• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Incredible haul! (worship)

Thanks

My eye starts to twitch when I think of the CLink invoice I have to pay now considering some of the other non pre-hero books that are on it as well.

But i know i will forget all about bills and such when these truly beautiful pieces of art show up at my door... it's scary how much I am falling in love with the whole pre-hero era :cloud9: I wonder how many others feel that same pre-hero allure hm

... or maybe I just love big monsters on covers :sumo:

:cloud9:

Hayden you have great taste. I love the 29 and you even got a hold of the TTA 23. :headbang: Moomba is barely slabbed in the census. Congratulations on a sweet pull.

Edited by crimson dynamo

That was my WM JIM #20.... it's a killer copy - nice haul of books indeed HTO...

Thanks and thanks again CD...

And congratulations to everyone else who managed to pull out wins on these sweet pre-hero books! Cherish them :applause:

Incredible haul! (worship)

Ditto! :applause:

All of them are very attractive looking copies that have the appear to have the appeal of an even higher grade.

I thought this copy went very reasonable -- it's one of my favorite covers.

JIM63ClinkMaywin-1.jpg

This is a SA thread. :rulez:

It would be great if you could post it here linky . :foryou:

JIM20ClinkMaywin-1.jpg

I get that that is an older book, but if I had won that I would have posted it here too. Being from one of the big Atlas/Marvel pre-hero titles, and one of the longest running, it can be hard to know where the cutoff is (I sure don't). I like to see those types of books here, and looking back through this thread's history you see plenty of them. They fall through the crack between GA and SA for me. (I guess they are technically Atom Age?) Atlas books from this era have always felt like early SA to me, even though I know that technically they aren't.

Now if it had been Mystic or Astonishing or one of those titles that never led to a hero book that is an easy call. But to me, wrong or right, JIM is a Marvel pre-hero book because it eventually gave rise to a hero. This may be a creative interpretation of the thread title and rules, but that is just how I have always seen it. I realize that many will probably disagree with me on this, and I am happy to be educated on the nuances of the ages and designations. :foryou:

I get that that is an older book, but if I had won that I would have posted it here too. Being from one of the big Atlas/Marvel pre-hero titles, and one of the longest running, it can be hard to know where the cutoff is (I sure don't). I like to see those types of books here, and looking back through this thread's history you see plenty of them. They fall through the crack between GA and SA for me. (I guess they are technically Atom Age?) Atlas books from this era have always felt like early SA to me, even though I know that technically they aren't.

Now if it had been Mystic or Astonishing or one of those titles that never led to a hero book that is an easy call. But to me, wrong or right, JIM is a Marvel pre-hero book because it eventually gave rise to a hero. This may be a creative interpretation of the thread title and rules, but that is just how I have always seen it. I realize that many will probably disagree with me on this, and I am happy to be educated on the nuances of the ages and designations. :foryou:

I don't see any problem posting ANY Strange Tales (prior to #101), Journey Into Mystery (prior to #83), Tales of Suspense (prior to #39), Tales To Astonish (prior to #35), or Amazing Advs./Amazing Adult Fantasy here in this thread. Since they are ALL pre-hero Marvel, in my opinion they meet the guidelines of the thread.

As a side-note...I consider pre-code Marvels GA...and after the code as SA. But this is not actually correct....I suppose anything after the date Sept. 1956 would be SA...and anything before as GA. Personally...I like the pre-code/code idea better....love bucking the system...haa (shrug)

You raked in a great batch of books,Hayden.

I thought the bidding and final prices were brutal for these books. I only bid on needed upgrades of my raw copies. All my bids on the JIM, I needed, were blown away,especially the JIM 71. I realized if I seriously wanted to win anything, I could not be conservative. I just had to have the ST 80. One of my favorite PH covers. Also, got the ST 81,84 TOS 25 and TTA 9,14,18. As I said, brutal prices. But, can't wait to receive them!!! :cloud9:

I don't see any problem posting ANY Strange Tales (prior to #101), Journey Into Mystery (prior to #83), Tales of Suspense (prior to #39), Tales To Astonish (prior to #35), or Amazing Advs./Amazing Adult Fantasy here in this thread. Since they are ALL pre-hero Marvel, in my opinion they meet the guidelines of the thread.

