• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AUGUST COMIC LINK AUCTION

156 posts in this topic

Same with the Buscema unpublished Surfer cover. $24,000. No late bids

Totally unsurprised about both. Just one person (possibly the same person) willing to trip the reserve on both lots.

Speaking of tripping reserves, I'm glad someone walked away with this.

RAD512B3201363_134254.jpg

That was issue #1 and 10K reserve selling price is a steal. I saw the cover at the SDCC and it was very impressive in real life.

I also like the FF1 prototype monster page which sold for 16K, it looks like he swiped it for FF1( page was done six months earlier) and then released the story one year later. That page in person was simply stunning....best Kirby splash I have ever seen in person.

But the best buy in the auction was the wally wood plate 1 original art from weird sex fantasy.....what a piece.....I was very surprised by the 8k sale price which was the reserve price, content wise it was zero gravity lovemaking is just plan fun.

If you examine the listing, they indicate it is a FF1 prototype. The art was created six months before FF1....Kirby decided to use that image in the cover of FF1 and the story was not published, then one year later then used it.

This page has the potential to be only existing link to FF1 cover and story, since the art has been missing for a long time.

If FF1 cover hit the market today, it would bring a million dollars, this page is worth at least 25K to 50K based on its history. 16k was and IS a steal on this.

it is clear this was a swipe from this image to the cover of FF1

Oh Mitch. I read the description weeks ago and I laughed my azz off. Come on man, think for yourself. A passing resemblance to the FF1 monster doesn't count for much - many of the monsters looked roughly similar.

Here is the description. Anyone that can read between the lines can understand that they are falling WELL WELL short of calling it an FF1 prototype. If you consider that a FF1 prototype then no offense but you are not distinguishing between the legit prototypes and the BS ones.

We also notice a striking similarity between the pose of the monster on this splash page and the pose of the monster on that premiere issue, the first rising from the flames, the latter rising from the depths of the earth (for comparison's sake, an image of FF #1 is included below).

Whether the aformentioned resemblance is significant or not

That last line is the auction house even basically saying "Jeez we'd like this to be the FF1 monster but can't tell that big a fib, bid big anyway will ya?"

If you think that splash is worth 50k then you don't have a clue.

In summary

1) they are BIG TIME stretching things to call it the same pose -its not!

2) it has freaking nothing to do with FF1

3) even they admit, if you read between the lines.

I'm just :facepalm: ing that you could read that description and come to the conclusions in your post.

Kirby used the monster with one outstretched hand cover and/or splash composition THREE TIMES THAT MONTH ALONE (that I know of, for all I know there's more, I haven't checked the splashes).

This splash is Jan 61 according to the margin. Here are two covers which according to the white mountain arrival dates arrived on the same day, despite one being Jan 61 and one being Dec 60. Point is, that pose, for whatever reason, was kirby's favorite pose that month. I guess they are all FF1 prototypes :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

str1.2077a.jpg

817061.jpg

There was more info than you posted, of course they have to cover there asssses but.....this looks legit, 50 or maybe 35K.....the problem is tracing it back, maybe stan lee would know??? and how about that wally wood? what is your take....

There was more info than you posted, of course they have to cover there asssses but.....this looks legit, 50 or maybe 35K.....the problem is tracing it back, maybe stan lee would know??? and how about that wally wood? what is your take....

Not really. Here's the full description. My take above.

This full page title splash for the story entitled, "I Dream of Doom," was published in May of 1962, just two months prior to Kirby's introduction of none other than Dr. Doom! Though it was published in May of 1962, the date on the page is January, 1961. If that was correct, then it predates the release of Fantastic Four #1 by 10 months. We also notice a striking similarity between the pose of the monster on this splash page and the pose of the monster on that premiere issue, the first rising from the flames, the latter rising from the depths of the earth (for comparison's sake, an image of FF #1 is included below).

Whether the aformentioned resemblance is significant or not, what is undeniable is that this is a hard hitting yet intricately detailed monster splash from a significant time period by Jack "The King" Kirby! Kirby's trademark was not only to present the reader with a magnificent image, but he also had an unrivaled flair for enigmatically appealing to the reader's curiosity from the very first pulse pounding page. This is a primetime piece for lovers of this genre. Full page monster splashes by Kirby that are this good rarely come up for public auction or for sale anywhere, as material of this type is typically considered too good to let go! This large art splash has an image area of approximately 12" x 18". This is actually one of two roller-coaster themed Kirby pages in this auction, the other being a final page from a story from the Tales of Suspense run.

Thanks Alex.

You are welcome.

I tried to find your composite for my post, but I find the search function for these boards totally useless. I went to advanced search, put in "Kirby Severin cover Skull Slayer" and got four pages of results, many of which didn't, as far as I could find, feature ANY of those terms. Anybody got any tips?

Yeah, it's hard to search these boards. No advice there.

I assume that you know you can click the above to go to my CAF post, right?

They lost me at the first line when they tried to make it sound like an FF5 tie in just because of the word "Doom" in the title :facepalm:

+1, hucksterism at it's best. Don't be too caught off by Mitch's inability to separate fact from fiction.

This full page title splash for the story entitled, "I Dream of Doom," was published in May of 1962, just two months prior to Kirby's introduction of none other than Dr. Doom! Though it was published in May of 1962, the date on the page is January, 1961. If that was correct, then it predates the release of Fantastic Four #1 by 10 months. We also notice a striking similarity between the pose of the monster on this splash page and the pose of the monster on that premiere issue, the first rising from the flames, the latter rising from the depths of the earth (for comparison's sake, an image of FF #1 is included below).

Whether the aformentioned resemblance is significant or not, what is undeniable is that this is a hard hitting yet intricately detailed monster splash from a significant time period by Jack "The King" Kirby! Kirby's trademark was not only to present the reader with a magnificent image, but he also had an unrivaled flair for enigmatically appealing to the reader's curiosity from the very first pulse pounding page. This is a primetime piece for lovers of this genre. Full page monster splashes by Kirby that are this good rarely come up for public auction or for sale anywhere, as material of this type is typically considered too good to let go! This large art splash has an image area of approximately 12" x 18". This is actually one of two roller-coaster themed Kirby pages in this auction, the other being a final page from a story from the Tales of Suspense run.

If you don't think this piece is worth 50K or 35K what value do you put on it...look at the cover and FF1 it does look related to me.

If you don't think this piece is worth 50K or 35K what value do you put on it...look at the cover and FF1 it does look related to me.

Looks nothing like the cover to FF1, I would put the value at $16,250.

I thought $54,000 for the Ditko Spidey page really high. Spider-Man in most of the panels is either poorly drawn with little detail or placed in bad angles were you see the top of him or his backside. Really strong price IMO.

Pfft that value is so literally yesterday. Clearly it's worth 40k :eyeroll:

To be honest I thought 16 was a strong result. Prehero splashes at public auction never really went above ten (when they met reserve) until the auction before this one. Maybe 15 is the new 10, but I'm awfully confident that its not 40 or 50.

Not to say that outstanding ones couldn't get that privately but IMO this is "nice" not outstanding

Totally unsurprised about both. Just one person (possibly the same person) willing to trip the reserve on both lots.

But the best buy in the auction was the wally wood plate 1 original art from weird sex fantasy.....what a piece.....I was very surprised by the 8k sale price which was the reserve price, content wise it was zero gravity lovemaking is just plan fun.

I owned all of those Weird Sex portfolio paintings back in the late 80's. Most of them aren't signed by Wood, and you can see why. I'm sure Wood had a hand in creating them to some extent, but his assistants actually did the work.

MI

I owned all of those Weird Sex portfolio paintings back in the late 80's. Most of them aren't signed by Wood, and you can see why. I'm sure Wood had a hand in creating them to some extent, but his assistants actually did the work.

MI

Was that the best one of the lot???, The girl looks like wood did it, what do think about the 8K sales price

MI

Thanks for that insight, Mitch. I always wondered how much Wood had to do with those. They're fun...and a little depressing.

3K for the Star Wars #37 page. WOWZAs Joe you are a genius for buying that cover at 2.2x that price.

That one might be a little bit of an outlier. I was the underbidder on that one.

I've always wanted a US SW Infantino page and ID'd that one as a nice example of the stuff I like, but family obligations required I be away from my computer the evening of the auction ending. I simply put in a SuperBid I could live with, and walked away. We've all been there.

Apparently the winner REALLY wanted the page. (shrug)

At that price he is VERY much welcome to it. Other SW pages may come up, but not all of them are of interest to me. I may bid up in future, I may not.

Andrew

>snip>

If you consider that a FF1 prototype then no offense but you are not distinguishing between the legit prototypes and the BS ones.

With you 100% Bronty, except for this odd notion of "legit prototypes". Which ones are those? (shrug)

MI

Thanks for that insight, Mitch. I always wondered how much Wood had to do with those. They're fun...and a little depressing.

Plus one on that sentiment. All of Wood's erotica has an undercurrent of pain to me. When Cannon strips come up for sale I always admire them and I'm never tempted to bid on them...