• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

To me this is a very significant title amidst two others.

My starting date for collecting Silver Age Marvels is with the return of Kirby full-time to the "company with no name" and Strange Worlds #1 Dec. 1958; Tales to Astonish #1 Jan. 1959 and Tales of Suspense #1 Jan. 1959 --- all September 1958 releases.

Strange Worlds #1

"I Discovered the Secret of the Flying Saucers"

Lee, Kirby & Rule

"I Captured the Abominable Snowman"

Lee & Ditko

"I Am Robot"

Lee & Heck

Tales to Astonish #1

"We Found the Ninth Wonder of the World"

Lee, Kirby & Rule

"I Know the Secret of the Poltergeist!"

Lee & Ditko

Tales of Suspense #1, January 1959

"I Dared Explore the Unknown Emptiness"

Lee & Heck

"Prisoners of the Satellites"

Lee & Ditko

Kirby joins Ditko and Heck ---and the three, with Lee, begin to ramp up to the Marvel Age: science fiction becomes fantasy and fantasy in Nov. 1961 becomes the fantastic.

Nice history and rationale for collecting. I wasn't really familiar with the title until I ran across these. This is the only other one I have. Not in a good a shape and tanning on the BC is pretty harsh.

StrangeWorlds2.jpg

That TTA 29 cover is AWESOME! Don't see that one very often... (thumbs u

It is truly one of my favorite covers. Not only are the descending aliens seem endless and go on beyond the horizon, but Kirby gave a lot of detail to the masses in the crowd.

The fact that the top space beast is chopped off at the torso only adds to the infiniteness of the art...it is a classic exercise in composition! :headbang:

Next Round.... AMAZING ADVENTURES!

Another one of those great yellow covers:

aa_01.jpg

Ok, so he's pink. Big deal..MANOO is still scary!

aa_02.jpg

Great Kirby dino cover - not a monster, just a typical T-Rex, but ohboy!

aa_03.jpg

"I AM X" is one of the greatest fantasy stories ever done - right up there with your favorite Twilight Zone episode. Why dosent someone make a movie from this story?

aa_04.jpg

Monsteroso expresses his opinion about the coming New World Order..(I think Gorgo had a similar opinion)

aa_05.jpg

SSerpo must have been the biggest mosnter of them all...If you have ever seen the American Godzilla film, they rip-off the origin of the American Godzilla from this story! (He looks a lot like The Thing from FF1 - w/o pants!)

aa_06.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

Next Round.... AMAZING ADVENTURES!

Another one of those great yellow covers:

aa_01.jpg

Ok, so he's pink. Big deal..MANOO is still scary!

aa_02.jpg

Great Kirby dino cover - not a monster, just a typical T-Rex, but ohboy!

aa_03.jpg

"I AM X" is one of the greatest fantasy stories ever done - right up there with your favorite Twilight Zone episode. Why dosent someone make a movie from this story?

aa_04.jpg

Monsteroso expresses his opinion about the coming New World Order..(I think Gorgo had a similar opinion)

aa_05.jpg

SSerpo must have been the biggest mosnter of them all...If you have ever seen the American Godzilla film, they rip-off the origin of the American Godzilla from this story! (He looks a lot like The Thing from FF1 - w/o pants!)

aa_06.jpg

Atlasfan; that's the finest COMPLETE set of Amazing Advs. I've ever seen!!!!! (worship)

I love those books. I've had all of them but not in that high grade condition!!!

All I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!

Atlasfan; that's the finest COMPLETE set of Amazing Advs. I've ever seen!!!!! (worship)

I love those books. I've had all of them but not in that high grade condition!!!

All I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch Blind Owl. It took the better part of 15 years to put together my pre-hero collection..

As for Amazing Adventures...Its a shame that good ol' Doctor Droom never made it, at least once, to the cover.

Wow! Nice set! Where's that jaw-dropping emoticon when you need it? :cloud9:

jawdrop.gif

I think this situation calls for one with a slightly longer jaw drop. Nice set, AF!

How about a little Journey Into Mystery?

These early fantasy entries don't get much press, but they do have some great covers!

This issue has a nifty cover by Joe Sinnott.

jim_50.jpg

A rare Heath cover - the feature story is by Ditko.

jim_51.jpg

Wonderful Viking/Alien warriror cover by Kirby.

jim_52.jpg

Another great giant robot, with a Ditko time-travel story inside.

jim_53.jpg

And another Kong inspired cover. The cover story is by Ditko - about the capture, and consequences of capturing a Yeti.

jim_54.jpg

Those are tough books, AF! (worship)

Tell me about it! It took quite a while to get a nice set of JIM from 50-59 together.

I will say that the thing I like best about the early days of the pre-hero books are the Ditko covers. Dont get me wrong, I love a Kirby cover, but after 1959, Ditko covers are almost non existent (except for Amazing Adult Fantasy).

I also wish there were more Heck covers as well. That TOS #1 posted earlier is just so dynamic. I always wondered why Heck didnt re-create some of those when these storied were reprinted in Creatures On the Loose, etc. I believe he was still at Marvel in the early seventies.

Bill