• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

(As a side note, I also think the Sig Series thing is a racket. An autograph is only an autograph if the CGC gets a cut? Please.)

5) It's not that an autograph is only an autograph if CGC gets a cut. It's that they offer a service for authentication that's far better than anything else out there. Even the most reputable signature authentication services out there will tell you that when they verify a signature it's not 100% guaranteed, it's authentic based on their opinion and observation. SS books are 100% guaranteed the real deal as far as the authenticity of the signatures goes. CGC provides a CAW (witness) to verify that certain procedures are followed to maintain the integrity of the SS program. They have to pay that person so there's a slight up-charge above the standard grading fees for SS submissions. It's not a "racket", it's part of the cost of SS collecting.

dang you jimbo, now you have me agreeing with one of LS's points!

Autograph collecting is all about provenance and authenticity.

The SS program (with the encapsulation) is as close as you are going to get to 100% authentic. People pay far more for after the fact "certification" of autographs and at best get an opinion (and sometimes a less informed one).

Just to give you an idea of what I'm all about here's some pics.

th_Avengers1Mexico.jpgth_Avengers4bMexico_zps7e8cd118.jpgth_Avengers4Mexico.jpgth_Avengers4Germany.jpgth_Avengers4UnitedKingdom.jpg

th_Batman222Mexico-1.jpgth_Batman227bMexico_zpsf24f1586.jpgth_Batman227France.jpgth_Batman232bMexico_zpsf266b0e9.jpgth_Batman243Italy.jpg

th_Batman245Mexico.jpgth_Batman251bMexico_zps8cb7ce0b.jpgth_Batman251Canada.jpgth_Batman251Germany.jpgth_ConantheBarbarian1Mexico_zps0f33a9c0.jpg

th_DetectiveComics395Mexico.jpgth_DetectiveComics404Belgium.jpgth_FantasticFour5UnitedKingdom.jpgth_GreenLantern76Germany.jpgth_GreenLantern85Dutch.jpg

th_GreenLantern87Mexico.jpgth_JourneyIntoMystery83Mexico_zpsf1721ca1.jpgth_YoungMen24Mexico_zps7e76e129.jpgth_NickFury1Mexico_zps08b187a2.jpgth_SgtFury1Mexico_zps46c4bc29.jpg

th_Spectre4Mexico.jpgth_StrangeAdventures205Mexico.jpgth_Superman233Mexico.jpgth_Superman317Mexico.jpgth_Superman123Germany_zps84651be1.jpg

Is there a profit to be made with these books? Maybe. I'm not really interested in finding out. Since I started collecting foreign books I've amassed a collection of over 700 of them and am well on the way to 800. I have copies of books that aren't listed in databases from their respective countries. I've talked to collectors from some of these countries who are astonished that not only have I been able to find copies of these books but that I've been able to find copies that are in exceptional condition given the fact that climate conditions and little or no access to storage supplies made keeping them in any kind of decent condition difficult at best.

Last year I came across a seller from whom I acquired a considerable number of books from what could be considered the Mexican equivalent of the Edgar Church collection. The scope and condition of the books are incredibly impressive in comparison to other books from Mexico and South America. Regardless of that I still plan on submitting many of them for SS. The general consensus of foreign collectors who are aware of CGC is that they're actually flattered in a way that someone would submit books like this for grading and even more so that there's someone not from their country of origin that's taking the time to track down copies, getting them signed and doing it.

Needless to say, my collection is unique. It would be, and I mean this literally, impossible to duplicate. If you have any doubt about that just ask any of the guys here on the boards that know foreign books.

An intruiging question. Would all of you SS haters be willing to color touch a signed copy just to avoid a yellow label?

The ideal thing (to get rid of the purple label) would be to steer the creator to sign or draw a spider or something, right over top of the color-touched area. :idea:

Needless to say, my collection is unique. It would be, and I mean this literally, impossible to duplicate. If you have any doubt about that just ask any of the guys here on the boards that know foreign books.

I like to imagine that in 50 years, there's a swell of interest in international versions of comics and your collection (which at that point has been passed down/sold etc) is held in high esteem as key samples/examples of these hard to find comics, and some message board is having an argument venting frustration at these key samples being marked with signatures after the fact, since they are so hard to find in any decent condition...

the lscomics ped is an easy one to spot because the books have all be signed by creators and slabbed by something called "CGC".

:)

Where's the serious argument that's anti-high grade getting signed. Most relevant discussion has been on pedigrees. I see it right in the title. I don't like pedigrees being signed nor do I like to see the get restored or pressed.

So where was the relevant part of your admonition?

That has not been the focus of the Anti-Squiggle Crew. It is pervasive throughout this thread. All autographs on comics are destructive, wasteful and immoral. And the silence is deafening, most likely because they have run out to get more high end lotion for Richard's heiny.

There are 40 Javan Rhinoceroses left in the world. Getting a GA pedigree book autographed would be like killing one of those Javan Rhinoceroses to make a wallet.

lol

Given there are 20,000 books in the Church Collection alone that might, just maybe, be an ever so slight exaggeration. Maybe. Possibly. Perchance.

That wallet is worthless without a Giamatti sig.

A Javan rhino foreskin wallet signed by Giamatti that becomes a carryon when vigorously rubbed would be perfect.

i'd love to see Richard's Schomburg SS, the only one i remember him getting rubbed over was the Ron Jeremy SS Rifleman #10

That wallet is worthless without a Giamatti sig.

A Javan rhino foreskin wallet signed by Giamatti that becomes a carryon when vigorously rubbed would be perfect.

i'd love to see Richard's Schomburg SS, the only one i remember him getting rubbed over was the Ron Jeremy SS Rifleman #10

The Schomberg is not SS, but it is amazing!! He has posted it several times.

I like to imagine that in 50 years, there's a swell of interest in international versions of comics and your collection (which at that point has been passed down/sold etc) is held in high esteem as key samples/examples of these hard to find comics, and some message board is having an argument venting frustration at these key samples being marked with signatures after the fact, since they are so hard to find in any decent condition...

the lscomics ped is an easy one to spot because the books have all be signed by creators and slabbed by something called "CGC".

:)

You don't have to wait that long to see the swell in interest in foreign books, it's been building for quite some time now. I just happen to be one of a few who are ahead of the curve on it.

A good number of the foreign collectors I have contact with are familiar with CGC but you'll also find that in other countries condition isn't nearly as big of a concern to them as here in the US.

So nice, you got to post it twice. I love the Brandon Routh on Action 1 and Burt Ward on Tec 38 hypotheticals. Truly cringe-worthy, yet nonexistent. The real question is what if it were a crisp well placed Bill Finger sig?

Where are all you guys when Bedrock posts his Schomberg signed book? Does he get pilloried, or does his fanny get rubbed for its awesomeness? I forget.

I'm getting increasingly discomforted by your gradual push into my milieu. Please re-read my title, consider the evidence and stop it.

K thx bai

One of those adjectives should have probably been "inexorable" but damned if I didn't think of it at the time

Where's the serious argument that's anti-high grade getting signed. Most relevant discussion has been on pedigrees. I see it right in the title. I don't like pedigrees being signed nor do I like to see the get restored or pressed.

That has not been the focus of the Anti-Squiggle Crew. It is pervasive throughout this thread. All autographs on comics are destructive, wasteful and immoral. And the silence is deafening, most likely because they have run out to get more high end lotion for Richard's heiny.

So, none. At least were clear.

So, none. At least were clear.

Baby Strunk and Baby White are crying now.