• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Early Amazing AZ Comic Con Thread

181 posts in this topic

There are so many points in this thread that it is hard to know where to start; however, that never stops me from trying.

There is a bit of the "chicken or the egg" in terms of more comic dealers in my opinion. As I mentioned, I have been exhibiting at both of these Cons from or close to their inceptions. In both instances, when they were in Mesa, there were plenty of California (and Harley) dealers who all brought nice books; however, their sales were so bad that most of them stopped coming or cut back on their presence. While I did well, I know that the number of buyers was not that good.

To me, this is the paradox as to which needs to happen first, more dealers or more buyers. What I have seen each year are attendees that seem to be more interested in browsing or talking but when asked what they are looking for, the answer is more often than not "oh, I am just looking or nothing really". I also ask for want lists for these Cons as well as Long Beach with the commitment that I will pull books for anyone before the show. In roughly, 25 Cons over 8 years, I have maybe had 6-8 replies and those are for a handful of books at best.

Finally, I bring some very nice books to these shows that, as a life-long collector, I would appreciate seeing and most are at very reasonable prices (but almost always still willing to discount further). For this Con, I will have three booths (Mike will have the fourth) that will be crammed with books at all prices ranges, genres, and age categories. I am still sorting but plan to have 50 LBs of $1 Bronze and Copper, 12-15 LBs of $2 same with a little SA; 8-10 LBs of $5 & 10; 15-20 sets and runs of SA to Moderns and 20-25 priced and half priced mostly SA and Bronze with some GA. I will also have 4-5 CGC boxes full of nice graded books and 5-7 GA-BA priced at $75 to approximately $700 each. My best CGC books will be FF1-6.0, ASM 1- 5.0, DD 1- 5.0, IM 1 -9.2 & 6.5; GSX 1- 9.4; X-men 94- 9.0, ASM 2- 8.0 but I have many others as well.

My point is that there will be lots of nice books at the show whether there are a few dealers or many. Whether they return or not is largely dependent on how their sales go. Perhaps the way to get more dealers at the shows is to have the word get out that Phoenix is a great location to sell books by attending and purchasing from the dealers who will be here in 2014. I have talked to many collectors who attend the really big shows (San Diego, Chicago, New York, and Baltimore to name a few) stating there are great books everywhere but the prices are too high.

The reality is that there is no perfect world, especially when it comes to comics, but this one is mine (and the other dealers who exhibit) for now so help me (us) make it work for you so these Cons flourish for years to come.

Sorry for the long rant, but there are many cities that would love to have one Con to attend and we have two pretty good ones right here. Now get busy and send Mike and me your want lists and buy tickets to Amazing ComicCon (and Phoenix Con in June)! :headbang:

Ed

FF 1 ? I need a new one. I miss my old one terribly.

I know Ken at Drawn to Comics has one that he is hiding and might sell and All About Books and Comics seems to have a vault with everything.

I know Ed has one he is displaying and will sell :baiting:

BTW what's the deal with AAB&C? For years they never had anything and then all of a sudden the last 2-3 times I have stopped in they have dozens of good books?

Typically, they are consignment books but maybe Allan bought a collection. (shrug). Is his book graded? I have seen Ken's copy which is pretty low grade but more affordable than mine for sure.

As of now there isn't any talent I care to see there. so the day doesn't matter. I will have the girls tagging along with me. Sophie is actually excited she loves going to cons

Hey Brian :hi: long time no see. I haven't met your brother but make sure you guys come by and introduce him. Let me know if you guys are looking for anything specific and I'll see what I have. Are your kids into anything? I'm going to try to bring more kids books this year. Have you picked up any more painted magazine covers?

Will do. I only have 5 magazine covers and a Twilight Zone painted cover along with a few other things. No seems to want to cut their covers loose. My youngest likes Wonder Woman and other girly books. I mainly want to see your BA Marvel mags.

