• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easing Back In...

18 posts in this topic

Hello All!!

I wanted to drop a note to (re)introduce myself. I got started collecting OA in 2005, nearly 8 years ago exactly. I was active in the hobby and community for a few years, trailed off, and have taken the past three years off.

I have never been able to shake the hobby, so I am reapproaching it now with realigned values and goals. Hopefully I won't make the same mistakes twice, or at least I will try to harness some of the knowledge from back then and combine it with a little more age and wisdom.

The #1 thing I'll be doing differently is concentrating on only a few acquisitions per year, if all goes well, and growing the collection over time. I realized toward the end of the "first wave" of my collecting career that I only was interested in having my art framed and up on the walls. So while updates will be few and far between, I am easing back in to the community and the discussions, and wanted to say "hi". Here's my gallery:

http://cafurl.com?i=143

And here are a couple pieces I picked up recently. For those who remember me, it won't surprise you to see that I've found a great Sandman page to lead off my return.

http://cafurl.com?i=20121

I also nabbed a great partial Green Lantern cover which doesn't look like much now, but is going to look awesome when I get it back from the framers...

http://cafurl.com?i=20122

Anyhow, it's good to be back, and I hope to chat with some old chums and make some new ones. Feel free to drop me a line to say hi!

Best,

JH

Hey Jonathan,

I'm one of those new collectors to spring-up while you were gone. Welcome back! I think I have an old piece of yours, and actually quoted your description of it in my own.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1002369

I asked the other Jonathan if he thought it would ok with you when I got it from him, and he figured you wouldn't mind. He had quoted you as well in his description of the piece, and I thought it a beautiful explanation of what Tony was doing with it. I credited your words, but if you'd like I'd be happy to take it down. It would be a shame though, because it's really well-written and fits the cover perfectly. My compliments to your collection as well. I love the Y and Ex Machina covers, and congratulations on acquiring an awesome Sandman page!

Joe S.

Hey Joe,

No worries at all. That is a great cover, one of my favorites from the series, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!! Tony has been knocking out some great art lately.

As for BKV stories, it is a real shame that Fiona Staples is digitally based. Saga is one of my favorite books out now.

JH

Jonathan,

Hey WB!!! Its still the same band of crazy OA worshiping malcontents. :grin:

I haven't visited your CAF in a while and this post made me hit the link to see the 'Tec 628 Cover in all its glory. Thanks for that, just love the piece and had forgotten where it was - (thumbs u

Thanks Jonathon, I'm a big fan of both of their work, (together and individually). On a separate note, I can't wait to see what JH Williams does with Sandman!

If anyone was going to return to the OA hobby I suspect JESUSJon is about who I expected. :hi:

That new SANDMAN page acquisition is INCREDIBLE. :golfclap:

And, I too, can't wait to see JHWIII on SANDMAN. His art got me reading BATWOMAN That is the first time I ever read a series just to see the incredible pages from the artist. His SANDMAN is going to be spectacular.

Thanks, guys.

JHW on Sandman is a dream come true. Though I don't think people were prepared for the first pages unveiled to feature Morpheus...as a flower.

Here's a peek at the first few pages in the slide show here:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/comic-con-sandman-overture-neil-gaiman-j-h-williams/#/1

Can't wait!

JH

Welcome back !!

I'm one of those late comers (I hope it's not a sex term is it ? :blush:),

starting on 2005.

I'm not sure I had the privilege on talking with you online, but be sure

that I admire your taste (Golden's best Tec cover for starters).

Looking forward for your next posts.

Cheers,

Gal

Welcome back!!

I fondly remember when you started the buck slip sketches. :)

I imagine I will get a few more of those over the coming years. Really was pretty happy with what I had and didn't want to hunt down the same folks over and over for more, but there are several artists I'd still like to get something from...

More thanks guys.

JH

Welcome back, Jonathan! As similar as our tastes have always been, it can't be a good thing for me to have you back in the hobby!! I guess there's enough art around for the both of us, though! I love the new acquisitions!