• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I pay someone to grade my books? At least separate the wheat from the chaff?

12 posts in this topic

I live in NJ, not far from Rutgers in New Brunswick. I have bought comics since the mid eighties or so and now have 2 daughters with no interest in them. I would sell them in a minute, or at least most of them. (The comics, not the daughters.) But I have never been someone who was concerned with grades. And of course selling books is all about the grades, at least if you want to maximize your return.

My first plan was to sell raws in the VCC and build up a reputation and then let loose with the good stuff. That was a total failure. Then it occurred to me that someone might want to make a few bucks and tell me what is worth going to CGC and what is not. Or what the heck a 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 even is. I don't want to learn for my future, I want to move the comics out the door.

Is this feasible? Am I a mo Ron? yes and yes? Should I just bust out the obvious ones (ASM 300, NM 98 etc) and scan both covers and ask for opinions here on the boards? What would you do? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

If your collection is '80s and up, get familiar with what the keys are and pull them.

Post them in the Grading forum.

Slab the keys. Burn the rest.

Where should I send my bill to?

Don't believe the hype on the tootsie pop, it's not 3. It only took me a big crunch with a hammer & I got to that center! As far as your books, try finding an honest shop owner that knows how to grade and will give you fair cut on the proceeds by consigning them.

I think jaybuck43 and I are gonna do some business, but I also took the advice and threw 3 books in the spare a grade forum - Daredevil 9, Doctor Strange 169, and ASM 300. Please hop over and give me your thoughts if you could.