• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leafcasting Comic Books

179 posts in this topic

It's worth mentioning, this Tec 35 is NOT the Bob Kane copy.

Not that this copy isn't totally cool, it just isn't from the recent copies up for auction.

And fwiw.

If this was a Kane copy, would it matter? I honestly want to know what people think because it has come up.

If this was a Kane copy, would it matter? I honestly want to know what people think because it has come up.

Do what it takes to preserve those historical books! They deserve it! :sumo:

Roy might have the same system I do, where I get tiny electrical shocks every time a post is made in a watched thread.

Nope, just scanning this forum as I haven't been here in a few weeks. :D

Well glad you joined us.

I'm one who thought this was a Kane file copy at first. I agree that conserving and maybe even a little restoration will be a positive thing for most or all of them.

They will benefit by being stabilized 2c

Well glad you joined us.

I'm one who thought this was a Kane file copy at first. I agree that conserving and maybe even a little restoration will be a positive thing for most or all of them.

They will benefit by being stabilized 2c

Agreed. The decision should have nothing to do with monetary value and everything to do with preserving an important piece of comic history.

How tough is it to match up the colour of the leaf casting to the actual colour of the paper being repaired?

On tanned interiors, it's tough. Mainly because I use similar era newsprint to cast with because it allows the casting to feel natural. Unfortunately overly tanned newsprint is past its prime and does not have the tensile strength to create a strong enough bond, and remain flexible. And adding in better "color matching" non newsprint paper to the casting can make it too rigid.

So I try and color match the interior, of the interior. If that makes sense. Because typically only the outer edges, and spine are burnt. Becoming better quality the farther you go into the center of any given page.

Ultimately I try and balance a match between how it feels, and how it looks. But on 70+ year old Tanned interiors..there are about 75 shades of Tan/CR/OW to try and match depending on what part of the interior you are looking at. Or what wrap it is.

So I try and color match the interior, of the interior. If that makes sense. Because typically only the outer edges, and spine are burnt. Becoming better quality the farther you go into the center of any given page.

Ah, I see that now when I look at the corner of the spine and how it matches the center of the back page. (thumbs u

That is a fascinating process I must say. What is so beautiful is that it preserves, conserves and restores a comic that would other wise no longer be in existence. It seems to take an artist to preserve art

How tough is it to match up the colour of the leaf casting to the actual colour of the paper being repaired?

On tanned interiors, it's tough. Mainly because I use similar era newsprint to cast with because it allows the casting to feel natural. Unfortunately overly tanned newsprint is past its prime and does not have the tensile strength to create a strong enough bond, and remain flexible. And adding in better "color matching" non newsprint paper to the casting can make it too rigid.

I was going to ask is there any benefit to using paper of the same era or make when leaf casting. For example the step with the blender we saw in the video...

AsZe-man said it is a long road to hoe so maybe this will take away some of the stigma that goes with restoration and show its greater significance to the comic collecting hobby.

Cap 1 cover, that might need help? :D

cap%201%20pieces_zpskf5bjji9.jpg

Cobbled together.

cap%201%20together_zpsdlpebhbe.jpg

Before Leaf casting,

cap%201%20cover%20together%20angle_zpsajfeluva.jpg

After Leaf casting

cap%201%20casted%20top%20down_zpsuskl7xkg.jpg

Rolling a cover that was previously chips and pieces. :cloud9:

cap%201%20casted%20rounded_zpseazgb8qd.jpg

cap%201%20casted%20folded%202_zpsdvlppp1d.jpg