• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

Quick look at the back cover of the ST 68 shows basically no flaws at all.

Evidently, the book has no stains as CGC will hammer even a virtually invisible one.

There is "Marvel Chipping" all along the top and right edge, some bottom too.

[Marvel books were supposedly cut with dull blades at the end of the day.]

But CGC is very lax on this type of defect, evidently as a production flaw.

There is spine wear with 4 large color breaking creases and some smaller ones.

These should have knocked it down to a 7.5 by themselves.

If this is your undercopy, I'd like to see your overcopy. lol

Edited by TempusFugitivus

Quick look at the back cover of the ST 68 shows basically no flaws at all.

Evidently, the book has no stains as CGC will hammer even a virtually invisible one.

There is "Marvel Chipping" all along the top and right edge, some bottom too.

[Marvel books were supposedly cut with dull blades at the end of the day.]

But CGC is very lax on this type of defect, evidently as a production flaw.

There is spine wear with 4 large color breaking creases and some smaller ones.

These should have knocked it down to a 7.5 by themselves.

If this is your undercopy, I'd like to see your overcopy. lol

A John sighting ! ....what's up, amigo ? HAPPY EASTER......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hi James,

I'm always lurking in the Pre-Hero Marvel section. :grin:

I've never understood why the Marvel Chipping gets such a pass.

If I get time, I'll post two Pre-Heroes with extensive chipping.....

but decent grades anyway.

John

PS: Happy Easter to you too.

Edited by TempusFugitivus

I'm with you about chipping.....it significantly affects my max bid. I can live with pre Marvel tears, however. Some of these monster books are just so tough we have to make allowances. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. The aforementioned ST 68 is one of the tough ones. It was many years before I had even seen one.

But, the inconsistency of CGC is baffling. This ST 68 was my undercopy. I think my other copy is about 1/2 grade better. A 9.0?, I wish.

Along the undercopy topic, for 20 years I had a nice copy of a JLA in the teens, thinking it was 8.0 at best. I pick up a nice slabbed copy in 7.5 that presented like a 9.0 so I decided to sell my raw. Trust me, in hand the 7.5 looked better. Anyway, the raw 'undercopy' came back as a 9.2. As a side note the happy buyer threw some more money my way. Nice gesture, you rarely see in today's marketplace.

I looked at the back cover and it looks fine. But the issue is the front cover. A true 8.5 should not have that level of readily apparent defects in a scan, and one of our own (who I bought a book from and experienced his fine grading first hand) who had the book in hand puts it at a 6.5 to 7.0. From the scans I tend toward the 7.0.

Speaking for myself, there are books that get gift grades in the realm of possibility (like a 6.0 getting a 6.5) and then there are the WTF grades like this one that are like 4 full levels off. I got one of those myself in my last sub of pre-hero. I bought a book hoping for a 5.0-5.5 and it came back a head scratching 7.0. Some would have been thrilled, and if I thought the book warranted it I would be too. But since the book is woefully overgraded IMO it is a little embarrassing. So I don't think he is showing seller remorse as much as shock that such an overgrade would happen.

Thanks, Mysterio. You summed it up perfectly. No beef here with Sparkle, let them double their money on these two books, god bless them. But, the inconsistency of CGC is baffling. This ST 68 was my undercopy. I think my other copy is about 1/2 grade better. A 9.0?, I wish.

When this happens it is like the "eBay NM" syndrome. We all know what "eBay NM" looks like, and buyer beware. Here, though, you get the blue label assurance. But if any of us tried to pass that book off as VF+ in a raw sale we'd get returns 90 times out of 100. That to me is the standard. The vast majority of the CGC books I get I agree with their assessment within 0.5 either way, but for whatever reason these head scratchers show up just frequently enough to keep us on our toes.

I've got a scan of Jaster-mereel's 8.0 copy, and when my Internet gets restored I will post it (been limited to my iPhone for a few days).

Seeing that Strange Tales 68 reminded me of my first two submissions

ST68CGC.jpg

And, until recently, the only graded copy (a 6.0 just sold on heritage or comiclink)

ST60CGC.jpg

Both books I've had for a while, but wanted to get them graded. Planning on doing more when I get the time and money.....

My 8.0.