• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DO WE COLLECT SERIAL NUMBERS or GRADED COMIC BOOKS?

18 posts in this topic

About the bad habit of not uploading cover scans in the registry...

This simple thought has been buzzing in my head for a while:

Do we collect serial numbers or comics?

I would like to involve all the friends of the collector's society on this issue ...

I usually browse other collectors' registry sets but, most of the times, I just find lists of serial numbers without covers scans nor descriptions.

Isn't this sad?

For this reason, in the past two months I have decided to write descriptions of all my slabbed books (more than 800) and to add the scans of all the covers.

I can still improve my own sets: for example by writing presentations to all of them but, at least, if everybody uploaded the corresponding cover scan to its CGC serial, it would help to understand that we do not collect serial numbers but colorful valuable items!

I hope that thanks to this brief thought, other collectors will be convinced to enrich their own sets with descriptions and scans in order to make our registry more colorful and enjoyable!

HELLO!

P.S. And yes...the attached picture depicts my entire CGC collection :)

FEDERICO

ITALY

14028.jpg

See more journals by XXXPHOENIX

Totally agree. I like to see photos and descriptions and do my best to provide it (whenever i manage to get off my lazy butt). It is one of the joys of amassing and sharing a collection.

I liked what you've done and i am happy you made it a topic of conversation.

All the best and Happy Collecting!

SW3D

Totally agree Federico. When I browse other collections, I am more likely to view those that have 100% pictures and 100% descriptions like my own collection does. This doesn't take a lot of work/time as long as you add them as you go. It enhances the collection and as you mentioned it's a lot more fun than looking at just registry numbers. Strongly encourage others to do the same!

Agreed.

It's disappointing when a set doesn't include pictures. Plus, scans are pretty solid proof of ownership. I've heard that some people steal serial numbers in order to compete in the registry. I don't get that at all.

I actually enjoy scanning slabs and cataloging each book in my collection. The registry is an awesome tool that allows me to track and share my comics with like-minded individuals. I also see it as an educational/research tool. That's why I try to include as much information in my description as possible.

A few more more comments...

1. Unfortunately with a A4 scanner you cannot completely scan a CGC book

2. Some people get the serial number off ebay in my opinion...

3. I hate obscured sets... they should not be allowed to compete in the registry

Ciao!

Federico

I agree with you on adding photo's and descriptions. I do try to get to it with at least a discription but photo's usually fall because I buy most items off ebay and or when things are turned in I don't want to pay an extra $5 bucks just to have imaging. I mean seriously $5 per comic so you can lay it on a scanner... yeah i'll pass on that.

I enjoy going into others registered sets and seeing images as well. I'm trying to get some original art to match up also in here and place as the reverse side image but like what bagofleas and Tnerb do in there's by using placement photos or random pages within the comics themselves.

As for Serial numbers off ebay, many times I request the number be sent during the purchase process. It's one of those things that i'm rubbing my hands together saying points, points, points. But its also a lesson I learned when purchasing a comic that someone had put up only to get another with a broken case. He had told me the one I was getting was the specific one in the photo and that it must have been USPS that damaged it but there was nothing worng with the box. He simply thought that I would be ok with getting one that was damaged and wouldn't be intelligent enough to understand that if it were broken in route that there would be broken plastic in the box as well in the manner that it was damaged. He and I eventually settled on the price of resubmitting as the apporpriate price to reemburse and I have since never returned to that seller. Hence the reason I always look for the serial number first.

As for the obscured sets, I honestly hate those and a lot of times believe its simply people ebay hunting numbers down that do it. It makes no sense to give them an award for best set if no one else can see it as well.

Just my thoughts I guess.

K

1. CGC imaging service is horrible. You pay that expense for what? A low-res scan of the front? For that much money the scans should be high-res, front and back, and burned to disc.

2. The good news is that you can get a used or refurbed HP8250 scanner off eBay, download the driver for free, and download paint.net for free. Total cost? Under $100 in most cases. I think I spent $120 for a refurb shipped to my house...with a squaretrade extended warranty thrown in to cover me if the thing died. 8250s capture the entire slab.

I highly encourage everyone to maximize the Registry's potential...taking the time to go back and scan your collection also gives you time to appreciate your books once again. It's really a good way to spend time with your books.

I'm always bummed by registries with no pics or images downloaded from the company website.

I am 50/50 guilty of it. I just recently updated my new 52 Justice League to 100% pictures and descriptions. I was itching to make it #1 and in one week we will see if it worked. My only other competing sets have always been 100% pictures, but I seem to fall behind with descriptions. I will get right on that once I come back from SDCC.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I' e been trying to get up to 95% scans on all of mine. I was around 50% a few months ago but have gotten it up into the 70%+ range recently. I'm mostly satisfied if I get decent s ans uploaded to Photobucket where I have kept my account public.

I also agree with most everyone here. I love seeing the scans and descriptions on people's comics.

It gives you a better feel for the collectors interests and personality and enjoyment of the collecting and ownership process.

I personally sit at 99% images and 100% descriptions. I have always tried to keep up with both of them so you guys can see the proof of my progress and let's face it, some of these copies that we all own are the only graded copy or the single highest graded copy of a particular issue, and who doesn't love looking at OAKs?

I'll always upload scans of my books, I think I'm at 97% and the couple I haven't done are ASM Annuals that I never got around to scanning. I like to see scans as a bare minimum for registry sets. I don't begrudge people not writing elaborate descriptions, as I usually don't myself, but if there is some pertinent information about the book its nice to include it.