• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leafcasting Comic Books

179 posts in this topic

Hey Kenny, just wondering about rips and tears and how leaf casting them figures to work on them. I can see from examples that areas are filled in with the new paper, however there isnt a space in a rip or tear to fill. So how is it mended? Can you post an example? Thanks

Chris

So very cool! I love seeing examples of your work. Magic and art!

You'll see another example soon, it's been long overdue.

:blush:

Hey Kenny, just wondering about rips and tears and how leaf casting them figures to work on them. I can see from examples that areas are filled in with the new paper, however there isnt a space in a rip or tear to fill. So how is it mended? Can you post an example? Thanks

Chris

Good question, if you look at the spine of this book(across from Cap, and Namors heads). The lateral spine tears are filled through the casting process. Yeah, there is not exactly a lot of room for pulp to filter through and fill, seal the tear.

IMG_3700_zpshkbobptq.jpg

But water has a way of finding every possible path to escape when gravity is involved. So even a minor tear will accumulate paper pulp, which bonds itself to the edges.

This is more a side effect of a major casting, then just sealing small tears. And even then, you need to sometimes reinforce weak,creased, hinged areas that do not allow paper pulp to flow through.

A good example of somebody who wanted to enjoy a cover again.

No CT, just casting.

Sorry for crummy iphone photos.

IMG_3476_zpsjto2vgzo.jpg

IMG_3700_zpshkbobptq.jpg

IMG_3480_zpsx07znwrj.jpg

IMG_3703_zpslehoohet.jpg

IMG_3697_zpsqbr2zot5.jpg

IMG_3696_zpsgym74i7b.jpg

IMG_3701_zpsjzylxlmv.jpg

I really love this approach. Especially with a book that has so much loss of the original image on the cover. To me, this is a great way to stabilize the book and allow the owner to handle it and even read through it without fear it's going to crumble into a pile of flakes. I just sold a bunch of original owner WW's, there was a #122 where the cover was in a dozen pieces. Such a beautiful cover it was, I imagined how it could be leaf-cast and made "whole" again, albeit no CT, it still would have been lovely. Alas, it doesn't rise to the level of importance (justify the expense) of this book. But I think this method could be used to save a lot of books that probably wouldn't be, if they required extensive work to restore the lost images.

And how the heck do you guys do that anyway (worship)

So very cool! I love seeing examples of your work. Magic and art!

You'll see another example soon, it's been long overdue.

:blush:

He's baaaaaaack :applause:

This is my cover that Kenny brought back to life. I found this book many years ago in a warehouse full of comics (mostly modern) I was helping a shop owner sort out. The top corners had been chewed off of the book completely. It was my payment for sorting through some really nasty boxes and running the risk of contracting Legionnaires' Disease or something worse.

At the time I took it to Matt and he said doing a traditional resto job on the cover would be really, really expensive and would have mediocre results at best. Then Kenny came along and started leafcasting -- completely changed the game. What, IMO, made this a good candidate was that, despite the splitting and missing areas, the main image remained largely intact. It's a great example of the application of leafcasting.

Bravo, Kenny! :golfclap:

Before I update this thread, I wanted to send a shout out to Jefferykli (if you're even reading this) I have had your book way too long, and have just let it sit. I'm not sure why, to be honest with you. It will be done shortly, once I get back from Chicago.

And why am I writing this here instead of in a PM?? Because I am embarrassed, and wanted it known publicly that Jeffery has been incredibly patient, and nice about the entire thing. I've dropped the ball and deserve criticism over it.

I have have been busy though, mostly with house, and home. Raising the kids is my main job, one I take seriously. That said, I have been doing massive R&D with my entire leafcasting process, it consumes me! As well as training somebody to assist me. It's a slow going process that takes a LOT of time to let this person gain confidence and skill before ever touching client books. It will take at least another year before that day comes, but great progress is being made. This guy is good, we go back 25 years(from my stained glass days)

Back to Leaf Casted Comic Books

A trimmed up, married interior that had vintage donor material, attached to all the outer edges with massive amounts of japan tissue on both sides!! As well as donor comic paper used as piecefill to the missing spine. Too bad it was from a different issue!

All that got washed off, and each wrap was leaf casted to make for a more natural, seamless fill.

BEFORE

IMG_6240_zpsmmgbm8z1.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6326_zpsmdkuh7th.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_6123_zps0x0i3ssb.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6320_zps4avxs8jl.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_6136_zpsehm4jen6.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6323_zps3vbpbzpc.jpg

Here is what they used for piece fill on the spines, lol Anybody know what issue these came from?

IMG_6230_zpsj9w7yid6.jpg

Before I update this thread, I wanted to send a shout out to Jefferykli (if you're even reading this) I have had your book way too long, and have just let it sit. I'm not sure why, to be honest with you. It will be done shortly, once I get back from Chicago.

And why am I writing this here instead of in a PM?? Because I am embarrassed, and wanted it known publicly that Jeffery has been incredibly patient, and nice about the entire thing. I've dropped the ball and deserve criticism over it.

I have have been busy though, mostly with house, and home. Raising the kids is my main job, one I take seriously. That said, I have been doing massive R&D with my entire leafcasting process, it consumes me! As well as training somebody to assist me. It's a slow going process that takes a LOT of time to let this person gain confidence and skill before ever touching client books. It will take at least another year before that day comes, but great progress is being made. This guy is good, we go back 25 years(from my stained glass days)

:applause: No need to beat yourself up over it; it happened, it's in the past, and all you can do is move forward. Looking forward to the book when it's finished, same as when I first sent it to you. :foryou:

:baiting: but you could learn how to spell my name...

Is that an Action 1 or Superman 1?

That's the ever popular, highly collectible, super cowpoke, Tex Thomson story.

Soon to be Major Motion Picture.