• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Early Amazing AZ Comic Con Thread

181 posts in this topic

So, how is the comic dealer attendance at these Amazing AZ Comic Cons? I know I skipped the Phoenix Comic Con last year because the number of dealers the year before could be counted on both hands. I would be willing to give this con a try if I thought there was an opportunity for me to spend a day looking at (and buying) just comic books instead of toys and other genre related items. I think it took me all of 3 hours to look through all the comic dealers booths (Ed's booth was the highlight of the con) at the last con I attended, which was a huge disappointment.

As far as dealers of comics from this area the majority of the ones I know are not getting tables this year. The cost of the tables are too much for them to justify it. I can say this though alot of them are sponsoring room parties at the Marriott in place of that.

Well, that is discouraging, but I appreciate the information. It sounds like I need to save my money this year for a trip to an out of state con again. It stinks that Arizona hosts 2 cons and neither have enough comic dealers to make it worthwhile to attend.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I picked up a nice 1940s-60s collection in September that has over 100 Horror comics and a nice group of All-Star, Detective, Superman and others. Sales were brisk at Long Beach even with Harley, Terry O'Neill and several other good CA dealers. It all depends on what each buyer is looking for. You can go to a large Con but then what I hear is "lots of nice books but way overpriced".

I can say that if Phoenix want to have local Cons, then they need to support them or they will definitely have to fly to other states at some point. It was not that long ago that there were no Cons in Phoenix. Just saying.

There have been local cons for years here. The problem is what I call the old guard got set in their ways and didn't want to change with the times. My guess is Amazing Arizona will do 25,000 people this year moving into to downtown phoenix, but Jimmy really needs a crew in this town to get him to the next step and have this run like a functioning con.

I moved out here in 2002 and attended the original Phoenix Con when it was held at the Glendale Community or Civic Center, whatever it is called. It was similar to a Holiday Inn Comic show with hardly any nice books and very few sellers (some were dealers but not all). The show moved to Mesa the next year and gradually grew into the Con that drew 55,000 attendees last year. From 2002 until I think four years ago when the Amazing Con took over Mesa (when Matt moved to downtown), I am not aware of any other comic shows of any type during that entire time. I would have loved to have attended any of these other comic shows had I heard about them. I am not trying to be argumentative, but where were these shows and who promoted them?

So, how is the comic dealer attendance at these Amazing AZ Comic Cons? I know I skipped the Phoenix Comic Con last year because the number of dealers the year before could be counted on both hands. I would be willing to give this con a try if I thought there was an opportunity for me to spend a day looking at (and buying) just comic books instead of toys and other genre related items. I think it took me all of 3 hours to look through all the comic dealers booths (Ed's booth was the highlight of the con) at the last con I attended, which was a huge disappointment.

As far as dealers of comics from this area the majority of the ones I know are not getting tables this year. The cost of the tables are too much for them to justify it. I can say this though alot of them are sponsoring room parties at the Marriott in place of that.

Well, that is discouraging, but I appreciate the information. It sounds like I need to save my money this year for a trip to an out of state con again. It stinks that Arizona hosts 2 cons and neither have enough comic dealers to make it worthwhile to attend.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I picked up a nice 1940s-60s collection in September that has over 100 Horror comics and a nice group of All-Star, Detective, Superman and others. Sales were brisk at Long Beach even with Harley, Terry O'Neill and several other good CA dealers. It all depends on what each buyer is looking for. You can go to a large Con but then what I hear is "lots of nice books but way overpriced".

I can say that if Phoenix want to have local Cons, then they need to support them or they will definitely have to fly to other states at some point. It was not that long ago that there were no Cons in Phoenix. Just saying.

There have been local cons for years here. The problem is what I call the old guard got set in their ways and didn't want to change with the times. My guess is Amazing Arizona will do 25,000 people this year moving into to downtown phoenix, but Jimmy really needs a crew in this town to get him to the next step and have this run like a functioning con.

