• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

ST97fine.jpg

jimbo my friend, you are slowly killing me one... post... at... a... time!

....I saw it on www.wwcomics.com a few minutes ago and it had been there for over a day....it was priced at double guide for a mid grade, but still ? If I can ever get my friend Richard's RJ Long copy ......but that would have to mean something bad for him, so I don't hope for that....or his Pacific Coast FF 13. World Wide is one of those sites that really should be checked daily.....if I was wealthy they've got some runs of 50's Superman and Batman with great PQ for reasonable. As mentioned earlier, they know how to rate some PQ. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

....I saw it on www.wwcomics.com a few minutes ago and it had been there for over a day....it was priced at double guide for a mid grade, but still ? If I can ever get my friend Richard's RJ Long copy ......but that would have to mean something bad for him, so I don't hope for that....or his Pacific Coast FF 13. World Wide is one of those sites that really should be checked daily.....if I was wealthy they've got some runs of 50's Superman and Batman with great PQ for reasonable. As mentioned earlier, they know how to rate some PQ. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I checked the listing on their site, and you got the book for a good price. That is about what I paid for my CGC 6.0 W copy two years ago (and I was happy to get it for the price), so if you were to get it graded and it came back in that ballpark you're golden.

ST97fine.jpg

Nice pick up Bro. I still need this one...I have to get it into my head that double guide is a normal price for this book. Yours looks pretty nice from the scan. :applause:

ST97fine.jpg

That's a nice one Jimbo!!! I also need this issue as well, It's just hard to find the right copy for this one (I'm glad you sure did). (thumbs u

I think it's the best cover of the entire ST run. Congrats!!! :applause:

ST97fine.jpg

That's a nice one Jimbo!!! I also need this issue as well, It's just hard to find the right copy for this one (I'm glad you sure did). (thumbs u

I think it's the best cover of the entire ST run. Congrats!!! :applause:

Sell me that copy jimbo! :baiting::sumo:

I do like the story in ST 97 a lot, but I dunno I am just not a big fan of the cover? I guess I find that when ditko inks kirby they get in each others way. To me ST 97 SHOULD be a great cover but there's a bit of clumsiness in it from that combination, and I also tend the think the colorist really dropped the ball on that cover.

Even on that copy though, let me explain what I mean.

The colorist got three colors out:

- a grey for the city

- a pink (WTF?) for the ground

- a light grey for the sky

and just washed the large fields of those colors without any nuance at all.

Heck, on the field of pink the colorist didn't even stop to paint the fire hydrant and lamppost a different color or even a different shade of pink.

Have you ever been outside when a major dust storm moved through? It is surreal. Maybe that was the inspiration for this cover - your color palette gets all out of whack when the sky is filled with brown/red dust. Here, the brown/red light source is from the moon... I'm not sure that the colors are technically correct if you have a different color light source, but that's the feel I get.

Even on that copy though, let me explain what I mean.

The colorist got three colors out:

- a grey for the city

- a pink (WTF?) for the ground

- a light grey for the sky

and just washed the large fields of those colors without any nuance at all.

Heck, on the field of pink the colorist didn't even stop to paint the fire hydrant and lamppost a different color or even a different shade of pink.

I know what you mean on the color design as it was done better on other Marvels, though, overall, I much prefer the DCs for color.

It looks a little better on the WM lol You jerk!!! :insane: congrats on a sweet book.

I posted it half-joking/half-seriously. As comics age the underlying cover stock turns a mustard yellow and wrecks havoc with the original color design. I have occasionally seen high grade copies or cover proofs that changed my perception of the color design because I was seeing it unaffected by that discoloration.

Have you ever been outside when a major dust storm moved through? It is surreal. Maybe that was the inspiration for this cover - your color palette gets all out of whack when the sky is filled with brown/red dust. Here, the brown/red light source is from the moon... I'm not sure that the colors are technically correct if you have a different color light source, but that's the feel I get.

I live in Vancouver dude... Ain't no dust here lol. Got rain though!!

I had figured that's what they were going for with the pink ground being light from the orange moon.... But to me that didn't explain the hydrant and lamppost and especially the bright yellow shirt! If the light is making everything pink why is the hydrant pink but the shirt yellow?