• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

(-) Jensen looks similar to a murderer in Locke and Key Welcome to Lovecraft, Sam.

Guessing the plot off of the preview poster (see first post in this thread for an image)

(-) The fact that Jensen isn't on the preview poster leads me to believe he will get killed by the green folk at the end of the first story arc.

(-) The bottom of the poster might be a small clue as to what's up with the last page of issue #2

(-)The following prediction is what really makes me concerned about too many similarities to Hoax Hunters.

Lewis and Clark will find some way to save the swan diving woman. We then find out she is native american. She then joins their team. If this happens I am absolutely dropping this book as I think that would be too similar to Hoax Hunters' character Murder.

His spoiler

if they are going to follow a bit with history, they need a female indian guide....not really that contrived. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea was around a lot earlier than Hoax Hunters. Not even sure why i'm using a spoiler.

My spoiler

Edited by krighton

My long responses:

I leafed through the first copy of hoax hunters and it was horrid...MD is much more entertaining.

Hoax Hunters has a great story. but. at times, it's not constructed well into issues or story arcs. A good example was issue #0 and issue #1. They just threw all that story, character build-up, etc into a mere ~50 pages.

One huge bright side for HH was issue #9. I loved the art. It reminded me of Team Fortress 2. And it was constructed extremely well. The faux ACM television commercials (Five Ghosts, Revival, Morning Glories) were great. And I found the double issue component to be incredible.

But, the worst part is the art in issues 10/11/12. It is horrendous.

Manifest Destiny #1 and MD #2 were written well and, unlike HH, constructed very well.

If they are going to follow a bit with history, they need a female indian guide....not really that contrived. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea was around a lot earlier than Hoax Hunters.

This is what I was trying to get at with my prediction:

Both stories (HH & MD) are as follows

A group of people have recurring supernatural encounters with beings unknown to the greater society. The group needs to investigate each instance and find a cause. The group end up saving & inevitably teaming up with one of their supernatural encounters from the first story arch.

If my prediction is true, that new team member is a Native American woman in MD (and Murder in HH).

All that said. I enjoyed Manifest Destiny. I enjoyed MD 1/2 much more than I enjoyed HH 0/1/2.

All I meant was I am already invested in HH (a bit of money & time in reading it) and if my predictions are true & the stories are that similar, I probably won't have MD in my pull list.

My Too long didn't read response (TL;DR):

Hoax Hunters is a tough read. I enjoyed reading Manifest Destiny more.

If the two stories are similar, I'll stay with HH as I am already invested in it a bit.

My long responses:

I leafed through the first copy of hoax hunters and it was horrid...MD is much more entertaining.

Hoax Hunters has a great story. but. at times, it's not constructed well into issues or story arcs. A good example was issue #0 and issue #1. They just threw all that story, character build-up, etc into a mere ~50 pages.

One huge bright side for HH was issue #9. I loved the art. It reminded me of Team Fortress 2. And it was constructed extremely well. The faux ACM television commercials (Five Ghosts, Revival, Morning Glories) were great. And I found the double issue component to be incredible.

But, the worst part is the art in issues 10/11/12. It is horrendous.

Manifest Destiny #1 and MD #2 were written well and, unlike HH, constructed very well.

If they are going to follow a bit with history, they need a female indian guide....not really that contrived. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea was around a lot earlier than Hoax Hunters.

This is what I was trying to get at with my prediction:

Both stories (HH & MD) are as follows

A group of people have recurring supernatural encounters with beings unknown to the greater society. The group needs to investigate each instance and find a cause. The group end up saving & inevitably teaming up with one of their supernatural encounters from the first story arch.

If my prediction is true, that new team member is a Native American woman in MD (and Murder in HH).

All that said. I enjoyed Manifest Destiny. I enjoyed MD 1/2 much more than I enjoyed HH 0/1/2.

All I meant was I am already invested in HH (a bit of money & time in reading it) and if my predictions are true & the stories are that similar, I probably won't have MD in my pull list.

My Too long didn't read response (TL;DR):

Hoax Hunters is a tough read. I enjoyed reading Manifest Destiny more.

If the two stories are similar, I'll stay with HH as I am already invested in it a bit.

HH is awesome. It's get much better as the arc develops.

I wasn't sure I'd like this book, even after the first 2 issues but each issue is making me more and more a fan. I was just worried this was going to take a long boring cliche zombie route at the end of issue 2 but I'm so glad it didn't.

DROPPPPPPPPPPPPED. holy #3 was terrible. This book had so much potential, but #2 was a little weak, and #3 was barely readable. Seemed like the writer forgot they were doing a period piece...I understand creative liberties, but the dialogue is just too far fetched for me for the period they set the story in. I find it distracting and it's just hard to buy into. I'm not a hater, I REALLY wanted to love this book, but I can't take it anymore. rantrant

the period they set the story in didn't have monsters running wild either...as far as I know.

Hence the "I understand creative liberties..." part of my rant.

Content doesn't bother me at all, I simply think the delivery of the dialogue is distracting. Sometimes it seems to fit the time period, other times its super modern... = distracting.

Looks like #1 is going back to the presses for another round:

Manifest Destiny #1 (3rd Printing)

Pub. Date: February 25, 2014

I hope they come up with an alternate cover this time...

I really hate subsequent printings with the same cover; slight coloration differentiation etc. It is SO lazy. But I suppose

publishers need to get it on the stands. I still hate it. I used to get them if I dug a title but Nowhere Men killed me on that!