• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, bc said:

I'm gonna take the easy way out and just say I do not have the ability to list my top 10.

-bc

If this were extended to the full runs of the Big 4, rather than the monster books, that might actually be easier for me. I love covers like ST #40, but its the wrong era.

6 minutes ago, bc said:

I'm gonna take the easy way out and just say I do not have the ability to list my top 10.

-bc

+1!!! I might be able to do something like that given some time and full size copies to compare (photo journal pics are too small to see enough detail). I mean, aren't we talking about 167 books, many of which are monster covers?

Edited by Frisco Larson

Just now, Frisco Larson said:

+1!!! I might be able to do something like that given some time and full size copies to compare (photo journal pics are too small to see enough detail).I mean, aren't we talking about 167 books?

That's my issue - I'd have to lay them out on the floor and determine the top 10.

That sounds like real work and I'd have to lock up the cat.

Tank_comic.thumb.jpg.2b97d314599b402cbf8acdf6e4a8c053.jpg

-bc

39 minutes ago, Crazy Canuck said:

The monster runs have so many classic covers.  I'm curious to know if everyone has the ability to list their top 10.  I racked my brain over this...with that said, here is my top ten covers:

1. TOS 8

2. TTA 10

3. ST 73

4. TOS 11

5. TTA  7

6. TTA 11

7. JIM 66

8. TOS 10

9. ST 89

10. TTA 13

Honorable mentions for my potential next 5 ( AA 1, AAF 9, TTA 17, TOS 32 & JIM 71)

Great list, let me hm

1 hour ago, bc said:

That's my issue - I'd have to lay them out on the floor and determine the top 10.

That sounds like real work and I'd have to lock up the cat.

Tank_comic.thumb.jpg.2b97d314599b402cbf8acdf6e4a8c053.jpg

-bc

I just keep my cats out of my office, which of course makes it the most exciting room on Earth. They have sung many songs outside that door.

15 minutes ago, mysterio said:

In no particular order, and off the top of my head, books on my top list from this era are:

AAF #8, 9, 13

JIM #58, 63, 80

ST #72, 80, 90

TOS #8, 10, 26, 27, 32

TTA #1, 6, 8

So interesting...of my 15 books (which included honorable mentions) only 3 were the same. I figured large variations would be more likely than similar lists.

Here are my top 10 and HMs'. A tough task, probably would change if I did again in a week from now.

1 -   ST 89

2 -    TOS 15

3 -   JIM 62

4 -  ST 75

5 -  JIM 71

6 -  ST 80

7 -  TTA 10

8 -  TOS 10

9 -  TOS 11

10 - JIM 72

Honorable mentions: TTA 29,  TTA 13, ST 83, TOS 8 and TOS 2

Alright, had a chance to look thru the Vault and come up with some Monster favorites (in no particular order):

• AA/AAF: 6, 9, 13
  • JIM: 63, 72
  • ST: 79, 80, 89
  • Strange Worlds: 3
  • TOS: 8, 10, 26, 29
  • TTA: 10, 23, 29
  • World of Fantasy: 18 

If we are going to include the pure sci-fi/fantasy issues, I'd have to change this.

Notice there are a few common books in our lists, but otherwise pretty diverse (thumbsu

Thanks for the homework!

-bc

I looked briefly thru my files of the books I own and have had SOME luck narrowing it down. The best I could do is determine SOME that would be in my top ten of the books I own. See below. There are some great covers that I don't have copies of. 

Amazing Adventures 6 7.5 c-ow.jpg

Journey into Mystery 58 8.0 ow-w.jpg

Journey into Mystery 61 6.5 ow-w front.jpg

Strange Tales 70 7.0 c-ow front.jpg

Tales of Suspense 8 raw.jpg

Tales to Astonish 8 4.0 w front.jpg

Tales to Astonish 31 UK raw front better.jpg