• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

This was my first SDCC.

Well it was a lot of fun in all in all very exhausting. The high point for me was meeting a ton of boardies whom I now can put a name to a face. Doug, James, JJ, Steven you guys made the trip for me, thanks. Also hanging with the CGC crew, that's always a blast

My next favorite high point was getting a captain America comic signed by the cast of Captain America II, The line for the sigs was long and we were packed in so tight that it seemed like ten or more people were breathing the air I usually reserve for me. The one thing that kept me upright was the knowledge that if I passed out I would most not hit the floor…. Really it was that tight…

Other highlights…. Getting 20 George R.R. Martin books signed… Special thanks to Mollie for doing some CAW work for me, w/o much notice. You are the best.

Getting 6 Stan Lee books and 15 Superman Unchained #1 books signed (Most with 4 or 5 signatures)

One of the frustrating at things at the was that the exhibitor badges (I had one) made it very difficult or down right excluded you from purchasing exclusives, and in the case of DC Comics kept you from getting signatures.

The vendors were told that anyone with an exhibitor badge could not line up prior to the doors opening (I was told be several, that I could not line up prior to a ½ hour after the doors were open. The justification was that FANS deserve the first shot at exclusives…

I understand that the issue with DC excluding exhibitors from getting signatures was caused by a specific facilitator’s behavior during a show prior to SDCC. I guess Jim Lee placed a ban on all CGC SS for exhibitors at the DC booth, apparently he’s had enough of that… doh!

Thanks Ryan for the assist in getting Jim Lee’s sig anyway

I am sorry you had a hard time with the exclusives. I do get it though. This is basically the same problem as the early 90s speculator problem, it hurts fans that want to buy stuff because others that have no interest in comics are buying 10-20 of an item thinking that they will sell it soon for a lot more than they paid. I doubt that we can ever see a true balance come to be, but hopefully I am wrong. At least you got to get stuff signed from the cast of Captain America 2. I would have loved to been there for that. I wish you the best of luck at future conventions.

Would love to go to SDCC but its like you have to sacrifice your 1st born just to go online and have the opportunity to buy tickets. Doesn't guarantee you'll be able to actually purchase them.

I hear they sell tickets to SDCC 2014 at SDCC 2013 and I believe that puts those who aren't at the con to begin with at a disadvantage.

I've been to NYCC every year since it began and I've never had issues getting tickets nor have I had the opportunity to buy tickets for the following year's con simply because they don't do that sort of thing.

As for Exclusives being sold to fans, I can't blame DC Comics or other similar companies from implementing the same policy simply because there are greedy people who take advantage of those who can't make the venue and sell exclusive products at huge mark ups. I highly doubt the OLD MAN LOGAN action figure originally sold for $50 at the con (that's the average cost of the figure on eBay as of yesterday). It's like $50 is the magic number between the action figures and the comics, it's ridiculous. Here's hoping they continue the trend.

Would love to go to SDCC but its like you have to sacrifice your 1st born just to go online and have the opportunity to buy tickets. Doesn't guarantee you'll be able to actually purchase them.

I hear they sell tickets to SDCC 2014 at SDCC 2013 and I believe that puts those who aren't at the con to begin with at a disadvantage.

I've been to NYCC every year since it began and I've never had issues getting tickets nor have I had the opportunity to buy tickets for the following year's con simply because they don't do that sort of thing.

As for Exclusives being sold to fans, I can't blame DC Comics or other similar companies from implementing the same policy simply because there are greedy people who take advantage of those who can't make the venue and sell exclusive products at huge mark ups. I highly doubt the OLD MAN LOGAN action figure originally sold for $50 at the con (that's the average cost of the figure on eBay as of yesterday). It's like $50 is the magic number between the action figures and the comics, it's ridiculous. Here's hoping they continue the trend.

I totally understand what you are saying...

But they can achieve the same thing buy limiting the sales of any exclusive to one per person.....

so who blew it for everyone else?

+1

I totally understand what you are saying...

But they can achieve the same thing buy limiting the sales of any exclusive to one per person.....

Which they're already doing.

The show has reached critical mass. It's just too hard to do anything you actually want to do without it either taking too long or costing too much money. I'd rather go to a smaller local show with really awesome artists (ECCC, C2E2, NYCC, Arizona, etc)

Other highlights…. Getting 20 George R.R. Martin books signed… Special thanks to Mollie for doing some CAW work for me, w/o much notice. You are the best.

You wouldn't happen to be planning on selling any of those RR Martin SS books would you???

hm:wishluck:

+1

^ this. Who do we have to thank now?

While DC pointed to some incidents at Wondercon as the impetus for this new policy, I imagine that this was some time in the making. It's my understanding that DC/Jim Lee were not happy with fans being asked by facilitators to carry books through the lines in order to move volumes of books through for CGC. This happens at many shows and many facilitators do this (I admit to having done this myself). I imagine that this would be very frustrating for Jim Lee as he has often set aside time to sign CGC books (for a fee of $10 per book) at shows.

Again, it's sad, but I understand it. These guys sign to make fans happy. They don't sign so that dealers can make money flipping CGC books. I'm not saying that CGC people aren't fans (often, they are huge fans). I'm also not saying that CGCing and flipping is bad for fans (it's fans who want to own cool SS books that make this all possible). Still, I can see how DC or any other company would not be happy with this.

This was my first SDCC.

Well it was a lot of fun in all in all very exhausting. The high point for me was meeting a ton of boardies whom I now can put a name to a face. Doug, James, JJ, Steven you guys made the trip for me, thanks. Also hanging with the CGC crew, that's always a blast

My next favorite high point was getting a captain America comic signed by the cast of Captain America II, The line for the sigs was long and we were packed in so tight that it seemed like ten or more people were breathing the air I usually reserve for me. The one thing that kept me upright was the knowledge that if I passed out I would most not hit the floor…. Really it was that tight…

Getting 6 Stan Lee books and 15 Superman Unchained #1 books signed (Most with 4 or 5 signatures)

One of the frustrating at things at the was that the exhibitor badges (I had one) made it very difficult or down right excluded you from purchasing exclusives, and in the case of DC Comics kept you from getting signatures.

The vendors were told that anyone with an exhibitor badge could not line up prior to the doors opening (I was told be several, that I could not line up prior to a ½ hour after the doors were open. The justification was that FANS deserve the first shot at exclusives…

I understand that the issue with DC excluding exhibitors from getting signatures was caused by a specific facilitator’s behavior during a show prior to SDCC. I guess Jim Lee placed a ban on all CGC SS for exhibitors at the DC booth, apparently he’s had enough of that… doh!

Steve,

I had a blast hanging out with you, Rich, RMA, Brian, JJ, and the whole "CGC west" crew. Thanks to you and especially Rich for letting Doug, Cody, James, Scott, and I have a place to call home on the floor. You guys rock.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out...

Sigh...

I think you're giving the people (including myself) too much credit. Nic Cage? Tony Gwynn? The ugly Asian girl from the new Wolverine movie?

+1

^ this. Who do we have to thank now?

I'd be speculating, so I'd rather not say who the rumor mill is pointing at..

However I can say that what I find to be the disturbing part is... Simply this efforts of all of us, and we are negatively impacted by the actions of a very few (or one), who make US ALL LOOK BAD!!!!

The very fact that Jim Lee placed the ban on exhibitors and not some disgruntled and irrelevant recluse makes me extremely upset.

:frustrated::censored::frustrated:

You wouldn't happen to be planning on selling any of those RR Martin SS books would you???

yup! (thumbs u

This was my first SDCC.

Steve,

I had a blast hanging out with you, Rich, RMA, Brian, JJ, and the whole "CGC west" crew. Thanks to you and especially Rich for letting Doug, Cody, James, Scott, and I have a place to call home on the floor. You guys rock.

Like I said, meeting/hanging you guys (I like the "CGC west" tag. Although that never worked out for the avengers....) was the highlight for me... I guess next year will be hard to beat!

yup! (thumbs u

PM SENT!

Shouldn't be hard to figure out...

Sigh...

Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil_zps2d8de68d.jpg

Dre and JJ broke out some monkeys from the zoo and dressed them up as children to get a ton of books signed at the DC Booth at Wondercon.

Damnit I knew it. :insane: