• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AUGUST COMIC LINK AUCTION

156 posts in this topic

I conducted a little experiment between this Clink auction and the recent Heritage Signature auction as a consignor, offering very similar pieces (quality, artist, content) and found the results very interesting and not at all what I expected.

Results?

I conducted a little experiment between this Clink auction and the recent Heritage Signature auction as a consignor, offering very similar pieces (quality, artist, content) and found the results very interesting and not at all what I expected.

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-All of the pieces were valued between a few hundred to a few thousand dollars

-No big-ticket items

-All items are published pages, splashes or covers -- no sketches and no commission pieces

-Publication date ranged from 1975 - 2012, but most pieces were published in the 1990s

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

I had other pieces that did well, but didn't consign similar with Heritage, so I couldn't compare them (ie Bob Webb near complete Golden Age story)

Thinking of trying another experiment with more expensive pieces for November and see how that ends up.

Again, this auction proves to me that private sales and ebay are the way to go for what I collect. I LOVED those Paul Pope pages, but they ended up going for twice what I paid for mine only a couple months ago.

Are yours from the same book with equivalent Batman images? I was impressed with them too, but I don't know the Pope market at all.

Yep. In fact my page is one of the very few with Batman in every panel. I also own the cover to his Batman Chronicles book. A Catwoman cover he did, and unused (BUT STUNNING) Batgirl cover he did... and have had a few other pieces come through my collection. Those are gorgeous pages and not necessarily over priced for that public an auction. I just think I got better deals is all through private sales. Though the Chronicles cover was an ebay purchase... that at first I thought I stretched to get and now I realize that at HA or CLINK may have got even more.

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-No big-ticket items

-All items are published pages, splashes or covers -- no sketches and no commission pieces

-Publication date ranged from 1975 - 2012, but most pieces were published in the 1990s

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

I had other pieces that did well, but didn't consign similar with Heritage, so I couldn't compare them (ie Bob Webb near complete Golden Age story)

Thinking of trying another experiment with more expensive pieces for November and see how that ends up.

I think josh owes you dinner lol

I was making a play for the Blitzkreig cover but really a half hearted attempt, came up short

Yes I want a Warlord cover - but one with Ladies in it ! :banana:

Hey Joe, I thought it was interesting to see the Blitzkreig piece up and I would think that this cover was produced during a peak period for Kubert, however I think I'd want a cover from one of the main run war titles. An Unknown Soldier cover or similar Enemy Ace, but that it just me and I thought the washed tones and detail were great so the 6K+ tag did not surprise me.

As always congrats to all the new owners and consignors who had a piece sell. (thumbs u

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-No big-ticket items

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

So what does 9 and 0 mean? 9 pieces sold at Clink and none at heritage? or is it a score of 9 out of 10 vs 0 out of 10? were there reserves on the pieces?

Sorry for all the clarifying questions!

Malvin

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-No big-ticket items

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

So what does 9 and 0 mean? 9 pieces sold at Clink and none at heritage? or is it a score of 9 out of 10 vs 0 out of 10? were there reserves on the pieces?

Malvin

I wouldn't apologize, inquiring minds want to know!

Does that mean that the 9 you sold at Clink you profited on?

15K for the Kirby Champions cover, "don't believe the hype" surely a sign of market implosion a Kirby Cover Superhero for 15K :grin: The Silver Star cover at 2.6K were the Jackolytes at prayer???

The late Kirby Marvel covers from (mainly, I think) Marie Severin roughs (detailed roughs which Kirby followed closely) are considered by many Jackolytes, myself included, to be among the most phoned-in work he ever did, so 15K seems like a healthy result to me. I do agree the Silver Star cover was cheap --a little. I thought it would get 3200. In general the Kirby market seems steady to me: not up, not down. If these prices seemed low, it may be to do with a preponderance of Colleta inks, and very little in the way of Sinnott and Royer. If that Darkseid page had Royer inks? 5K, I think, maybe more.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the TMNT situation :grin:

I was just having some fun with the Jackolytes :grin:

I loved this piece, just wish the Cap Image was a bit better.

KirbyTOS78.jpg

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-No big-ticket items

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

Malvin

No worries Malvin.

It means all 9 'like' pieces sold for more money on Clink. (thumbs u

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-No big-ticket items

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

Malvin

No worries Malvin.