As a side-note...I consider pre-code Marvels GA...and after the code as SA. But this is not actually correct....I suppose anything after the date Sept. 1956 would be SA...and anything before as GA. Personally...I like the pre-code/code idea better....love bucking the system...haa (shrug)

My original post was meant tongue-in-cheek. :sorry:

I have no problem with posting the book here and just wanted to encourage posting in the pre-code thread.

My motto is post early and often. :foryou:

I define a "pre-hero" as any book from the late 50s-early 60s that contains fantasy stories by Kirby, Ditko, and/or Heck. Titles that dont lead directly to a hero -Strange Worlds & World of Fantasy - are considered "pre-hero" based on their content. Titles like Jounrey Into Unknown Worlds or Strange Tales of the Unusual are not pre-hero, because they dont have any Kirby/Ditko/Heck stories.

Now, I would also lump the "early-hero" books into the pre-hero classification as they do contain fantasy stories by K-D-H. For example, even though the Torch takes over Strange Tales, those books still contain some great (and overlooked) fantasy backup stories that would fit right into the early pre-hero era.

I have no problem with posting the book here and just wanted to encourage posting in the pre-code thread.

No worries, sometimes it is hard to tell in posts as humor or sarcasm or whatever intended flavor is lost. Whenever I see the :rulez: I always feel like someone has been slapped...

You raked in a great batch of books,Hayden.

I thought the bidding and final prices were brutal for these books. I only bid on needed upgrades of my raw copies. All my bids on the JIM, I needed, were blown away,especially the JIM 71. I realized if I seriously wanted to win anything, I could not be conservative. I just had to have the ST 80. One of my favorite PH covers. Also, got the ST 81,84 TOS 25 and TTA 9,14,18. As I said, brutal prices. But, can't wait to receive them!!! :cloud9:

Thanks Starr, I agree on the brutal prices... I am still walking funny lol

I got shut out of all 7 Strange Tales that I bid on... Now I know who some of them went to - congratz (thumbs u

I love the ST 80 and 81 covers as well as the TTA 9. I will be thinking of you as you open your package from CLink (worship)

No worries, sometimes it is hard to tell in posts as humor or sarcasm or whatever intended flavor is lost. Whenever I see the :rulez: I always feel like someone has been slapped...

Yah no problem at all... I did not take offense to the remark. I'm a noob on these forums so I may make those types of errors anyway. No harm done and I know none was intended (thumbs u

BTW i did pop over to the pre-code thread to share the <3

I define a "pre-hero" as any book from the late 50s-early 60s that contains fantasy stories by Kirby, Ditko, and/or Heck. Titles that dont lead directly to a hero -Strange Worlds & World of Fantasy - are considered "pre-hero" based on their content. Titles like Jounrey Into Unknown Worlds or Strange Tales of the Unusual are not pre-hero, because they dont have any Kirby/Ditko/Heck stories.

Now, I would also lump the "early-hero" books into the pre-hero classification as they do contain fantasy stories by K-D-H. For example, even though the Torch takes over Strange Tales, those books still contain some great (and overlooked) fantasy backup stories that would fit right into the early pre-hero era.

This is how I've categorized pre-hero as well -- including the Strange Worlds and World of Fantasy as they are indistinguishable in content from TOS, TTA etc.

Yah no problem at all... I did not take offense to the remark. I'm a noob on these forums so I may make those types of errors anyway. No harm done and I know none was intended (thumbs u

BTW i did pop over to the pre-code thread to share the <3

Thanks!

I'm a big fan and collector of pre-code horror from Atlas, post-code Atlas suspense books and Marvel pre-hero books. They are all good! Here's a sampling of White Mountain books from each era which I am posting only to illustrate the rules since I would never intentionally violate the posting guidelines for the thread. :kidaround:

MarvelousWMs.jpg

Thanks guys.

Roswell, I sure wish you would open your ST registry for viewing. I bet you have some beauties put away there. The issues from 70-92 seem very hard to get in grade.

There was a great high grade raw prehero and precode collection on Comicconnect back in Nov. or Dec. 2009. This was the best bunch since then by far.