• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? for Ninja Turtles Gurus

9 posts in this topic

I would not buy one unless you had some serious provenance with it.

They were made by a Xerox machine and hand bound by Eastman and Laird. There are far more fakes than there are legit copies.

If I remember correctly there were less than 50 printed. Probably only a dozen or so that exist.

Be careful. I'd get one of our resident experts on Gobbledygook to help you find a legit copy else you'll end up buying a fake.

You could also just buy a fugitoid 1 for a few bucks instead. The first 2/3 or so of fugitoid is GG 1&2 , and the final 1/3 of the book completes the story. Ie it's a reprint with a tacked on ending that didn't previously exist.

All you'd be missing then is some cool pinups from the GG books that were not reprinted in fugitoid. As for the tmnt ads (there is no tmnt app in GG just a 'house ad') well who really cares IMO.

Of course if you have to have the originals then yeah get help 2c

Mirage claims the original print run was 150. http://miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/gobbledygook84/01/01.html Check the ink typing, lazy fakers will make copies off of a laser printer or the wrong stock of paper. I'd recommend using a jewelers loop to examine the paper and see its relative age. The vast majority of people who will fake it won't take the time to age the paper. It will at least help somewhat.

I may need to go with dices advice on this one. It sounds like if I really do my homework I might get to where I'm 90% certain of the authenticity of a book, at best. If I were to spend that kind of money, I would want to be 99.9% sure.

Do Eastman or Laird still have any copies, and if so do they ever sell any?

^ no but eastman has been known to authenticate some of them IIRC

found this interesting on Mirage's own site:

thus Mirage Studios does not consider this zine to be the first appearance of the Turtles.