• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Officially out of "new comic" collecting

20 posts in this topic

I could forsee this day coming but decided to act and make today the official first day I quit buying "new" modern comics off the store shelf. I cancelled my monthly comics today except for one-simpsons comics. Oh sure, i will continue to pursue graded comics from bronze or moderns, maybe even the tpb marvel essentials but after taking a long hard look at todays comics put out from marvel, i concluded: why bother

1. no one stays dead (this has never changed)

2. a total lack of going out on a limb for new stories and making waves (the 2000/2001 wave of innovation is over)

3. why do i feel like its 1995 all over again?

I could forsee this day coming but decided to act and make today the official first day I quit buying "new" modern comics off the store shelf. I cancelled my monthly comics today except for one-simpsons comics. Oh sure, i will continue to pursue graded comics from bronze or moderns, maybe even the tpb marvel essentials but after taking a long hard look at todays comics put out from marvel, i concluded: why bother

2. a total lack of going out on a limb for new stories and making waves (the 2000/2001 wave of innovation is over)

Congrats... 893applaud-thumb.gif Welcome to the club. I think you will find it is more fun this way.

Does this mean you are going to start dating girls, playing football and getting drunk on Friday night?

1. Fictional characters don't have to stay dead.

2. Debatable... since you mentioned Marvel I guess I'll sort of agree with you. I think they are going out of their way to make waves but they aren't going out on a limb to do it.

But Marvel is not the be all and end all of comics. There are lots of great comic books NOT published by Marvel.

3. There are similarities.

Might I direct you toward the fine books that DC is currently publishing on a monthly basis? grin.gif

Funny, 27_laughing.gif

No need to date, I am already married to a super beautiful woman who among her many talents, likes to drink, likes comics, and cried during spider-man 2. lol. Nope, DC is a great comic company, but marvel has always been my things. My extra $50 a month will go toward a-more cgc comics b-a vacatoin c-more intoxication

All kidding aside... I was playing on the old stereotype that kids quit comics when they hit puberty... what does your wife think? You mentioned she likes to read comics, were these just the Marvels you purchased or does she buy independantly?

I mean, I suppose if I looked at Marvel there are some bright spots. As people like to point out SHE-HULK is quite good (but that might not be to everyone's tastes as it is definitely over the top). I've actually been enjoying ASTONISHING X-MEN, and I am not a fan of the X-Men at all. It doesn't bother me at all that Colossus is back because so far, his return has been handled quite well.... FF by Waid and Wieringo can be good, MARVEL KNIGHTS 4 and MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN are excellent reads (but are better served by the tpb format). Ultimate books are also quite good but are specifically designed for tpbs. THE PULSE is another great read. DAREDEVIL is excellent. I kind of liked BLACK WIDOW... it's ginchy to see Bill S. drawing regular comics again. I'm looking forward to Ellis and Granov's IRON MAN. People have been digging THOR. Millar and Romita Jr's upcoming WOLVERINE arc looks pretty good.

she is a fan of marvel also. really liked x-statix like myself. likes simpsons comics. This is just a way to bow out and save ourselves a little dough on the side as well as just getting bored and not as impressed as we were a few years ago. I quit collecting all together in the mid 90's for about 7-8 years. Came back on 2000 buying new books then in 01 buying cgc as well. Now, i will just concentrate on my cgc and tpb's. maybe sneak a simpsons comic in as well

Thats a shame that you feel that way, but if you must you must.

I agree with what some of the others have said, there's some really cool comics coming out now (even from marvel)

The punisher has to be one of my favorite read's and I never cared for the character until his new series hit the stands.

You mentioned that you're a Marvel Zombie but why don't you try a more adult comic to get your head thinking - We3 & Y the last man thumbsup2.gif

I agree with what some of the others have said, there's some really cool comics coming out now (even from marvel)

The punisher has to be one of my favorite read's and I never cared for the character until his new series hit the stands.

You mentioned that you're a Marvel Zombie but why don't you try a more adult comic to get your head thinking - We3 & Y the last man thumbsup2.gif

Wasn't the cover to Punisher # 11 of Fin Cooley one of the COOLEST covers in recent memory? BTW: I counted 54 F words alone in that issue, is that some kinda record?

You know if you want to see characters die and stay dead... I've heard of a few. stooges.gif

Wasn't the cover to Punisher # 11 of Fin Cooley one of the COOLEST covers in recent memory? BTW: I counted 54 F words alone in that issue, is that some kinda record?

I think The Punisher is the last Marvel comic I read on a regular basis, and I love the Bradstreet covers. I think this series is telling the Punisher the way it is supposed to be told, gritty and dirty. To be honest, I don't even notice the swears, it just seems natural to me. I also think Castle himself is the least interesting character in the stories (basically just an emotionless killing machine) and Ennis almost has him on the periphery.

I think The Punisher is the last Marvel comic I read on a regular basis, and I love the Bradstreet covers. I think this series is telling the Punisher the way it is supposed to be told, gritty and dirty. To be honest, I don't even notice the swears, it just seems natural to me. I also think Castle himself is the least interesting character in the stories (basically just an emotionless killing machine) and Ennis almost has him on the periphery.

Don't want to hijack this thread and change it into a "Punisher Rock's" one but it's one of the best comics out there today.

I love the way the Frank hardly say's anything and doesn't do much (apart from killing) whilst the supporting characters are some of the funniest crazy mo foe's you'll ever see.

So far we've had nutty Mafia,looney Irish terrorist's and next will be crazy Russian's. screwy.gif

If you've stopped reading Marvel, please do yourself a favour and pick this book up.