• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 Registry Awards... by Sensei Ryan

11 posts in this topic

...they're only a day away.

(sung to the tune of 'Tomorrow' from the smash musical sensation Annie!)

This is my first time around as a member with the Registry Awards and I'm surprised at the lack of buzz...is it typically like this?

What say you, fellow registry members?

Is anyone else (other than this guy) excited about tomorrow? Bring on the certificates, I say!!!

Excelsior!

(Check out the pic for the Stan Lee reference)

14053.JPG

See more journals by Sensei Ryan

Sensei,

I am but yet I'm not. I achieved 1 Ribbon beside a Set that I plan to finish out X-Force. This has been a Set that I had read as a kid and I am trying to get 100% completion on in 9.8 or better but is going to take a few years at best to achieve. A 2nd Ribbon for the Marvel 2099 Set and as they pop up on the bay or in other areas I'll try to pick a few of these up but not in any real hurry here. The one I was a little down on was the Avengers vs X-Men Complete Set I have. This is the one Set that like Tnerb I will do whatever it takes to get best in show for. I have been going out and picking up original art for this one as well as having multiple Blank Covers sketched up by artists throughout this series. So I guess if anything I have found my one Set that while I won't have it this year I will do everything I can for next year and every year to follow. And like you, this is also my first year.

On a side note I may have to give you a little competition on your Red Lanterns Set. Miguel Sepulveda will be attending Wizard World Austin and I have amassed a good size of Red's for him to sign there.

K

The boards are an odd place when it comes to registry awards and the registry itself. In some forums, like Comics General, the registry as a whole is routinely ridiculed as a cynical marketing ploy by CGC. Other places like the GA Forum, the registry and awards don't even get a mention. I think the Registry Forum is the only place they get talked about to any extent. It makes for a very odd atmosphere sometimes.

FOR SURE!

You know - way more people (myself included) care about the awards/rankings, their personal sets, or other fellow comic brethrens' competing sets and or Boardies of the year -than is obviously led on!! My favorites are the ones who really scoff at this time, but are secretly chomping at the bit to see the outcome!

It is definitely a very interesting societal riddle.

Come on with all the set views, the onslaught of additions to sets right prior to deadline, the barrage Gemma receives 365 days a year with requests for book additions or complaints with points, than just the sheer time and money of buying books-adding the books-upgrading books-uploading scans-typing in set descriptions, to obscure not to obscure.....yada, yada, yada.

People obviously have some form of interest, and just do to human nature - I'd wager everyone here looks at least one of the awards due to curiosity. But many will play it off "to cool for school."

YET - if we show some form of emotion, question or concern in any forum - we are made to feel like we are posting in a Ghost town, kinda like we are from another planet. Or as a high-school buddy mine says, "like a lepper walking into a swingers party." (Ok maybe not quite like that but, too funny not to say it! lol!!)

Almost the whole cyclical scenario of the Registry and its awards are an oxymoron. Than to talk about it.....is faux pas. Nay, taboo! lol!!!

Well I'm excited and anxious to see who won what. Truly awesome the labor of love that goes into some sets AND the labor of love Gemma has committed over the years for all us!

Always fun seeing what some of us have compiled in a years time.

Best wishes!

Eric T.

If I won any registry award

i'd post pics of my set and each individual comic every year in the registry thread and maybe cg, and maybe SS (if I had a lot of SS).

Show your stuff off!

Sensei,

I am but yet I'm not. I achieved 1 Ribbon beside a Set that I plan to finish out X-Force. This has been a Set that I had read as a kid and I am trying to get 100% completion on in 9.8 or better but is going to take a few years at best to achieve. A 2nd Ribbon for the Marvel 2099 Set and as they pop up on the bay or in other areas I'll try to pick a few of these up but not in any real hurry here. The one I was a little down on was the Avengers vs X-Men Complete Set I have. This is the one Set that like Tnerb I will do whatever it takes to get best in show for. I have been going out and picking up original art for this one as well as having multiple Blank Covers sketched up by artists throughout this series. So I guess if anything I have found my one Set that while I won't have it this year I will do everything I can for next year and every year to follow. And like you, this is also my first year.

On a side note I may have to give you a little competition on your Red Lanterns Set. Miguel Sepulveda will be attending Wizard World Austin and I have amassed a good size of Red's for him to sign there.

K

Congrats on the X-Force ribbon! I loved reading it as I kinda grew up on that series, too. If you end up getting any extra RL's signed at WWA that you don't want feel free to let me know - I'm not straining too hard on the RL set to finish it but am always on the lookout for GL related stuff. GL is my passion, as most would see if they happened to look at at my set lists. :)