• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

:eyeroll:
Given a choice of 2 copies of a book in identical grade, is there a defensible reason to sign the pedigree copy?

What does that have to do with anything? Are you sure you want to direct any energy away from the reductio ad absurdum Pedigree worshipping, sig hating, back clappers club? You may not have enough energy to come up with any more knee snappers like the Roy SS bit.

Careful you don't lump me in. I don't hate SS books. Lord knows I have some and more on the way. But I've never had a pedigree signed and doubt I ever will.

But you raise an interesting point. It's funny that many of the SS-pedigree defenders would/do bristle at aspersions cast on SS books in general. Yet many of those same folks feel confident enough telling other collectors that pedigree are really nothing special. If you can't see the logical disconnect there, I'm sorry.

While I love some pedigrees and would hope that they are never signed, you don't hear my making arguments that NO books should get signed or that SS should carry absolutely no premium to blue labels.

Given a choice of 2 copies of a book in identical grade, is there a defensible reason to sign the pedigree copy?

What does that have to do with anything? Are you sure you want to direct any energy away from the reductio ad absurdum Pedigree worshipping, sig hating, back clappers club? You may not have enough energy to come up with any more knee snappers like the Roy SS bit.

Careful you don't lump me in. I don't hate SS books. Lord knows I have some and more on the way. But I've never had a pedigree signed and doubt I ever will.

But you raise an interesting point. It's funny that many of the SS-pedigree defenders would/do bristle at aspersions cast on SS books in general. Yet many of those same folks feel confident enough telling other collectors that pedigree are really nothing special. If you can't see the logical disconnect there, I'm sorry.

While I love some pedigrees and would hope that they are never signed, you don't hear my making arguments that NO books should get signed or that SS should carry absolutely no premium to blue labels.

There's a huge difference between having to hear that Pedigrees aren't worth the premium, and having to hear the "scribble, squiggle, deface" team mobilize. I feel the need to counter. It's really that simple.

There's a huge difference between having to hear that Pedigrees aren't worth the premium, and having to hear the "scribble, squiggle, deface" team mobilize. I feel the need to counter. It's really that simple.

I've seen both sides make dumb arguments in this thread. Not much difference. But for people saying NO books should be signed, well, that's about as dumb as people saying collecting "x" is terrible.

And I think SS books are fine, too.

I always think folks who say pedigrees aren't worth the premium usually don't really know that much about all the various pedigrees

Tranny does have a point. I can't even Count how many times I've seen posts saying how stupid pedigrees are and how stupid it is to pay a premium for them!

And at least a couple posts from me saying that the Pedigree label has been watered down (because: money) to the point that they don't really help you find books that are significantly better that many non-Pedigree copies.

The Pedigree label used to be a badge demonstrating almost universal quality, and now it's a marketing tool that's undercut that reliance.

It's silly to pay a premium simply because a book is a pedigree. It's not silly to pay a premium if the book is of exceptional quality and happened to have belonged to a pedigree.

Sometimes pedigrees are worth more because they make 70+ year old comics look like they just rolled off the printer.

Top-notch7.jpg

you have this but still cling to Spider-woman books? :baiting:

Are the pro-Pedigree chaps around here losing sleep over pressed pedigrees as well, or has that ship long sailed?

There are sincere passion-fueled reasons to get a pedigree signed. Getting a pedigree pressed is because money.

Are the pro-Pedigree chaps around here losing sleep over pressed pedigrees as well, or has that ship long sailed?

There are sincere passion-fueled reasons to get a pedigree signed. Getting a pedigree pressed is because money.

I hate both of them.

That's why I collect books no one else to seem to care about, no controversy.

Oh, we can manufacture some outrage, if you'd like.

I hear Jessica Drew was a hermaphrodite.

:devil:

-slym

You'll be begging for a long-box to your fourth!!!!!!!..... No.

No. Good day sir.

Yes. If you only own the pedigree copy and not the other one. (shrug)

especially if Stan Lee signed it, makes it unique

I love how you guys like to jump all over someone's case when you think they're taking something out of context to solidify their argument but it's alright for you to do the same thing. Your level of hypocrisy is truly astonishing. Or maybe you just think you're being witty. :news: You're not. No one suggested that having Stan Lee sign a book makes it unique. The whole point I was making with the books I posted pics of is that the signatures on those specific books makes them unique because they're foreign editions signed by creators who sadly are no longer with us. As far as those Top Notch books go... who is it exactly that's subbing those for SS? Oh that's right. No one.

[Will a Stan the Man sig overcome my ASM 30's smell and get me a Pedigree label ? hm
For example... this doesn't make the least bit of sense.

+1

Yes. If you only own the pedigree copy and not the other one. (shrug)

especially if Stan Lee signed it, makes it unique

I love how you guys like to jump all over someone's case when you think they're taking something out of context to solidify their argument but it's alright for you to do the same thing. Your level of hypocrisy is truly astonishing. Or maybe you just think you're being witty. :news: You're not. No one suggested that having Stan Lee sign a book makes it unique. The whole point I was making with the books I posted pics of is that the signatures on those specific books makes them unique because they're foreign editions signed by creators who sadly are no longer with us. As far as those Top Notch books go... who is it exactly that's subbing those for SS? Oh that's right. No one.

[Will a Stan the Man sig overcome my ASM 30's smell and get me a Pedigree label ? hm
For example... this doesn't make the least bit of sTense.

+1

It's an inside joke. I'm quite sure it made sense to paperheart :gossip:

And no, there's no difference whatsoever much less a huge difference (thumbs u

Sometimes pedigrees are worth more because they make 70+ year old comics look like they just rolled off the printer.
Just to quibble over phrasing, it isn't the pedigree that gives the book that quality. The quality of the books gives the pedigree its validity. The Church collection is the lasting example of that.

I hate both of them.

Ditto. I would never knowingly bid on a book that had been pressed, not necessarily because I consider the book ruined (although I do consider it damaged) but because I don't want to encourage the practice with my dollars.

Unfortunately the sociopathic grifters who get books pressed normally don't reveal it, just like they didn't reveal trimming and color touch back in the 80s.

I hate both of them.

Ditto. I would never knowingly bid on a book that had been pressed, not necessarily because I consider the book ruined (although I do consider it damaged) but because I don't want to encourage the practice with my dollars.

Unfortunately the sociopathic grifters who get books pressed normally don't reveal it, just like they didn't reveal trimming and color touch back in the 80s.

For me the strongest argument to avoid pressing or signing a pedigree is to maintain the book as it is.

To be less simplistic, the book, as is, represents the way it looked a part of historically note worthy collection.

If you sign it or press it, the book is from the collection but not the way it was or looked as part of the collection.

I have a handful of pedigreed books. It does have some additional value to me to know that this book was part of a special collection from long ago and that it exists today in the same way that it did forty or fifty years ago.

In other words, if I could go back in time and visit the child that collected that book in 1965, it would be the same book.