• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the comics you had as a kid?

111 posts in this topic

What happened to the comics you had as a kid? Is there anybody to blame for their loss other than your very self? Or do you still have them?

I got rid of my boyhood comic collection when I graduated to Mad, Drag Cartoons and Creepy and Eerie magazines in late 1964 or early 1965. I sold a stack of nearly fifty DC comics in very decent condition (I was always careful to keep my comics really nice) from the 1960-64 period for three cents each to a local variety store! The ones I sold included Justice League of America 4, 5 and 8-16, Brave and the Bold 43, Flash 124 and 129 and Atom 1.

But my interest in comics (and gum cards) never completely left me during my school years and I'd frequently check out the comics on the spinner racks when I was in high school. By 1972 when I was in college I was back to buying DC comics off the rack at newsstands, although I initially felt a bit sheepish about doing so, I attended my first comic convention at the University of Western Ontario about the same year.

It was in 1979 when I set out in relatively organized fashion to reacquire whatever I had or even coveted as a kid.

What then is your story?

???

Started reading in about 1967, avidly collecting in 1972, and still pretty much have them all.

Most of what I've sold were duplicates. But also sold my Cerebus collection because the title sucked on re-read. Also sold Conan 25-up and Savage Sword of Conan 21-up, as I couldn't imagine ever wading through all those same-old, same-old stories again.

I still have 99% (well, maybe 98%) of all the comics I have acquired in my whole life.

It has happened that I upgraded some comics I had when I was about 5, 6 or 7 years old, but more than often I keep the original ones as well. (thumbs u

My first Marvel comics, however, start when I was about 8 years old (1977), so they have always been more or less preserved (they are italian editions).

I recently sold some of my earlier italian editions, but for most of them I have now the corresponding original US books. :)

There’s an italian book I had gifted from my dad as a kid, which was my first esposure to early Lee/Kirby FF. I love it, and still have it… I must have read it a million times when I received it… :cloud9:

Unfortunately, as a kid... I liked to cut out the superheroes and make collages... or I'd cut out the characters to trace/attempt to draw. :cry:

:lol: I did that by filling up my first Marvel Value Stamp book. I think I've gradually replaced all those books through the years. I'm too chicken to check out my Hulk 181 :eek:

Unfortunately, as a kid... I liked to cut out the superheroes and make collages... or I'd cut out the characters to trace/attempt to draw. :cry:

:lol: I did that by filling up my first Marvel Value Stamp book. I think I've gradually replaced all those books through the years. I'm too chicken to check out my Hulk 181 :eek:

I had one of those old square trunks to store my comics in... so I was a big DD fan (no way!!) and Wolverine, Spider-man (sorry DC fans), X-Men etc...

The trunk looked pretty cool in the end because I was so meticulous about cutting out the characters and taping them to the trunk, the entire thing was covered! :cloud9:

Now, as for the books... :cry:

I had one of those old square trunks to store my comics in... so I was a big DD fan (no way!!) and Wolverine, Spider-man (sorry DC fans), X-Men etc...

The trunk looked pretty cool in the end because I was so meticulous about cutting out the characters and taping them to the trunk, the entire thing was covered! :cloud9:

Now, as for the books... :cry:

My favorite character has always been DD :luhv:

started collecting in 72. moved 20 long boxes of Marvel and DC cross country in early 90's- still have about 90% of those books; the other 10% have been slabbed and/or sold. Had another 8 or so long boxes of Harvey, Archie, Misc that were "stolen" during a separate cross country journey in mid 90's.

I stopped buying/collecting comics as a young teenager in the early to mid-1980s, after collecting pretty heavily during the late 70s...all of the comics (including a bunch of Mad magazines :baiting: ) I had acquired to that point remained in storage in my childhood home all of this time ...until last summer (kudos to my parents for not throwing any out, either). Last summer, I finally got the urge to go retrieve what was left of my childhood collections (including the comics) from my parents' home (they still live in the same house where I grew up, across the country)...this urge probably came from the fact that I have a 4 year old son and 6 year old daughter, and I want to start sharing some of these things with them.

Well, when I got the comics back and started going through them, my collecting fire reignited, and since then I've been refocusing the collection on what appeals to me now, which is heavily influenced by what I coveted as a kid (but could not afford then). As for my childhood books that no longer fit in my re-focused collecting genres....they are in short boxes in my house, "to be sold" (have already sold some of them here on the boards).

Man I love seeing those Marvel Value Stamps. I was disappointed when I was reading some books the other day and they had been cut out (not by me).

This is for Harvey. Early italian Daredevils came out when I was too small (2 years old) but I picked them later on. I sold my lowgrade #1 and #2 but I think I still have some of the others. Up to #7 Daredevil was already colored in Red in Italy:

z0wqsqph.jpg

This is for Harvey. Early italian Daredevils came out when I was too small (2 years old) but I picked them later on. I sold my lowgrade #1 and #2 but I think I still have some of the others. Up to #7 Daredevil was already colored in Red in Italy:

That is awesome!! :banana: Not gonna lie... I've given the #1 Mexican version a long hard hm

I want to own the different foreign versions one day. Is there a list somewhere how many different versions there are? I can't find one online? (shrug)

:gossip: And Italians loved the Surfer huh?

I currently have a select few of the hundreds and hundreds of comics I bought new off the racks from 1972 - 1980, plus a handful of my "OO" treasuries, magazines, early trades (Origins of Marvel Comics, etc.), and paperback-format comics from that same era. The rest were lost/destroyed during various moves, or given away to younger relatives.

What's more regrettable for me is that ALL of the better SA back issues I bought in my early teens were sold during the '80s, at a time when cars, guitars, girls, partying, hamburgers, gasoline, amplifiers, stereo gear, etc., were taking a big toll on my small bank account.

Dumb move, but I had fun...I guess.

For the italian ones, you can start here: (thumbs u

http://atomik67.altervista.org/COMICS-EDITORI/CORNO/DEVIL-DOCUMENTI/Devil_Crono1.htm

In italy, early Spideys and early Daredevil (especially #1s) are among the more costly, but nothing compared to the values of the original editions.

Many of those books had stickers and/or posters, with them still there the books can fetch some stupid money (i.e. 5 to 10x the same copies without the stickers).

I still have at least two of the three I am posting, for sure. Here’s other two.

In Italy Daredevil was called simply "Devil" – I always liked the custom designed italian logo. The title published also Iron Man and Ghost Rider as backup features (italian books were 48 pages each):

zXBWbo4h.jpg

9QqfMVhh.jpg