• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Comixcroz has this up for sale in the Sales Thread...JIM 4!

Seriously, I do not believe I have ever seen this cover/book before...is it listed as scarce or rare? Very cool cover IMO! :headbang:

jim4.jpg

Jerry Weist is a prime source for 50's and early 60's books. He ran one of the oldest comic book stores around..."The Million Year Picnic", was auction consultant for Sotheby's comics ventures, and wrote the Original Art price guide....pals with Bill Gaines, etc., etc. ....his auctions are on eBay periodically, usually several hundred lots. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I bid on the JIM #55 also, think my high bid was about $635. Like Andrew, wasn't happy with all that tanning either, so no big loss. I helped drive up the price on the TTA #29 too. Have an 8.0 copy so wasn't super motivated there either. Totally agree on that TOS #32 7.5, a stael for whoever grabbed it. I won't even discuss the disparity in price between that book + the 8.5 copy I won off clink last year doh!:tonofbricks::sick:

On a more positive note, I won the TOS #2 7.5 off of Heritage. Sure it had a prominent oxidation shadow, but is such a tough book that I had to go for it. At this rate I finish my TOS run before my TTA.

I think I bid you up on the TOS #2. Don't remember if I was the underbidder but I gave it a good shot. Congrats on the win!

Thanks, but a 7.5, for you? :o :o :baiting:

It's the only one below 17 I don't have. I can't imagine how long I'd have to wait to find a 9.0.

I would have won it if it was a 9.0. :baiting:

It's the only one below 17 I don't have. I can't imagine how long I'd have to wait to find a 9.0.

I would have won it if it was a 9.0. :baiting:

lol Yes, I imagine you might have. We may never see a 9.0 of this book, unless you already have one + just forgot :wishluck:

Jerry Weist is a prime source for 50's and early 60's books. He ran one of the oldest comic book stores around..."The Million Year Picnic", was auction consultant for Sotheby's comics ventures, and wrote the Original Art price guide....pals with Bill Gaines, etc., etc. ....his auctions are on eBay periodically, usually several hundred lots. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ....GOD BLESS...

And a stand up guy to boot.

Seriously, I do not believe I have ever seen this cover/book before...is it listed as scarce or rare? Very cool cover IMO! :headbang:

jim4.jpg

I used to own the WM copy and it was killer -- it's probably the 9.4 listed on the census.

jim4.jpg

I used to own the WM copy and it was killer -- it's probably the 9.4 listed on the census.

:cry:

The 8.5 in the Jerry Weist auction just broke $ 600......anybody here win anything ? The Rawhide Kid 22 also broke 600.....and would've gone higher if I didn't have dial up :pullhair: The Two Gun Kid 58 went for a good price...less than 500. GOD BLESS...

I tried for the for TTA 29 but I lost out with 2 seconds left, I have wanted that specific issue for awhile. It looks like I will keep waiting. As for those Marvel Westerns, those were sold at bargain prices. I can't believe Rawhide Kid 22 (8.5) only went for $600. I was expecting that to hit the $900 dollar mark, guess nobody was watching these. :o

I was ready to hit 800 on it....but my dial up didn't refresh the page quick enough....at the right time and right venue I would think that 22 should be a 1200 dollar book. I didn't bid on the 29 as I knew you would....but it is one of my top ten pre hero covers and one I've never even read. A 7.0 to 7.5 is more my speed with these....8.5's and up are just out of my range. Metro just posted some new ones on their site, but no pics or prices yet...only the inquiry button. I've gotten 2 out of 3 books I've inquired about....but they don't have a TTA 29 in ANY grade.....but rest assured, I'M on the case now( can't find a Sherlock Holmes gremlin) and when I find one for you ,you'lll be notified. If you've already got it...I'll just keep it. GOD BLESS...

Ahh, TTA 29. My favorite alien invasion cover. Marvelous work by Kirby. Just looking at the details on the faces in the crowd! I think it should get one of those "Classic Cover" notation.

tta_29.jpg

The 8.5 in the Jerry Weist auction just broke $ 600......anybody here win anything ? The Rawhide Kid 22 also broke 600.....and would've gone higher if I didn't have dial up :pullhair: The Two Gun Kid 58 went for a good price...less than 500. GOD BLESS...

I tried for the for TTA 29 but I lost out with 2 seconds left, I have wanted that specific issue for awhile. It looks like I will keep waiting. As for those Marvel Westerns, those were sold at bargain prices. I can't believe Rawhide Kid 22 (8.5) only went for $600. I was expecting that to hit the $900 dollar mark, guess nobody was watching these. :o

I was ready to hit 800 on it....but my dial up didn't refresh the page quick enough....at the right time and right venue I would think that 22 should be a 1200 dollar book. I didn't bid on the 29 as I knew you would....but it is one of my top ten pre hero covers and one I've never even read. A 7.0 to 7.5 is more my speed with these....8.5's and up are just out of my range. Metro just posted some new ones on their site, but no pics or prices yet...only the inquiry button. I've gotten 2 out of 3 books I've inquired about....but they don't have a TTA 29 in ANY grade.....but rest assured, I'M on the case now( can't find a Sherlock Holmes gremlin) and when I find one for you ,you'lll be notified. If you've already got it...I'll just keep it. GOD BLESS...

Ahh, TTA 29. My favorite alien invasion cover. Marvelous work by Kirby. Just looking at the details on the faces in the crowd! I think it should get one of those "Classic Cover" notation.

tta_29.jpg

:headbang: It even has flying saucers. The aliens remind me of the para-demons from New Gods. One of Top "5" of the pre-hero TTA's, IMO.

Edited by crimson dynamo

I am very proud to own these two books, thanks to Todd Lange.

It may take a very, very long time, if ever, before I can upgrade these

JIM73.jpg

StrangeTales89.jpg

Beautiful books, Patrick....the 89 looks particularly glossy. GOD BLESS...

I am very proud to own these two books, ST 89 and JIM 73 thanks to Todd Lange.

JIM73.jpg

StrangeTales89.jpg

Those are really nice books -- a wonderful addition to any pre-hero collection! A wonderful companion book to the JIM 73 is JIM 64 - RORGG, KING OF THE SPIDER MONSTERS.

I am very proud to own these two books, ST 89 and JIM 73 thanks to Todd Lange.

JIM73.jpg

StrangeTales89.jpg

Superior quality books. I don't know that an upgrade is possible (unless you steal Adam Strange's or AtlasFan's books).