• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Bad Ebay Seller Experience

20 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've read many cases on here about a bad ebay experience and I have finally been a victim. I bought an ASM #361CGC 9.8 and when it finally arrived it was in an envelope with zero padding. Unsurprisingly, the case is very damaged and even more unsurprising the seller claims he ships all his CGC in an envelope with no issue and refuses any responsibility.

I should've been more cautious when dealing with a seller with only 80 feedback

I have put in a paypal dispute, but I am unfamiliar with the next step, so how will this scenario likely progress?

Thanks for any feedback,

*Update w/Pictures

tFoVLRml.jpg

cqwfiOJl.jpg

713gUfll.jpg

DSVWe7sl.jpg

GqmG5cyl.jpg

5ZE1lY8l.jpg

f8QROdNl.jpg

Take images of the case and all the damage. By the sounds of it the book is likely not going to come out an 9.8 again so you will likely have to send the book back to get a refund. The fact that they have never had an issue shipping doesn't matter. It is the SELLER's responsibility to ensure the product purchased reaches the buyer in the state it was described. You shouldn't have any issue being awarded your full refund. Will likely have to wait a few days to give the seller a chance to bark at you before you can escalate it.

I just bought a slab last night and after reading the OP's account this morning sent a message to the seller requesting it to be packed well and boxed.

I shouldn't have to do this but at this point I feel I must.

Good lord drop that name and his CGC buys will drop to nothing.

It still amazes me how many comic sellers either cant pack well or just dont care.

That is because they are not collectors to start with imo.

People who actually collect will treat it like they want it to be treated back.

I just went through this today with a seller. It wasn't a comic but rather a mini-bust. It arrived damaged. Take pictures if the damage. Send them to the seller. You will have to send the book back to him if you want a refund.

If the seller refuses to refund because you didn't purchase insurance, don't worry. It is the sellers job to make sure it arrives to you in stated condition.

If it can't be resolved, open a case. You will have to wait a few days before you can escalate it.

Once escalated explain to eBay what the problem was and they will 99.9% of the time side in your favor. (As they did in my case)

Sucks because it's a hassle but you will be refunded.

Elvis

In the few occasions this happened to me, the seller agreed at least on a partial refund. If like in this case, the book was graded, follow the dispute route and ask for a full refund, but I think you will have to ship the damaged book back to the seller. :(

thanks for all the replies. I'll post some pictures tonight when I get home.

This is the first time encounter such negligence, guess I usually buy from the boards and auction sites so everything is packed with such professionalism.

Let's see how this plays out before throwing his name into the wolves. Maybe he'll own up to the mistake; although if anyone is bidding eBay ATM and wants to know for certain they aren't dealing with this character send me a PM and I'll provide the username.

I have had this exact scenario happen to me several times, with different items, not just slabbed comics. After I let them know, and they give me the entire it's not there responsibility retort, I send them one last message saying "they should check the eBay policy more closely, because the item is there responibility until it is in my possession. They can write whatever they want in the auction, but it doesn't matter. I will file a claim for the entire amount with eBay and PayPal, as well as a chargeback with my credit card company (Hopefully you paid with a CC through PayPal). I will probably get to keep the comic, and get refunded, and you'll lose everything. So you might want to work with me."

For me, this has worked everytime.

Same thing happened to me two days ago! The seller sent my precious 9.8 superman comic in a flimsy envelope with thin asss bubble wrap... I was like WTF!? And lo' and behold it arrived chipped on a corner. Luckily the seller admitted fault and offered to pay for it to get reslabbed.

I just went through this today with a seller. It wasn't a comic but rather a mini-bust. It arrived damaged. Take pictures if the damage. Send them to the seller. You will have to send the book back to him if you want a refund.

If the seller refuses to refund because you didn't purchase insurance, don't worry. It is the sellers job to make sure it arrives to you in stated condition.

If it can't be resolved, open a case. You will have to wait a few days before you can escalate it.

Once escalated explain to eBay what the problem was and they will 99.9% of the time side in your favor. (As they did in my case)

Sucks because it's a hassle but you will be refunded.

Elvis

Can you please name drop? I think I dealt with this person in the past for a book that was the solo graded on the census. Package looks similar and he was not very helpful when I told him what happened.

i remember when i first started buying cgcs in 2001 on ebay and i couldnt tell you how many cases i got like that in the mail.its a sick feeling when you know its already messed up by just looking at how they mail it.oddly enough their are some big dealers who still dont know how to ship cgcs right. hope everything works out for you.

This is what happens when people want to save money on shipping costs.

I'd rather buy from a seller who charges a few extra bucks, and won't just wraped some printer paper around a slab so they can write my address on it.

what is the difference between filing a claim with eBay versus PayPal?

I noticed that PayPal can close your claim if its already being dealt with by eBay.

also, can anyone guide me to where I can upload supporting documents such as pictures? I see I have zero submitted but I haven't seen the tab or option to do so.