I moved out here in 2002 and attended the original Phoenix Con when it was held at the Glendale Community or Civic Center, whatever it is called. It was similar to a Holiday Inn Comic show with hardly any nice books and very few sellers (some were dealers but not all). The show moved to Mesa the next year and gradually grew into the Con that drew 55,000 attendees last year. From 2002 until I think four years ago when the Amazing Con took over Mesa (when Matt moved to downtown), I am not aware of any other comic shows of any type during that entire time. I would have loved to have attended any of these other comic shows had I heard about them. I am not trying to be argumentative, but where were these shows and who promoted them?

Leprecon has an art focus to it and has been going for over 30 years. It is an all volunteer organization in which people could of gone to. www.leprecon.org

Leprecon has an art focus to it and has been going for over 30 years. It is an all volunteer organization in which people could of gone to. www.leprecon.org

So how many comic dealers exhibit? I was not aware of this one but it sounds like more Sci-fi/Fantasy.

Usually they get one a year there based on who the artist is, but it is more sci fi/fantasy con. If there was a strong enough push though it could have evolved into more of a Comic Con.

Thanks. I think the bottom line is that comic collectors in Phoenix should support the two shows they have before they are gone.

Usually they get one a year there based on who the artist is, but it is more sci fi/fantasy con. If there was a strong enough push though it could have evolved into more of a Comic Con.

Thanks. I think the bottom line is that comic collectors in Phoenix should support the two shows they have before they are gone.

We are in no danger of losing Phoenix Comic Con or Amazing Arizona Comic Con. Both cons have no problem selling out their dealer's tables and have no problem getting attendance now. Heck they are at the point word of mouth sells the con. I believe in supporting the smaller cons because of the one on one time you can actually get with the talent. Also the more attendance the smaller cons get the more talent they can bring in. Phoenix can support 4 big cons a year and there is room for two more.

The danger is not in losing the cons but in having the cons evolve into pop culture fests. Arizona Con is a good con for comic collectors. This is a full on mid sized con Last year there was Ed, Harley Yee in the flesh, Torpedo comics, two other dealers that I cannot recall, Angelo, four other dealers with back issues and me. I spent around $2,000 on books and I'm a cheap mofo.

The problem that I see is that the promoters don't announce the guest well enough in advance (I assume that more guests will be coming). This was the case last year as well. It really helps me to know who is coming because need time to stock up on books for SS. I emailed someone from the con website and never got a response.

The danger is not in losing the cons but in having the cons evolve into pop culture fests. Arizona Con is a good con for comic collectors. This is a full on mid sized con Last year there was Ed, Harley Yee in the flesh, Torpedo comics, two other dealers that I cannot recall, Angelo, four other dealers with back issues and me. I spent around $2,000 on books and I'm a cheap mofo.

The problem that I see is that the promoters don't announce the guest well enough in advance (I assume that more guests will be coming). This was the case last year as well. It really helps me to know who is coming because need time to stock up on books for SS. I emailed someone from the con website and never got a response.

That is my problem as a person who goes to a con I like to know who the guest list is in advance so I can order my commissions and possibly get a few books to get signed if I want that one special piece. When you announce late I can't get on some of the commission lists for artists and it limits me. I spend nearly 4 to 5 grand every Phoenix Comic Con in the instance of Amazing Arizona I will be lucky to spend 500 in the dealers room because they don't give enough advance notice.

Goldeneye- hmm- this seems like news to me.

Our dealer list of comics has actually grown with several 1st time comic book dealers at the upcoming 2014 Amazing Comic Con- at current count there are at least 12 1st time AZ booths WITH comics. With the exception of a single booth dealer, nearly all are accounted for from last year's event...

Haven't heard anything of an Alterna-Con going-

(wasn't that a Veronica Mars episode?)

However you split hairs though, there should be more comics in the room for sale, from SIlver to the Present Day then compared to 2013.

Hope this helps-

Jimmy...

Mike-

we're working on more names. Keep checking the site.

More A-Listers. More Established Pros. Some big time MONSTER names.

When deals are finalized, we will announce.

