• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what is YOUR birthday comic?
2 2

240 posts in this topic

I think there was a simliar thread in one of the sub-forums.

At any rate, there were a bunch of books published in November of '69 but I consider this one my b-day book. :)

AmazingSpider-Man078_zps65f2d86b.jpg

For about the 12,000th time, that book was not published in November, 1969. That book was published/onsale in August, 1969.

If you want the Spider-Man book that was on sale in November, 1969, you'd need to buy Spider-Man 81.

This book, for example, has a cover date of December, 1969, yet has a date stamp received of October 29. I'm not sure why this doesn't compute for people.

For posterity, especially when purchasing a slabbed copy, some people prefer to own something with their own birth month in black and white.

From wikipedia LINK : "The general practice of most mainstream comic book companies since the creation of the comic book in the 1930s was to date individual issues putting the name of a month (and much later the year as well) on the cover which was generally two months after the actual release date. For example, a 1951 issue of Superman which had the cover date of July would have been published two months earlier from that date in the month of May, generally speaking. In 1973 the discrepancy between the cover date and the publishing date went from two months to three months.[2] In 1989 the cover date and publishing date discrepancy was changed back to two months, though generally each comic book company now uses its own system.

Of the two major American comic book publishers, DC Comics continues to put cover dates on the cover. Marvel Comics stopped putting cover dates on the cover in October 1999; instead, the "cover" date was moved to the indicia on an interior page."

The inconsistencies between publishers and time periods just makes me feel even more "meh" about the argument. I want something that says MY birth month on it. And seeing as I couldn't have read any comics when I was only a few weeks old, and I certainly couldn't have read the "true published month" issue while in the womb, I am perfectly happy to display my birth month books that display my birth month.

Just my two cent rantrant

I think there was a simliar thread in one of the sub-forums.

At any rate, there were a bunch of books published in November of '69 but I consider this one my b-day book. :)

AmazingSpider-Man078_zps65f2d86b.jpg

For about the 12,000th time, that book was not published in November, 1969. That book was published/onsale in August, 1969.

If you want the Spider-Man book that was on sale in November, 1969, you'd need to buy Spider-Man 81.

This book, for example, has a cover date of December, 1969, yet has a date stamp received of October 29. I'm not sure why this doesn't compute for people.

You'll need another 100 birthday book threads before it finally sinks in, Dan. And here's the link to find out what books were REALLY on the stands when you guys were born: http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=marvel&type=calendar&month=11&year=1969&sort=alpha

Oh look, there's ASM # 81, on sale November 1969!

For posterity, especially when purchasing a slabbed copy, some people prefer to own something with their own birth month in black and white.

The inconsistencies between publishers and time periods just makes me feel even more "meh" about the argument. I want something that says MY birth month on it. And seeing as I couldn't have read any comics when I was only a few weeks old, and I certainly couldn't have read the "true published month" issue while in the womb, I am perfectly happy to display my birth month books that display my birth month.

Exactly my thinking. I was aware of the publishing offset time but to have it written makes it feel like your actual birthday comic. Think of it as a birthday present that was mailed to you by a family member ahead of time in order to reach you on your birthday but might have been delayed in transit :)

Exactly my thinking. I was aware of the publishing offset time but to have it written makes it feel like your actual birthday comic. Think of it as a birthday present that was mailed to you by a family member ahead of time in order to reach you on your birthday but might have been delayed in transit :)

So it was sent Canada Post?

:baiting: