• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,036 posts in this topic

I bought this copy raw from Ebay in 2003 for $325.00. Bought it for the great Ditko cover and enjoyment, though, it maybe one of the best investments I ever made.

photo TALESSUSPENSE2_zpsf87d5238.jpg

Wow, killer score!! What did the ebay seller have it raw graded at 9.8, lol?

One of my favorites as well! Vera nize! :headbang:

:gossip: Comin' up on Page 500!

If I ever get a scanner, I'm wearin' this thread out! Taking my group shots, I noticed I have a few of these that are pretty nice.

Edited by KirbyJack

I noticed that Harley Yee had some nice raw JIM pre-hero issues (in the 50-70 range) at Big Wow in San Jose. Looked like 6.0-8.0 potential.

And how were they priced?

I picked up a couple of sweet books from Boyd at Black Cat Comics at the Dallas show, ST #34 and TOS #31. Also got a really neat UK reprint of ST #97 I hadn't seen before. Will post them when I get them scanned.

And here they are! I already have a copy of the #31, but I couldn't leave that book there for the price. The ST #34 is really tough, and I was very happy to be able to work a deal for it.

TOS31.jpg

ST34.jpg

I hadn't seen this before, but it was too cool to leave there. As best I can tell it is a UK reprint series of the Atlas/Marvel pre-hero stuff, with little rhyme or reason on which stories are included (they're all over the map in terms of age and original title it appeared in). Boyd had several, but I only had this one in my budget.

SinisterTales20.jpg

Also appropriate for this thread, I got these from one of the half price trade dealers. I always snap these up when I can get them cheap. :headbang:

Masterworks.jpg

Will do on the #34!

As for the #31, I'm thinking about a 6.5/7.0 depending on where CGC is on the day they grade it, though I have a 7.5 book that has similar wear so who knows. It has a couple of very light short creases in the upper right corner of the FC and some other very light wear. It is a pretty copy with a ton of eye appeal for the technical grade.

500 pages!

Edited by mysterio

500 pages about a little subset of less than 150 comics or so! :headbang:

That's pretty awesome and says a lot about what great little books they are :sumo:

(well I guess that depends on what you define as pre-hero but I think of it as TOS 1up, TTA 1up, JIM 50up, ST67up, AA1up, SW 1up which without doing the math I'm pretty sure is less than 150 books!)

I think of it as TOS 1up, TTA 1up, JIM 50up, ST67up, AA1up, SW 1up which without doing the math I'm pretty sure is less than 150 books!)

Throw in the Kirby/Ditko issues of World of Fantasy and that's exactly how I define them, too.

I like and aspire to collect ST & JIM #1-up, but I know that technically the earlier issues are late GA or Atom age (however they are defined). I'm sure it has been discussed, but please enlighten me as to the rationale for the cutoffs you guys mention. Is it post-Atlas implosion?

Well, for me, the pre-hero era is all about the Kirby and Ditko stories. I consider those to be the real roots of Marvel.

I don't have my referrence in front of me, but I think JIM #49 may be post-implosion (PI), but as it lacks the A-listers I don't throw it in. Strange Tales #67 is the first post-implosion book (I believe).

For the same reason, there are a few PI issues of World of Fantasy for which I feel nothing.

Edited by KirbyJack

I think of it as TOS 1up, TTA 1up, JIM 50up, ST67up, AA1up, SW 1up which without doing the math I'm pretty sure is less than 150 books!)

Throw in the Kirby/Ditko issues of World of Fantasy and that's exactly how I define them, too.

ahh yes, touche! :)

I like and aspire to collect ST & JIM #1-up, but I know that technically the earlier issues are late GA or Atom age (however they are defined). I'm sure it has been discussed, but please enlighten me as to the rationale for the cutoffs you guys mention. Is it post-Atlas implosion?

IMO, both the feel of the books and the Atlas roster of titles, and the Atlas staff (kirby/ditko as mentioned) changed significantly in Jan 1959. All of the "first pre hero" (as I define it) books mentioned above are Jan 59 dated, plus or minus a week or two.

Books prior to that I think of as "post-code" rather than "pre hero". It more or less boils down to the maneely/everett vs kirby/ditko eras, though there is more to it than that IMO.

Sad story though it is, I think Joe Maneely getting hit by a bus in mid 58 must have been a terrific shake up to the Atlas office and the Atlas product. I have to guess that was one of the unintended reasons for the change in direction. As a company they lost their most profilic employee in mid 58 and then three or four months later in fall 58 they are putting out these Jan 59 dated books...

Well, for me, the pre-hero era is all about the Kirby and Ditko stories. I consider those to be the real roots of Marvel.

I don't have my referrence in front of me, but I think JIM #49 may be post-implosion (PI), but as it lacks the A-listers I don't throw it in. Strange Tales #67 is the first post-implosion book (I believe).

For the same reason, there are a few PI issues of World of Fantasy for which I feel nothing.

I think the implosion cover date month was October 1957. Only three comics were published that month...Cartoon Kids 1, Dippy Duck 1 and Patsy Walker 73. They went to 24 comics published on Sept 1957 to 8 comics published on Nov of 1957. Are you guys aware that JIM was not published in over a year in that time. Was it canceled and started back up? JIM 48 was published on Aug 1957. The next issue 49 was published on Nov 1958....over a year later. The first issue of Strange Tales after implosion was Strange Tales 60 was published on Dec 1957. First issue of Worlds of Fantasy was WOF 9 published also on Dec 1957. :popcorn:

So if your saying pre hero's are from implosion till the hero's took over the list looks like this...

I think.

AA, AAF 1-14

JIM 49-82

ST 60-99

SW 1-5

TOS 1-38

TTA 1-34

WOF 9-19

166 comics

:popcorn:

Edited by *Bronze age fan*

Looking at it again, Bronty is dead on. It really can be boiled down to Jan. 1959.

The only real exception is Strange Worlds #1, but as our historian rodan57 has taught me, it was released at the same time as TOS1 and TTA1.

Will do on the #34!

As for the #31, I'm thinking about a 6.5/7.0 depending on where CGC is on the day they grade it, though I have a 7.5 book that has similar wear so who knows. It has a couple of very light short creases in the upper right corner of the FC and some other very light wear. It is a pretty copy with a ton of eye appeal for the technical grade.

500 pages!

Nice pickups. Seems like the TOS 31 often suffers from chipping. I had a very sweet copy but it was chipped up the wazoo.