That's good to know because there are a couple of pieces in the Nov. Heritage auction that have caught my eye. Perhaps I will put more of my budget there rather than in the next CLink art auction

Results?

A few qualifiers first:

-No big-ticket items

Results:

-Clink 9, Heritage 0.

Malvin

No worries Malvin.

Even a little more clarification, if you please, as you have dropped possibly the most thunderous post I've ever come across on these boards! Does sold higher mean higher final number paid by the buyer, including Heritage vig?

15K for the Kirby Champions cover, "don't believe the hype" surely a sign of market implosion a Kirby Cover Superhero for 15K :grin: The Silver Star cover at 2.6K were the Jackolytes at prayer???

The late Kirby Marvel covers from (mainly, I think) Marie Severin roughs (detailed roughs which Kirby followed closely) are considered by many Jackolytes, myself included, to be among the most phoned-in work he ever did, so 15K seems like a healthy result to me. I do agree the Silver Star cover was cheap --a little. I thought it would get 3200. In general the Kirby market seems steady to me: not up, not down. If these prices seemed low, it may be to do with a preponderance of Colleta inks, and very little in the way of Sinnott and Royer. If that Darkseid page had Royer inks? 5K, I think, maybe more.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the TMNT situation :grin:

I was quite interested in reading your comment on some of the BA Marvel covers by J Kirby not being 100% his. Would you care to elaborate a bit? Does this apply to all of his prodcution at that time (at least for the books he was not writing himself, for which I am sure he did 100% of the covers)? Any "glaring" examples?

Thanks!

Carlo

Carlos, he was 100% the penciller, but there is something missing that I consider crucial: a Kirby composition. Here's an old Heritage listing for a Skull the Slayer cover which happily includes both the Severin rough and a copy of Kirby's pencils so we can see exactly what each artist brought to the table:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7073&lotNo=93521

And you are correct, Kirby was allowed to compose the covers on his own books.

No worries Malvin.

Even a little more clarification, if you please, as you have dropped possibly the most thunderous post I've ever come across on these boards! Does sold higher mean higher final number paid by the buyer, including Heritage vig?

heh, that was my next question, does more mean:

1. Total amount paid by the buyer, which has vig at HA none at CLink

2. Total amount netted by the seller, after consignment fees, etc.

Malvin

Carlos, he was 100% the penciller, but there is something missing that I consider crucial: a Kirby composition. Here's an old Heritage listing for a Skull the Slayer cover which happily includes both the Severin rough and a copy of Kirby's pencils so we can see exactly what each artist brought to the table:

If you are interested, here are all four pieces (Severin rough, Kirby pencils, Giacola's inks, published cover) . Disclaimer - I own none of this, but I thought finding all four versions was worth preserving; okay, I do own the comic. Anyway, I have tried to provide this image to the winner of the Heritage Auction and would drop this if he posts it as an Additional Image.

Click the image to embiggin.

Skull%20the%20Slayer%208%20-%20Pre-lim,%20Pencils,%20Inks,%20Published.jpg

If you are interested, here are all four pieces (Severin rough, Kirby pencils, Giacola's inks, published cover) . Disclaimer - I own none of this, but I thought finding all four versions was worth preserving; okay, I do own the comic. Anyway, I have tried to provide this image to the winner of the Heritage Auction and would drop this if he posts it as an Additional Image.

Click the image to embiggin.

Skull%20the%20Slayer%208%20-%20Pre-lim,%20Pencils,%20Inks,%20Published.jpg

Thanks Alex. I tried to find your composite for my post, but I find the search function for these boards totally useless. I went to advanced search, put in "Kirby Severin cover Skull Slayer" and got four pages of results, many of which didn't, as far as I could find, feature ANY of those terms. Anybody got any tips?

I had 6 pages in the auction, no reserves

When I was at SDCC, it was very easy to go over and chat with Josh/ComicLink and leave them some of the pages they thought would work well with them.

Of the 6, I'd say 2 above expectations and 1 slightly below - overall satisfied with results, although would have been nice to have at least one of the 6 mentioned in their promo emails....the ~ $300 - $600 page range seemed to be the sweet spot.

In terms of overall auction results, I felt they were very healthy - as I look at the results I noticed the one that jumps out at me is...

The Novick Batman 217 battle panel page...$2K...is this a special issue?