• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Early Amazing AZ Comic Con Thread

181 posts in this topic

Yeah I saw the ticket price hike, I was planning to take subs but may be skipping this year.

Tickets are nearly double from what they were last year and the guest list is much weaker this year. Last year they had Jim Lee and Stan Lee. Johns is cool but I wouldn't say he is nearly the draw of the previously two mentioned.

They did a groupon last year and maybe they will do it again this year. I'm hoping you attend I got a few subs I am willing to do with you at con. I'm not sure the show is big enough for CGC to be there themselves yet.

I'll probably be there, im just disappointed and feel the need to vent about it.

Cgc will be there the last time I talked to Mike.

VIP went up by $50 too...

Hey Guys- just thought i would check in with the thread.

This week we have been rolling more guest announcements. We should be announcing one or two a day for the rest of this week and then several per week for the next few weeks. We feel confident with the guest list we are bringing showcases the best books on today's market:

Walking Dead

Forever Evil

Justice League

Aquaman

Wolverine

Deadpool

Uncanny X-Men

New X-Men

Nova

Harley Quinn

Flash

Detective

My Little Pony

Star Wars

Transfomers

Grimm Fairy Tales

And we're not done yet...

Still some BIG moves that are being finalized. We

As for the price increase, Single day tickets are exactly the same price as last year, with 3 day admissions only $10 more than last year. Still significantly lower than a Wizard Show and most events on the calendar.

As for Premium Packages, I think some people on the thread have a misunderstanding, as the Standard VIP is just $10 more (in total) than last year- which again was reflective of the ticket themselves.

While I think this event is a good value for fans looking for comic books, comic creators, comic art, ultimately it's your choice whether this event is for you or not.

And if you are in the Phoenix Area on Thursday Night- December 5th-

I invite you to come out to the Tilted Kilt in Downtown Phoenix-

I will be buying rounds of drinks at a Pre-Con get together. You can chat about any and all of this in person, wit me and the Amazing Comic Con staff.

Hope to see you at the show!

Best-

Jimmy S. Jay...

Hey Guys- just thought i would check in with the thread.

This week we have been rolling more guest announcements. We should be announcing one or two a day for the rest of this week and then several per week for the next few weeks. We feel confident with the guest list we are bringing showcases the best books on today's market:

Walking Dead

Forever Evil

Justice League

Aquaman

Wolverine

Deadpool

Uncanny X-Men

New X-Men

Nova

Harley Quinn

Flash

Detective

My Little Pony

Star Wars

Transfomers

Grimm Fairy Tales

And we're not done yet...

Still some BIG moves that are being finalized. We

As for the price increase, Single day tickets are exactly the same price as last year, with 3 day admissions only $10 more than last year. Still significantly lower than a Wizard Show and most events on the calendar.

As for Premium Packages, I think some people on the thread have a misunderstanding, as the Standard VIP is just $10 more (in total) than last year- which again was reflective of the ticket themselves.

While I think this event is a good value for fans looking for comic books, comic creators, comic art, ultimately it's your choice whether this event is for you or not.

And if you are in the Phoenix Area on Thursday Night- December 5th-

I invite you to come out to the Tilted Kilt in Downtown Phoenix-

I will be buying rounds of drinks at a Pre-Con get together. You can chat about any and all of this in person, wit me and the Amazing Comic Con staff.

Hope to see you at the show!

Best-

Jimmy S. Jay...

I won't be able to make drinks tonight as I am recovering from a wisdom tooth extraction but I wanted to weigh in on the concerns.

I have exhibited at the Amazing Con since it started a few years ago. Jimmy and Bill are good people who work really hard to make their shows a success for both exhibitors and attendees. They have brought some of the biggest names in the industry to this show which is great for Phoenix and attendees.

I do believe some of the noise about getting names and other information out earlier has merit; however, I also believe that trying to gain commitments from big names is very difficult, especially when your show is early in the year as some individuals are on the road almost constantly once they start their Con season. There is a reason the Conventions slow down or stop during the November and December Holiday Season. Trying to get guests to restart their season is a challenge that we do not have to deal with but promoters do.

