• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grahamcrakers comics

158 posts in this topic

I think it's too difficult to determine based on feedback from the forum if you should or not deal with someone. So many of the for and against can be political or personal. I've never met or purchased from Graham . I live In Chicago and I'm not a big fan if his shops but frankly most LCS disappoint. I figure if he's been in business this long he's got to be doing something right, I'd probably weigh that heavily in my decision to buy from him or not. If the deal is good then I would go for it.

However I'm a small time collector compared to some of the other folks that have commented already.

So with the feedback so far, is this a situation where GCC at shows is a solid experience (and very well liked), but mail-order is where there is a chance for a different experience?

It just seems like if you are a regular at shows, there are those that will rush to block out any negative mentioned because old {fill in the name here} could never be involved in a less than 100% positive transaction.

Leroy,

I only scare you because I get the seconds/thirds.

Admit that Dale is your favorite.

Crazy Ed is my favorite. Bob Storms is 2.7th.

I walked by Ed's booth just as he was lecturing some 13 year old on Bob McLeod or some such.

Good for Ed. More 13 year olds should be lectured about Bob Mcleod.

Only if you are trying to drive them out of the hobby. Anything Crazy Ed goes on about is bound to have the opposite reaction as was intended.

Overheard coming out of Ed's mouth at Heroes this year:

"I know $300 seems pricey, but if you're going to spend $300 on a single book at this show I would make sure it was this book. Its not going to be here for very long at that price."

Response from potential customer:

"I just don't feel comfortable paying $300 for a comic that was just pulled out of a tupperware container."

Monday, post ww Chicago con, my family and I were sightseeing in downtown Chicago....

we were on a bus when my wife said "look, there's a comic store, and its one of jamies".... so, we hopped off the bus, and took a little peek...

gcrackers_zpsa90bbcb6.jpg

Monday, post ww Chicago con, my family and I were sightseeing in downtown Chicago....

we were on a bus when my wife said "look, there's a comic store, and its one of jamies".... so, we hopped off the bus, and took a little peek...

gcrackers_zpsa90bbcb6.jpg

:applause:

My overall impressions of GrahamCracker Comics is positive.

At shows, key books are way over-priced -- that's my perception. It dissuades me from countering, so I don't bother. On non-keys, however, I think the prices are fair and I have purchased from them before. I also think their grading on raw books is reasonable.

Not directed at anyone personally, and I know this is an entire sub-thread to itself (we've had the discussion many times) but high prices alone shouldn't deter anyone from approaching a booth.

Many times, if there's a book I'm interested in I'd politely point out that I'm interested in a book but wonder if the seller would consider an offer. If they say yes, I explain my offer (why I'm offering that price - generally back it up with some real world data like GPA, Overstreet, etc) and then listen to hear what the person says.

Most of the time, they're reasonable and we meet somewhere on reasonable ground.

If they're unreasonable, then that's a reason to avoid them next time.

Most buyers low ball and for that reason, and it's because I've come to expect it thta I set my prices slightly higher.

Most sellers will overprice their books to some degree for the reason that they can always go down, but they can't go up after you've seen the price.

I never price books because of lowballers. I price a book for what I think it can sell for based on years of experience.

I don't throw a seller out the window just because a certain batch of books are priced unreasonably. Some people are emotionally attached to certain genres or just don't see enough books to know what everything sells for.

Either way I generally give them a few shots before I give them up.

I sell books based on what I sold them for in the past. GPA doesn't report the transactions that I have made, so the while GPA is a great tool, it doesn't reflect every transaction on every book that has been graded.

Many times, if there's a book I'm interested in I'd politely point out that I'm interested in a book but wonder if the seller would consider an offer. If they say yes, I explain my offer (why I'm offering that price - generally back it up with some real world data like GPA, Overstreet, etc) and then listen to hear what the person says.

I like this approach. It lets you justify your offer, and gauge how reasonable the other party is.

I sell books based on what I sold them for in the past. GPA doesn't report the transactions that I have made, so the while GPA is a great tool, it doesn't reflect every transaction on every book that has been graded.

That's a great point.

For many seasoned sellers who frequent national shows they may have their own experiences buying and selling. What moves for them and at what prices is bound to have a great influence on pricing.

I like this approach. It lets you justify your offer, and gauge how reasonable the other party is.

Amen to that!

Amen to that!

It doesn't always work, mostly because it relies on a seller willing to listen/hear your side of things.

But it is the only approach I have ever used, and is far more polite/courteous from the perspective that the person better understand how you base your offer rather than just throwing out a number.

Amen to that!

It doesn't always work, mostly because it relies on a seller willing to listen/hear your side of things.

But it is the only approach I have ever used, and is far more polite/courteous from the perspective that the person better understand how you base your offer rather than just throwing out a number.

Can't disagree that Roy & cw's way is the preferred and best way. Don't be an obnoxious offer-maker. :)