I'm an oddball because I do not collect Superhero comics. I am always on the lookup for Gold Keys (painted cover books like Magnus, Solar, Turok, Dagar, Tragg, Dr. Spektor, etc.) I also look for Star Wars, Star Trek, Kamandi, Micronauts, Rom, other science fiction titles, monster books (usually based the main gang - Dracula, Mummy, Wolfman, Frankenstein), Charlton horror titles, Dell horror titles, etc. I do Silver Age, Bronze Age, Copper Age, and Modern. I'm also picky about grade and cheap! :grin: A good con for me would be one I spend $200 - $300 at. The last Arizona con I attended found me spending more for the entrance fee (myself and my son) than I did on comics. :( I do remember picking up some comics from Ed (the highlight of the con) and I think that is the con I found someone blowing out early Marvel Star Wars comics for $1.00 each. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived, there wasn't much left. :(

My daughter will be looking for Archies in the dollar bins and my son will be looking for Groo and Mad magazines in the dollar bins.

As of now there isn't any talent I care to see there. so the day doesn't matter. I will have the girls tagging along with me. Sophie is actually excited she loves going to cons

Hey Brian :hi: long time no see. I haven't met your brother but make sure you guys come by and introduce him. Let me know if you guys are looking for anything specific and I'll see what I have. Are your kids into anything? I'm going to try to bring more kids books this year. Have you picked up any more painted magazine covers?

Will do. I only have 5 magazine covers and a Twilight Zone painted cover along with a few other things. No seems to want to cut their covers loose. My youngest likes Wonder Woman and other girly books. I mainly want to see your BA Marvel mags.

I'm an oddball because I do not collect Superhero comics. I am always on the lookup for Gold Keys (painted cover books like Magnus, Solar, Turok, Dagar, Tragg, Dr. Spektor, etc.) I also look for Star Wars, Star Trek, Kamandi, Micronauts, Rom, other science fiction titles, monster books (usually based the main gang - Dracula, Mummy, Wolfman, Frankenstein), Charlton horror titles, Dell horror titles, etc. I do Silver Age, Bronze Age, Copper Age, and Modern. I'm also picky about grade and cheap! :grin: A good con for me would be one I spend $200 - $300 at. The last Arizona con I attended found me spending more for the entrance fee (myself and my son) than I did on comics. :( I do remember picking up some comics from Ed (the highlight of the con) and I think that is the con I found someone blowing out early Marvel Star Wars comics for $1.00 each. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived, there wasn't much left. :(

My daughter will be looking for Archies in the dollar bins and my son will be looking for Groo and Mad magazines in the dollar bins.

I will have a lot of Micronauts, Staw Wars and Archies in the dollar boxes. I also picked up a nice collection that has maybe 150-200 pre code Horror (no Atlas left) books that start as low as $10 with most below $100.

Mike should have the Mads and I may have some Groo as well.

I'll be sure to bring some of that stuff (thumbs u

Brian, if you want, send me a want list of the Marvel mags. I don't usually bring many to cons because they aren't as appreciated by the unrefined comic pallet of the average congoer :preach:

Brian, if you want, send me a want list of the Marvel mags. I don't usually bring many to cons because they aren't as appreciated by the unrefined comic pallet of the average congoer :preach:

Thanks, I have full runs on a few of them . Looking for nice copies of Vampire Tales, Marvel Super Special 10 (I see them just haven't grabbed a nice one yet ) Some on the Monsters Unleashed. Some of the Non Starlord Marvel Previews (I have the others)

Ed That 9.5 chances out of 10 your FF 1 is out of my current price range. :cry:

Thanks, I have full runs on a few of them . Looking for nice copies of Vampire Tales, Marvel Super Special 10 (I see them just haven't grabbed a nice one yet ) Some on the Monsters Unleashed. Some of the Non Starlord Marvel Previews (I have the others)

Well, it is a lot less than the 7.0 currently for sale but not cheap. I will send you a PM.

I know Mike has

Marvel Preview 19,18,14,15,13

Marvel Super special 20, 24,29,15,19,14,12,10,11,8,6,3,2,31,32,30,29,26,13

Do any of those interest you? I'll make sure he brings them. ;)

Sounds good. :)

I get there a few hours before the show and fly out around noon or so Mondayi believe. I assume the 2 passes and a bunch of books for SS will be ready to go? ;)

Believe me I'd like to stay longer. I'd miss my kids but Arizona in January is much better than Toronto. I already have a few inches of snow here and blizzard like conditions.