• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

29 posts in this topic

My LCS was handing out free cd-rom that had links to 4 Sky Captain trailer previews as well as to downloadable screen savers. Almost downloaded the close up of Angelina Jolie's face w/ the eye patch.

*** SOME SPOILERS *****

Weakness of the film was that Jolie had little screen time so was hard to establish romantic tension w/ Jude Law.

Sky Captain borrowed from every possible film: Lois Lane, Metropolis the b/w dystopian movie, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Flash Gordon, martial arts, Raiders Lost Ark, Star Wars/Yoda. The only thing they didn't have was a bullet speed slo-mo effect from Matrix.

The film refers to comics & pulps a few times. thumbsup2.gif

I saw it on the 1st weekend. Would give it 6.5 /10 on the entertainment scale. Too derivitive for my tastes, but others will love it for the 1940s b/w tributes. Techno geeks will love the hi-flying & underwater scenes. Best to see it on the BIG screen as the background scenes are quite dark. Would look a little muddy on dvd. crazy.gif

I saw it on Saturday and found it to be quite entertaining. I can see how some people won't like it since it is done in a fanciful way reminiscant of the old Flash Gordon serials with Buster Crabbe.

The look and feel of the movie is that of a science fiction pulp and it is a very artistic movie that should garnish a nomination if not an oscar for technical achievement.

My only disappointent was the Bai Ling character...I thought she would be more powerful...but the disappointment was only due to my high expectations of the character. Besides...Angelina Jolie's character more than made up for it... grin.gif

ArAich gives it 3 1/2 stars.... thumbsup2.gif

Thought it was among the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Story's a bit slack, but it's all in all very entertaining with bonus points for being a true movie original.

Also, the entertainment writer where I work interviewed Kerry Conran, the director, is in his late 30s and a long-time comic book fan.

I rented Sky Captain on DVD this week.

Great movie! Very retro and a very well done! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Agreed. Saw it on a plane 2 weeks ago. Great art deco sets, very Flash Gordon. A little too much melodrama in some places, but a great tip-of-the-hat to the serials of yesteryear.

Highly recommended for nostalgia buffs.

Though I'm interested to find out what kids thought of it. Was it too cheesy for them or did they like its style? Did board members who took their kids to it get a good reaction???

Ugh! I thought it was a horrendous movie! It was pretty to look at but the acting was embarrassingly bad. Sky Captain made Van Helsing look like an Oscar candidate. Only Catwoman was worse this last summer...

Jim

Ugh! I thought it was a horrendous movie! It was pretty to look at but the acting was embarrassingly bad. Sky Captain made Van Helsing look like an Oscar candidate. Only Catwoman was worse this summer...

Jim

I there anything that you do like, Mr. Negative?! 893blahblah.gif

Ugh! I thought it was a horrendous movie! It was pretty to look at but the acting was embarrassingly bad. Sky Captain made Van Helsing look like an Oscar candidate. Only Catwoman was worse this summer...

Jim

I there anything that you do like, Mr. Negative?! 893blahblah.gif

Hey don't cry because I didn't like your [#@$%!!!] movie.

And I'm positive about lot of topics around here...don't dwell on only the negatives. I guess the movies I talked highly about in the AvP thread don't count, huh... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I rented the DVD and within 10 minutes I was hoping that Gwyneth Paltrow's

character would die a grisly death. I'm sure that was the intent of the writing,

but isn't it a bit strange to cause the audience to hope for the death of a main character/hero?