At the end of the day, the Amazing Comic Con has delivered each and every year. The focus and attention is on comic books and related guests, artists, etc. I really hope some of you take the time to attend the convention and give it a chance as history says you will not be disappointed.

Ed Robertson

So, how is the comic dealer attendance at these Amazing AZ Comic Cons? I know I skipped the Phoenix Comic Con last year because the number of dealers the year before could be counted on both hands. I would be willing to give this con a try if I thought there was an opportunity for me to spend a day looking at (and buying) just comic books instead of toys and other genre related items. I think it took me all of 3 hours to look through all the comic dealers booths (Ed's booth was the highlight of the con) at the last con I attended, which was a huge disappointment.

So, how is the comic dealer attendance at these Amazing AZ Comic Cons? I know I skipped the Phoenix Comic Con last year because the number of dealers the year before could be counted on both hands. I would be willing to give this con a try if I thought there was an opportunity for me to spend a day looking at (and buying) just comic books instead of toys and other genre related items. I think it took me all of 3 hours to look through all the comic dealers booths (Ed's booth was the highlight of the con) at the last con I attended, which was a huge disappointment.

As far as dealers of comics from this area the majority of the ones I know are not getting tables this year. The cost of the tables are too much for them to justify it. I can say this though alot of them are sponsoring room parties at the Marriott in place of that.

As far as dealers of comics from this area the majority of the ones I know are not getting tables this year. The cost of the tables are too much for them to justify it. I can say this though alot of them are sponsoring room parties at the Marriott in place of that.

Well, that is discouraging, but I appreciate the information. It sounds like I need to save my money this year for a trip to an out of state con again. It stinks that Arizona hosts 2 cons and neither have enough comic dealers to make it worthwhile to attend.

Well, that is discouraging, but I appreciate the information. It sounds like I need to save my money this year for a trip to an out of state con again. It stinks that Arizona hosts 2 cons and neither have enough comic dealers to make it worthwhile to attend.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I picked up a nice 1940s-60s collection in September that has over 100 Horror comics and a nice group of All-Star, Detective, Superman and others. Sales were brisk at Long Beach even with Harley, Terry O'Neill and several other good CA dealers. It all depends on what each buyer is looking for. You can go to a large Con but then what I hear is "lots of nice books but way overpriced".

I can say that if Phoenix want to have local Cons, then they need to support them or they will definitely have to fly to other states at some point. It was not that long ago that there were no Cons in Phoenix. Just saying.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I picked up a nice 1940s-60s collection in September that has over 100 Horror comics and a nice group of All-Star, Detective, Superman and others. Sales were brisk at Long Beach even with Harley, Terry O'Neill and several other good CA dealers. It all depends on what each buyer is looking for. You can go to a large Con but then what I hear is "lots of nice books but way overpriced".

I can say that if Phoenix want to have local Cons, then they need to support them or they will definitely have to fly to other states at some point. It was not that long ago that there were no Cons in Phoenix. Just saying.

So they have been cherry picked :baiting:

lol:hi:

So they have been cherry picked :baiting:

Depends on which Cherry you are looking for. :baiting: Hey Brian, hope the new job is going well.

lol:hi:

There have been local cons for years here. The problem is what I call the old guard got set in their ways and didn't want to change with the times. My guess is Amazing Arizona will do 25,000 people this year moving into to downtown phoenix, but Jimmy really needs a crew in this town to get him to the next step and have this run like a functioning con.

They did a groupon last year and maybe they will do it again this year. I'm hoping you attend I got a few subs I am willing to do with you at con. I'm not sure the show is big enough for CGC to be there themselves yet.

I'll be a CAW at the show. Just stop by Mike's Rack. (thumbs u

Or ask Ed where to find Mike's Rack. :P

If anyone local wants the con to be something it is not currently then bad-mouthing it here instead of supporting and talking to the promoter you'll never get the con you want. 2c