As for Advanced names- we tried to get Kirkman's name out last May, and Geoff Johns by the end of Summer. We're still working until the day the convention opens.

Jimmy

If anyone local wants the con to be something it is not currently then bad-mouthing it here instead of supporting and talking to the promoter you'll never get the con you want. 2c

First of all, I don't think I was badmouthing the con. I was asking about the number of comic dealers so I know if it will be worth my time to attend or not. Someone responded that anecdotally they knew of several dealers that will not be attending due to high table prices.

If the con organizers have different information concerning the number of comic dealers, then I think they should let it be known. This has been an ongoing concern with the Phoenix cons for years for comic collectors. Too many cosplayers, too many dealer booths with toys, genre trinkets, etc., and not enough comic dealers. I can overlook the cosplayers and other booths if there are enough comic dealers attending.

I'd love to support a local comic convention. It's the job of the con organizers to communicate who is going to be setting up tables and to sell me on attending.

Goldeneye- hmm- this seems like news to me.

Our dealer list of comics has actually grown with several 1st time comic book dealers at the upcoming 2014 Amazing Comic Con- at current count there are at least 12 1st time AZ booths WITH comics. With the exception of a single booth dealer, nearly all are accounted for from last year's event...

Haven't heard anything of an Alterna-Con going-

(wasn't that a Veronica Mars episode?)

However you split hairs though, there should be more comics in the room for sale, from SIlver to the Present Day then compared to 2013.

Hope this helps-

Jimmy...

Jimmy I appreciate your responding here. So, there will be over 12 dealers with comics this year? Do you have a rough number of total comic dealers. 20 or more?

This is definitely good news and now I'm actually excited to be attending if true.

I also remember attending the early cons out in Mesa. It was more a toy show than a comic show if I recall.

We should finish with 50 booths full of COMIC BOOKS right now. that's a good start. More site updates coming soon.

Okay. Sold. (thumbs u

Now I just need to find out if one or both my kids will be attending. Brian, what about you? Want to go with me this year?

Currently well over 12, should finish over 20.

Lots of comic book dealers, with comic books.

We have a healthy number of publishers with an official appearance at the con too, occupying a greater section of the floor than last year.

ANd a good amount of creators who opted for full Publisher Press booths rather than just AA Tables. Of course we have about 175-200 AA Tables for creators, which is more than 50 compared to last year.

The Focus of our convention is COMIC BOOKS and COMIC CREATORS- which seems kind of novel concept when discussing modern comic conventions vs the more plentiful pop culture con.

I'm extremely enthusiastic about the product we are presenting this year. And ultimately i hope the fans who attend will be too.

best-

Jimmy...

If anyone local wants the con to be something it is not currently then bad-mouthing it here instead of supporting and talking to the promoter you'll never get the con you want. 2c

First of all, I don't think I was badmouthing the con. I was asking about the number of comic dealers so I know if it will be worth my time to attend or not. Someone responded that anecdotally they knew of several dealers that will not be attending due to high table prices.

If the con organizers have different information concerning the number of comic dealers, then I think they should let it be known. This has been an ongoing concern with the Phoenix cons for years for comic collectors. Too many cosplayers, too many dealer booths with toys, genre trinkets, etc., and not enough comic dealers. I can overlook the cosplayers and other booths if there are enough comic dealers attending.

I'd love to support a local comic convention. It's the job of the con organizers to communicate who is going to be setting up tables and to sell me on attending.

My comment was not directed at anyone in particular. (shrug)

That is my problem as a person who goes to a con I like to know who the guest list is in advance so I can order my commissions and possibly get a few books to get signed if I want that one special piece. When you announce late I can't get on some of the commission lists for artists and it limits me. I spend nearly 4 to 5 grand every Phoenix Comic Con in the instance of Amazing Arizona I will be lucky to spend 500 in the dealers room because they don't give enough advance notice.

Considering Calgary is sold out of the 1st batch of tickets and they have only announced Bruce Campbell you should consider yourself lucky. lol