• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another victim of poor packaging posted by Jonjor

11 posts in this topic

People don't know how to package Golden Age comics

Sorry in advance guys; this is a small rant. I've been trying to get my hands on the full set of Captain Flight Comics- it was an 11 issue series during WWII. I'm not extremely wealthy, so for now I've been buying fairly low grade issues when I can find them, in hopes that when I do have more means later on, I can upgrade them.

Recently I bought Captain Flight 2 on eBay. The price was right, as it was in rough shape already. (I'd probably call it a 1.0 or a 1.5.) However, my thought was that it would serve as a placeholder for later on. I received my package today, and was already concerned when I opened the bubble envelope. I made it through the tape, and sure enough, my concern was valid. The seller had used cardboard to sandwich the comic, which is fine. However, the cardboard used was SMALLER than the size of the comic. (Golden Age comics= larger...thought everyone knew this!) So long story short, the upper right corner of the comic- the WHOLE comic, not just the cover, was demolished during shipping. We're talking pieces of pages all over the comic bag.

Thankfully it was a low grade/low priced issue, but I still couldn't be more frustrated. Thanks for listening to my rant, and I hope that similar fates don't befall any of you. Happy hunting!

14058.jpg

See more journals by Jonjor

Yeah. It isn't just the Golden Age books that eBay sellers have a problem shipping. It is also Modern. The first key in your comment was that you opened the "bubble envelope." COMICS NEED TO BE SHIPPED IN BOXES, SELLERS!!!!! I have lost a lot of money by purchasing off eBay in an attempt to locate sellers who actually take pride in their product, even AFTER they have sold it. I have since found 4 or 5 sellers who will package properly AND ship in boxes. Books shipped in envelopes will never make it to me undamaged. I collect modern, but I must admit this practice is even more pathetic when it's done to these classic Golden Age books. How can anyone it their right mind ship a piece of history such as this in a crappy envelope packaged unproperly?

I feel for you. I wish I could suggest some respectable eBay sellers for you, but, like I said, I collect modern.

It's the worst feeling in the world when a package you're excited for arrives damaged, you know before you open it that it will not be good. Sorry to hear about your experience, it's a shame this had to happen to a Golden Age book. I hope your next purchase will be a better experience, good luck with the Captain Flight Comics run.

Brandon

In the words of Yoda,

"Happy with that I would not be."

My problem with buying raw books from pretty much anywhere is that most sellers over-grade their books. I hate getting a 'NM+' description and the book arrives and is clearly a VF+ or VF/NM. I don't understand it...especially for modern books. When you have to 'chase' a particular issue and can't examine it yourself it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get. I've sworn off looking for certain issues but every now and then (in a good way) a seller surprises me with an accurate description.

So sorry to hear about your comic... :(

That's a terrible story.

I also concur with akindofbeef it's not just Golden Age comics (although you would think people would be even more careful with those) and I've had nothing but trouble with sellers on ebay of late when it comes to buying raw comics; both from a grading and packaging perspective.

This week for instance I had a Nova #1 arrive which looked amazing on the auction and I paid top dollar; it came in a bubble wrapped envelope, but bent and creased. That said, but nothing beats my all time favourite; a beautiful high grade X-Men 141 that I paid a decent amount for; it was sent in a standard envelope from the US and came crushed and bent beyond recognition - sacrilege.

Fortunately most sellers are very good customer service wise and mostly we agree refunds if they package poorly; so if you have a problem with a grade or packaging always tell the seller.

I generally treat instances like this as a learning experience and either use as a reading copy (and redouble my searching efforts) or resell (with a proper grade description and packaged correctly).

Perhaps an idea would be to collate a list of some of our favourite and trusted sellers on ebay; I know I already have a list I keep going back to.

D

I totally empathize... feel your pain and frustration. This happened to me with a vintage comics i ordered from an international eBay seller, and most recently with a comic shop in buffalo. It sucks getting things damaged.

So I decided, to forego buying ungraded comics through Ebay in favor of MyComicsShop or Midtown Comics. They know how to properly package books. Rarely do they ever get it wrong.

Good luck in getting those upgrades.

SW3D

Unfortunately it keeps on happening to me too.

I collect bronze, copper and modern age books in NM only and 10-20% of the times I received damaged books: corner bumps being the most common poor-packaging defect :(

When I buy raw books I usually send a message like this to the seller:

"Maybe you will find it obvious… but please place no more than ten books in a group between two LARGE FIRM pieces of STURDY cardboard and then secure the cardboard around them to provide firm support on top, bottom and sides of the comics.

Eventually pack these in a box with plenty of cushioning material all the way around.

I keep on receiving bumped-corner books due to poor packaging…"

Federico

Cardboard sandwiching should be at least 1" larger than the book all the way around and then wrapped in some bubble wrap. It needs some cushioning in case of a hit.

I have few similarities that can share your bad experience.

The best way is to contact the ebay seller before paying it. That email will be recorded where the customer support team can see it as the evidence. If the seller fails to meet my request and will not give me the full refund, the customer support team will award this to me because of the email that will prove everything.

I asked them if they would send them in the boxes even the additional cost. I'd rather have them undamaged.

I thought it works well so far. Hopefully it will help.

Cardboard sandwiching should be at least 1" larger than the book all the way around and then wrapped in some bubble wrap. It needs some cushioning in case of a hit.

Hey Dr. X,

I did that before but it still bent even 2" larger. I think the box is the best answer.

JollyComics has the right idea. ALWAYS contact the seller about shipping before paying. Ask how it will be packaged, and improve upon it if necessary. Ask to pay extra for a box if the post office is rough in your area, or if the book(s) are going coast to coast.

Also, I see that everyone mentions asking for large, sturdy cardboard, but you guys are forgetting the most important part: to tape and center the book(s) between the cardboard! Cardboard won't provide any protection if the books can slide around between it.

As a seller, I personally settled on cardboard bookfolds. They are perfect for my needs, and I've only received praise for my packaging method.