• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sexual Harassment at Comic-Con?

367 posts in this topic

The best policy is that no matter who you are taking a picture of, ask permission. It does not take much to call out, "Hey Jay and Silent Bob do you mind if I get a picture?" or "Poison Ivy mind if I take a pic." Usually they will honor the request. No matter what though, thank them for the time.

The only exception is that rare occasion where you see some girl on stilts dressed as a 9 foot tall Ripley in a Mech Suit and EVERYONE is taking the girls pics as she is posing. Then, snap away as the crowd snaps away.

Remember though.

• It does not take much to be polite.
  • Always remember that many people in costume are attendees and are there to have a good time too and not just pose for pics.
  • The people running the booths have a job to do. Many are there for the gig and are paid to smile and be friendly in order to convey the product they are pushing. It does not mean that the girl modeling as Black Widow for Marvel wants to take you round back and play with your hammer of the gods.

The best policy is that no matter who you are taking a picture of, ask permission. It does not take much to call out, "Hey Jay and Silent Bob do you mind if I get a picture?" or "Poison Ivy mind if I take a pic." Usually they will honor the request. No matter what though, thank them for the time.

The only exception is that rare occasion where you see some girl on stilts dressed as a 9 foot tall Ripley in a Mech Suit and EVERYONE is taking the girls pics as she is posing. Then, snap away as the crowd snaps away.

Remember though.

• It does not take much to be polite.
  • Always remember that many people in costume are attendees and are there to have a good time too and not just pose for pics.
  • The people running the booths have a job to do. Many are there for the gig and are paid to smile and be friendly in order to convey the product they are pushing. It does not mean that the girl modeling as Black Widow for Marvel wants to take you round back and play with your hammer of the gods.

All great advice! (thumbs u

Not condoning any of this behavior but it is no different than what occurs at hundreds of frat parties, night clubs, college bars, Mardi Gras, and hundred of other events where there are lots of people in a "party" type atmosphere.

I think the press like to point out the Comic-con occurrence 'cause it lends itself to the "geeky guys dont know how to act around women" stereotypical story-line.

I think there are TONS of men who don't know how to behave around women, and it occurs in all kinds of environments. I don't think those men are limited to the stereotyped lonely-lives in his mom's basement-plays with action figures-sheldon types.

Bars have bouncers for this reason. Mardi Gras has more police on the ground than any other street event I've ever seen. And San Diego should be no different.

As with any other convention or event San Diego (or any other Con) needs to have a well defined harassment policy (which I think they do), post it everywhere, and staff appropriately to enforce and support it (which I dont know if they do).

Women that go to bars/clubs aren't going there to be leered at and hit on, same is true for San Diego.

Buzzetta's advice is sound. Ask permission for photos, be appreciative and respectful.

Sadly enough Miraclemet is absolutely right. I was in a fraternity in college. We would always assign one pledge and one brother to be on "patrol" to go around and make sure nothing of this sort was going on during our parties. It's not just "geeky comic nerds" plenty of "bros" act like this as well. We had to deal with this situation a few times unfortunately and on one occasion had to involve the police. I think it goes to the (horrible) "defense" of "well she was dressed like that, she was asking for it" disgustingness that people tend to say about women (it's a total double standard). "Hey she was dressed all sexy and you could see her chest and behind, of course she wants me to grab her, why else would she dress that way, she wants the attention" No dumb person, she is dressed that way because she wants to cosplay and live out her dream of being catwoman. She's doing it for HER not YOU. Sorry this kind of stuff bothers me a lot since it takes away from people being able to have a fun time (NYCC is my absolute favorite time of the year)

Huh, didn't know this was a thing at cons. (stupid me.) doh!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/15/zero-tolerance-at-san-diego-comic-con/

Wow some of the experiences these girls had is something else. :eek:

#3 sounds like an editor.

Too many mommy's basement dwellers out there..........
It's more than that. There's two instances that have been stated that are above and beyond a simple lack of social skills.

This: 2. On Friday, just before the show closed, this same woman was closing up her tables when a group of four men came to her booth, started taking photographs of her, telling her she was the “prettiest girl at the con.” They they entered the booth, started hugging and kissing her and taking photographs of themselves doing so. She was confused and scared, but they left quickly after doing that.

And this: This wasn’t just me, another girl who was on the same assignment further down the hall was getting harassed so badly she briefly left her post to talk to me and make sure she wasn’t alone with the harassing dudes and so she could disappear until that particular group moved on. Skeevy dudes. “Fulfillment Room” does not have an unspoken “Sexual” in front of it, and especially the one dude sidling up to within less than six inches of me to whisper that you didn’t have a ticket but you wanted “Fulfillment” and surely I could give it to you right there right now anyways is so incredibly creeper-tastic I have no words. I try to sidle away, and this follows me. There are no other staffers in sight, and his group of 3 male friends are standing off to the side watching and grinning.

At the very least these qualify as assault and could have potentially turned into something far worse. Thankfully that wasn't the case but the behavior and mentality displayed by not just one socially awkward guy but multiple guys together makes it all the more serious of a situation that needs to be addressed and watched out for to ensure that one of these situations doesn't escalate.

Dragon*con has had a posted and noted harassment policy the last two years I've been there....

That's about how long the SEC football game has been going on the same weekend. It's actually a mix of sports fans trying to interact with the Cosplayers and not knowing the "rules"

Came here for photographic examples, leaving disappointed.

We are talking about real people here.

Perhaps the topic is too political for this venue. How long will it take before we get some version of the blame the victim comment or the lighten up comment?

A boardie on here was posting pic after pic after pic of the same girl.

Plus dozens of others.

He even boasted of having "a pocket full of $5 notes" to keep the girl to stay.

You all read it.

I found it totally distasteful - but said nothing. I am now quite embarrassed I didn't tbh.

Look back, you will see who I mean.

I have seen the gentleman concerned, and thought the comments, especially regarding the younger girls were borderline at best.

He is not a young man.

I will leave it there.