• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW Chicago Con thoughts

36 posts in this topic

So, today on the 1st day of WW Chicago, the anticipated traffic problems with the con split between 2 floors didn’t seem to be a problem. Once you had your ticket, you could easily get wherever you wanted. At least, that was my experience.

Getting your ticket was a pain. I had a pre-paid VIP ticket and it took 45 minutes to get through the line. The regular pre-paid ticket line seemed to go faster. One dealer was buying the 2 Walking Dead exclusives that came with the VIP ticket for $5 each. Is that a fair price? I don’t collect this so I’m thinking of selling to him.

I went to this con in 2010 and 2011, but not last year. This year, the con seems huge, with it being on 2 floors. Not as big as SDCC, but still big. And there are a lot of people here.

I got a great sketch from Lisner on one of my last Gen13 blanks. These are getting really hard to find.

DSCN5012_zpsd2e2ecf9.jpg

I hate that WW makes you wear a bracelet the entire con, unlike other cons like SDCC where you wear a lanyard. First, the bracelet is uncomfortable. Second, it makes me feel like a geek when I re-enter the real world, like when I went to Gibons tonight.

Right after the con ended I ran back to my hotel room to check ebay and GPA on some books I’m thinking of buying. All the prices are significantly higher than GPA. For example, one dealer has Richie Rich 1 for twice the sales on GPA – so high that it’s not worth trying to negotiate (in my opinion). Made me think – not for the first time – whether cons are becoming dinosaurs for buying comics. I understand that dealers have travel and con costs, so they have to be more expensive that stuff on ebay. But why should I buy here, instead of just waiting for the next comiclink auction? Anyone else think this way?

There were a lot of costumes, but I stupidly left my camera in the room. But here’s some pics of my dinner at Gibsons.

Here's the Gibson manhattan:

DSCN5008_zps646a0716.jpg

The wedge:

DSCN5010_zps83dffcc7.jpg

And the half chicken and peppers:

DSCN5011_zps8b9514ef.jpg

Don't sell the VIP variant for $5.

If in good condition a boardie will pay more.

Edit: I meant this as a, help a boardie with their WD collection before selling it to a vendor who will price it over $50 at his booth

People were offering $5 for the VIP WD and asking double GPA on their books? Sounds like some great dealers were set up at this show. :eyeroll:

Keep the WDs. You can probably sell the pair for around $75-100.

Really? I better put these in mylar!

Ethan Van Schiver was selling them at his table for $50 for the sketch and $10 for the regular.

He has at least a box full of them

Did you get the Gen13 slabbed on site? Gorgeous! :applause:

I didn't -- these are not the highest graded copies so I didn't think worth it. Jamie Tyndall is also doing for me a Lady Mechanika on a Gen13 cover. I have 5 blank Gen13s left, getting hard to find.

The con opened at noon today. They let the VIPs in first, then everyone else. At most, the VIPs got in 30 minutes before anyone else. So again not sure if spending the extra $150 (or so) is worth it for a VIP ticket. But, the offer prices are going up on the Walking Dead comics that came with the VIP comics. One dealer is offering $35 for the b&w and $5 for the color.

I spent some time walking around artist avenue picking up the lithographs that came with the VIP ticket. I had low expectations for them (I guess I'm a pessimist), but they're pretty good. Here's the one from Arthur Suydam (sorry for the flash).

DSCN5035_zpsa6c61484.jpg

I got this from him too (bought the last one he had).

DSCN5036_zps25c736a5.jpg

Here’s my big buy, Superboy #1 in 5.5(sa). I got it for a fair price from Anthony Synder.

DSCN5031_zps21eadd0a.jpg

DSCN5029_zps691fe5a0.jpg

Also got this one from Greg Reece, who gave me a fair price (much less than the same grade on ebay etc. that I've been tracking for a couple of years).

DSCN5032_zpsf20f2d4b.jpg

The con opened at noon today. They let the VIPs in first, then everyone else. At most, the VIPs got in 30 minutes before anyone else. So again not sure if spending the extra $150 (or so) is worth it for a VIP ticket. But, the offer prices are going up on the Walking Dead comics that came with the VIP comics. One dealer is offering $35 for the b&w and $5 for the color.

I spent some time walking around artist avenue picking up the lithographs that came with the VIP ticket. I had low expectations for them (I guess I'm a pessimist), but they're pretty good. Here's the one from Arthur Suydam (sorry for the flash).

DSCN5035_zpsa6c61484.jpg

I got this from him too (bought the last one he had).

DSCN5036_zps25c736a5.jpg

Here’s my big buy, Superboy #1 in 5.5(sa). I got it for a fair price from Anthony Synder.

DSCN5031_zps21eadd0a.jpg

DSCN5029_zps691fe5a0.jpg

Also got this one from Greg Reece, who gave me a fair price (much less than the same grade on ebay etc. that I've been tracking for a couple of years).

DSCN5032_zpsf20f2d4b.jpg

Is that sticker in the bottom left on the CGC case ?

Did you get the Gen13 slabbed on site? Gorgeous! :applause:

I didn't -- these are not the highest graded copies so I didn't think worth it. Jamie Tyndall is also doing for me a Lady Mechanika on a Gen13 cover. I have 5 blank Gen13s left, getting hard to find.

Grades do not matter imo when it comes to blank covers and SS'ing.

But great sketch regardless.

Today was more crowded, as expected. The line to buy tickets snaked in triple deep queues all the way down the street. This was around 1, and I didn't think the people would get in until close to closing at 7pm. But when I next looked around 230 (when I went to drop stuff off at the hotel) the line was gone. Overall I think the staff did pretty well with the crowd, because the convention space is not that great for alot of people. For example, there's only 1 set of escalators/stairs. Apparently the fire marshall made Wizard open the doors on the 1st floor because of that, and some dealers on the 2nd floor were complaining that sales went down as soon as that happened.

The big news is an Amazing Fantasy 15 was stolen. The dealer had his set up against a curtain. There were no dealers on the other side of the curtain. This allowed the thief to snatch the book from behind the curtain. The book was restored in 7 or 7.5 and priced at about $9000. I know this for certain because I bought the ASM #1 7.0 (SP) that was sitting right next to it. When I went to make an offer I saw the AF15 gone and assumed someone had bought it.

The fact it was CGC'd would make it harder to sell, I guess. Unless the thief cracks it, but then it would lose some of its value. Ah well .... I forgot to ask the dealer if he had insurance ... I assume he did.

I also heard a rumor that an ASM #1 was stolen, but don't know if that is true.