• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Jeff,

Were any of those books SSd by you?

No, I bought this raw to fill a hole and had it graded. I didn't know about the sig till I opened it up and then didn't see the restoration cause I was looking at the signature. Binder died almost 40 years ago so no SS potential. I had forgotten about the purple strip. My bad.

Is there even away to get signatures removed from a book without having it be qualified as restoration or damaging the book by making the removed sig area look faded, and such?

cosmic treadmill

Is there even away to get signatures removed from a book without having it be qualified as restoration or damaging the book by making the removed sig area look faded, and such?

cosmic treadmill

[font:Book Antiqua]I don’t think people under 40 understand that reference...[/font]

:gossip:

cosmic treadmill

[font:Book Antiqua]I don’t think people under 40 understand that reference matter...[/font]

fixed :)

cosmic treadmill

[font:Book Antiqua]I don’t think people under 40 understand that reference matter...[/font]

fixed :)

[font:Book Antiqua]Now we are talking...[/font]

:grin:

I'm not a fan of signed books, period. I've never understood the appeal. I consider it a defect just like any other writing on the cover.

I'd argue that you understand the appeal, but don't agree with it.

:popcorn:

I think 99% of the world does not understand the appeal of paying $4 for a comic, let alone hundreds or thousands for comic.

And then to argue about a signature or a pedigree? Being a nerd is cooler than it was, but damn guys

So nice, you got to post it twice. I love the Brandon Routh on Action 1 and Burt Ward on Tec 38 hypotheticals. Truly cringe-worthy, yet nonexistent. The real question is what if it were a crisp well placed Bill Finger sig?

Where are all you guys when Bedrock posts his Schomberg signed book? Does he get pilloried, or does his fanny get rubbed for its awesomeness? I forget.

Link? Is it a pedigree? Is it SS? I know the answer to the last question. It's the first that would be relevant to this discussion.

So nice, you got to post it twice. I love the Brandon Routh on Action 1 and Burt Ward on Tec 38 hypotheticals. Truly cringe-worthy, yet nonexistent. The real question is what if it were a crisp well placed Bill Finger sig?

Where are all you guys when Bedrock posts his Schomberg signed book? Does he get pilloried, or does his fanny get rubbed for its awesomeness? I forget.

Link? Is it a pedigree? Is it SS? I know the answer to the last question. It's the first that would be relevant to this discussion.

Oh really? It's relevant regardless. The Anti-Squiggle Crew should be scourging themselves through their hairshirts. It is a GA high grade book, and if it is not a ped, it is equivalent. Where is the outrage and the hate? Who will think of the comic books?

Where's the serious argument that's anti-high grade getting signed. Most relevant discussion has been on pedigrees. I see it right in the title. I don't like pedigrees being signed nor do I like to see the get restored or pressed.

So where was the relevant part of your admonition?

An intruiging question. Would all of you SS haters be willing to color touch a signed copy just to avoid a yellow label?

FYI, the book was signed by Otto O. Binder if you can't read the scan.

No. And I'm not against collecting autographs per se. I even think autographs can be kind of cool. I can certainly understand the appeal of a book autographed years ago by Otto Binder, or Charles Biro, or Joe Maneely, or any other long-dead artist. But their autographs would also be special if they were on a photo or a piece of stationary. In some cases, the autograph might be more special than the book that it's on.

What I don't understand is what could be going through someone's head when he decides to buy one of the nicest existing copies of a book - special in it's own right because it survived for many years almost exactly like it was when it left the bindery, even more special if it has a story behind it because it came from a known pedigree (recognized by CGC or not) - and decides to take all that specialness away by having it autographed (by someone whose autograph isn't even scarce) and making it so that it is no longer just like it was when it left the bindery, destroying that element of the book's specialness.

If someone wants an autograph, why not submit a more random, attractive book that will be special because of the autograph? In terms of GA, which is basically all somewhat rare, why not get an autographed photo (or reprint, or original sketch) and display it next to the book so the book doesn't have to be altered? It is possible to collect autographs without destroying something unique in the process.

There are 40 Javan Rhinoceroses left in the world. Getting a GA pedigree book autographed would be like killing one of those Javan Rhinoceroses to make a wallet.

(As a side note, I also think the Sig Series thing is a racket. An autograph is only an autograph if the CGC gets a cut? Please.)

What I don't understand is what could be going through someone's head when he decides to buy one of the nicest existing copies of a book - special in it's own right because it survived for many years almost exactly like it was when it left the bindery, even more special if it has a story behind it because it came from a known pedigree (recognized by CGC or not) - and decides to take all that specialness away by having it autographed (by someone whose autograph isn't even scarce) and making it so that it is no longer just like it was when it left the bindery, destroying that element of the book's specialness.

If someone wants an autograph, why not submit a more random, attractive book that will be special because of the autograph? In terms of GA, which is basically all somewhat rare, why not get an autographed photo (or reprint, or original sketch) and display it next to the book so the book doesn't have to be altered? It is possible to collect autographs without destroying something unique in the process.

There are 40 Javan Rhinoceroses left in the world. Getting a GA pedigree book autographed would be like killing one of those Javan Rhinoceroses to make a wallet.

(As a side note, I also think the Sig Series thing is a racket. An autograph is only an autograph if the CGC gets a cut? Please.)

1) What's going through their head is that they want one of, if not the nicest existing copy signed by one of the people who helped create the book.

2) Why should SS collectors be required to settle for a lower grade regardless of what era a books is from? Just like everyone else, we have the right to collect what we want the way we want. If you don't agree with what we do and how we do it that's fine but the bashing that occurs regularly is uncalled for. Even when it comes to GA books (which I don't collect) if someone does want a SS copy then that's what they want. Not a photo or a reprint. Suggesting that we should be willing to settle for a reprint is the same as saying that someone who's put together a complete run of Timely Captain America from #2 on up should be perfectly happy to have a reprint of #1 rather than the genuine article. It's just not the same.

3) To a SS collector having a book signed, pedigree or otherwise, isn't "destroying something unique" it's making it more unique. It's just that simple. If you don't agree with it being done that's your right but if a person is willing to put up the money to buy a book it's entirely up to them as to what to do with it whether they keep it as is, get is signed, wipe their butt with it or set it on fire. No one collectors rights supersede any others. Just because someone chooses to SS a book you don't agree with doesn't make it wrong.

4) The rhino analogy is ridiculous. We're not talking about living things here, we're talking about comic books. There's no loss of life of any kind and 100 years from now no one will care anyway.

5) It's not that an autograph is only an autograph if CGC gets a cut. It's that they offer a service for authentication that's far better than anything else out there. Even the most reputable signature authentication services out there will tell you that when they verify a signature it's not 100% guaranteed, it's authentic based on their opinion and observation. SS books are 100% guaranteed the real deal as far as the authenticity of the signatures goes. CGC provides a CAW (witness) to verify that certain procedures are followed to maintain the integrity of the SS program. They have to pay that person so there's a slight up-charge above the standard grading fees for SS submissions. It's not a "racket", it's part of the cost of SS collecting.

An intruiging question. Would all of you SS haters be willing to color touch a signed copy just to avoid a yellow label?

FYI, the book was signed by Otto O. Binder if you can't read the scan.

No. And I'm not against collecting autographs per se. I even think autographs can be kind of cool. I can certainly understand the appeal of a book autographed years ago by Otto Binder, or Charles Biro, or Joe Maneely, or any other long-dead artist. But their autographs would also be special if they were on a photo or a piece of stationary. In some cases, the autograph might be more special than the book that it's on.

lol It'd be like Hitler doing it!!