But, there's also a lot of people looking at the book now - I'd have to say that even beyond the movie hype, it's one of the cooler pre-hero monster covers, too. And, from what I have seen, higher grades are pretty slim.

I think even if the movie flops the book will be a lot more then other issues in the run. Fing Fang Foom never had movie hype and that commands a lot more the ST 88 and 90. Just the fact that Groot is part of a superhero team (which was overlooked for years) will keep people looking for the comic. Maybe not at the nosebleed prices we have seen....but I think it will always command more the TTA 12 and 14.

For sure. There's a permanent bump here at the least. Doesn't take much when the book is relatively scarce.

As for the cover though, not one of my faves. IMO a prime example that Kirby and ditko together were less than the sum of the parts. Still nice but not like the pure Kirby or pure ditko covers

outstanding!

I think even if the movie flops the book will be a lot more then other issues in the run. Fing Fang Foom never had movie hype and that commands a lot more the ST 88 and 90. Just the fact that Groot is part of a superhero team (which was overlooked for years) will keep people looking for the comic. Maybe not at the nosebleed prices we have seen....but I think it will always command more the TTA 12 and 14.

I agree - and for those of you who haven't read GotG volume 2, it's actually really awesome. I just finished the run (25 issues) and I was very impressed. Good stuff. I think it's a great new team and I can see it having some longevity.

I just threw out a Hail Mary lowball on this book on Ebay. Pretty hammered, but not major tears and the chunks missing are on the bottom - something I could live with. :wishluck:

For sure. There's a permanent bump here at the least. Doesn't take much when the book is relatively scarce.

As for the cover though, not one of my faves. IMO a prime example that Kirby and ditko together were less than the sum of the parts. Still nice but not like the pure Kirby or pure ditko covers

Well, I'm kinda partial to those gradient covers. ST 89 has a gorgeous color, and I really like the warm, bright colors on TTA 13. Maybe not the best looking monster, but for me, I really enjoy the colors and balance of it.

Groot did not have a consistent past as a character, so it’s pretty much a stretch to use it in the new Guardians series as they did: basically they could have invented a character anew.

Rocket Raccoon: a short-lived (publishing speaking) character, but from the few I have seen they have substantially altered it, to the point he’s pretty much unrecognizable, so it’s more or less the same thing.

Even if I liked the current Marvel comics (I don’t) I wouldn’t feel the desire to own a first apperance of those, just because they threw them into a pretty arbitrary team.

On the contrary, this prompted me to go back and get more acquainted with the original Guardians of the Galaxy, which I have always found fascinating (especially Vance Astro). :)

I completely understand the scarcity factor and the larger supply vs. demand argument, but in terms of popularity, appeal, general pop culture recognition...there's many better characters out there.

I am not caught up on the Guardians or what the movie holds; I know Groot has evolved from just a tree that says his name over and over, but he's still a part of a team that is generally unknown. Yes, this could all change with the movie (or franchise), but for me, right now, it's crazy.

Not an argument from me on any of the above comments, just stating how quickly this comic has escalated based purely on a movie no one has seen yet.

I know Groot has evolved from just a tree that says his name over and over, but he's still a part of a team that is generally unknown. Yes, this could all change with the movie (or franchise), but for me, right now, it's crazy.

There is an explanation in the new GotG to why all anyone hears is "I AM GROOT"... and it's a pretty good one. An explanation that lies somewhere between "why Klingons didn't have forehead ridges in TOS" and "Keyser Soze Is The Devil".

Sure, but it has a ton of promise right now. Gotg looks to be a big part of marvels plans. If the movie if even a bit of a hit, and it looks promising, it could end up being a pretty big set of characters.

Besides, the price for tta 13 is no nuttier than the price for hulk 271. That's a super common book and 200 for that is nuttier than the groot prices IMO. Tta 13 is the rarest marvel first appearance of the 1960s. Certainly rarer than hulk 1 or Tta 27 which are usually held up as the rarest marvels.

Well, I'm kinda partial to those gradient covers. ST 89 has a gorgeous color, and I really like the warm, bright colors on TTA 13. Maybe not the best looking monster, but for me, I really enjoy the colors and balance of it.

I really like some of the Kirby/Ditko covers. Strange Tales 80 is one the top pre-hero covers IMHO. I would agree that while there is a good chance TTA #13 will come down some from it's peak, depending on how the character/movie is received, it will be a break out book from here on out. I think the pre-hero books to pop in the future will be the more classic covers, particularly in higher grade, as collectors decide they just want prime examples of the era. I can see where a book like ToS #8 starts selling for a lot more than #7 or #9.

I am really glad I picked up my hammered copy of TTA 13 when I did. I felt that I overpaid a bit, but I am confident it will have evened out. How awesome does Groot look?

Let's bump this thread for the noobs in CG that just figured out TTA 13 is the first appearance of Groot.

TTA 13 IS THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF THAT TREE I JUST DISCOVERED WAS A COOL MARVEL CHARACTER!?!??!!

:ohnoez: