• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AUGUST COMIC LINK AUCTION

156 posts in this topic

ebiggen - to raise a pop-up or other browser window to view a larger image.

Stole it from Thom Zahler's blog.

I can confirm: "embiggen" is, if not a real word, well on its way to some sort of official status. I've seen it on several disparate blog situations.

No worries Malvin.

It means all 9 'like' pieces sold for more money on Clink. (thumbs u

Even a little more clarification, if you please, as you have dropped possibly the most thunderous post I've ever come across on these boards! Does sold higher mean higher final number paid by the buyer, including Heritage vig?

heh, that was my next question, does more mean:

1. Total amount paid by the buyer, which has vig at HA none at CLink

2. Total amount netted by the seller, after consignment fees, etc.

Malvin

Net of fees, total amount that goes into my (wife's) pockets.

I can confirm: "embiggen" is, if not a real word, well on its way to some sort of official status. I've seen it on several disparate blog situations.

Probably came from The Simpsons' Jebediah Springfield: "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Probably came from The Simpsons' Jebediah Springfield: "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

That's the first (and only) thing I think of whenever I see that word (thumbs u

>snip>

If you consider that a FF1 prototype then no offense but you are not distinguishing between the legit prototypes and the BS ones.

With you 100% Bronty, except for this odd notion of "legit prototypes". Which ones are those? (shrug)

A very few of the prehero stories labelled as prototypes really are. It's a hugely overused term but there are a few stories where it's just obvious Stan and jack were referring to them when the related hero was created. Check the tales of suspense 16 thread in silver

In previous Comiclink auctions, I've tried to swoop in at the last minute to win a page, only to miss the bidding window. I've learned to put my bids in early, and I think a lot of other people have come to the same conclusion. With a few notable exceptions, most lots just caught one or two bids in the event's final hours. It makes the process a little less dramatic than HA (or even Ebay), but at least we all know our bids are in.

All in all, I think it was nice auction with a few respectable results, but nothing too shocking. The Ditko ASM page went high (54k), but I've noticed that they always do on Clink. I guess the Clink staff has good connections to Ditko collectors. Clink definitely doesn't have strong ties to the underground comic collectors, as the cover to Young Lust #1 just beat the reserve (10.7k). I believe that would have gone for much more at a Heritage event.

As previously stated on this thread, the Neal Adams Superboy cover and the TMNT cover seemed to go cheap. Honestly, I don't know if 13k is cheap for any TMNT cover. But I clearly remember the "First TMNT drawing" going on Heritage for around 75k, so I was expecting someone to bid it up higher.

The FF pages confused me a bit. So a good Byrne FF page is worth about the same as an ok Kirby FF 2-Up page? Ok...

The George Perez stuff did well, although that Titans cover had too high of a reserve. I've noticed Perez has been getting a lot of respect in the market lately. Considering how ridiculously prolific his career has been, I think it's safe to say that a lot of his material will be coming to market soon. A. Lot.

I think the ToS #88 splash (Colan) did well at 12.25k. Not a very heroic image, but 2-Up title splashes are very hard to come by these days. I'd love to see what kind of result a really good one would go for.

My congratulations to all of the winners and I hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend! (with apologies to the international collectors who have to work on Monday)

>snip>

If you consider that a FF1 prototype then no offense but you are not distinguishing between the legit prototypes and the BS ones.

With you 100% Bronty, except for this odd notion of "legit prototypes". Which ones are those? (shrug)

A very few of the prehero stories labelled as prototypes really are. It's a hugely overused term but there are a few stories where it's just obvious Stan and jack were referring to them when the related hero was created. Check the tales of suspense 16 thread in silver

OK, first: I did an advanced search for "tales+suspense+16" in the title only of the Silver Age forum, past two years. Result: 4 pages of listings including a lot of TTA and ST threads but No Suspense threads of any number. The search function is PERVERSE. Just sayin'. I found the thread just by scrolling down through the whole list, will post on content in a mo'.

..... The FF pages confused me a bit. So a good Byrne FF page is worth about the same as an ok Kirby FF 2-Up page? Ok...

Just because something is older, doesn't make it more valuable. Byrne X-Men art also sells for more than Kirby 2X X-Men art. All it takes are 2 bidders. The heart wants what it wants. (shrug)

Cheers!

N.

In previous Comiclink auctions, I've tried to swoop in at the last minute to win a page, only to miss the bidding window. I've learned to put my bids in early, and I think a lot of other people have come to the same conclusion. With a few notable exceptions, most lots just caught one or two bids in the event's final hours. It makes the process a little less dramatic than HA (or even Ebay), but at least we all know our bids are in.

All in all, I think it was nice auction with a few respectable results, but nothing too shocking. The Ditko ASM page went high (54k), but I've noticed that they always do on Clink. I guess the Clink staff has good connections to Ditko collectors. Clink definitely doesn't have strong ties to the underground comic collectors, as the cover to Young Lust #1 just beat the reserve (10.7k). I believe that would have gone for much more at a Heritage event.

As previously stated on this thread, the Neal Adams Superboy cover and the TMNT cover seemed to go cheap. Honestly, I don't know if 13k is cheap for any TMNT cover. But I clearly remember the "First TMNT drawing" going on Heritage for around 75k, so I was expecting someone to bid it up higher.

The FF pages confused me a bit. So a good Byrne FF page is worth about the same as an ok Kirby FF 2-Up page? Ok...

The George Perez stuff did well, although that Titans cover had too high of a reserve. I've noticed Perez has been getting a lot of respect in the market lately. Considering how ridiculously prolific his career has been, I think it's safe to say that a lot of his material will be coming to market soon. A. Lot.

I think the ToS #88 splash (Colan) did well at 12.25k. Not a very heroic image, but 2-Up title splashes are very hard to come by these days. I'd love to see what kind of result a really good one would go for.

My congratulations to all of the winners and I hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend! (with apologies to the international collectors who have to work on Monday)

I'm right there with you on these observations.....I'd add that I think the auction format is flat and constantly hitting the update button is annoying. A new system would benefit them IMO

If you examine the listing, they indicate it is a FF1 prototype. The art was created six months before FF1....Kirby decided to use that image in the cover of FF1 and the story was not published, then one year later then used it.

This page has the potential to be only existing link to FF1 cover and story, since the art has been missing for a long time.

If FF1 cover hit the market today, it would bring a million dollars, this page is worth at least 25K to 50K based on its history. 16k was and IS a steal on this.

it is clear this was a swipe from this image to the cover of FF1

Origin story to FF 1 does exist, though it is the altered.mutilitated version reprinted in FF annual 1. Don't know if someone could remove the whiteout and restore it to the original art

I'm right there with you on these observations.....I'd add that I think the auction format is flat and constantly hitting the update button is annoying. A new system would benefit them IMO

I really like clink, but it might be the worst website around

>snip>

Metallo is a cool story with clear similarities to Iron Man. One of the dozens of robot/ metal suit stories has to be the most similar, and it looks like this is it. But why on earth would Stan or Jack need to refer to or consult their own story to make another story? Why would they take the time? Jack could design a robot suit in his sleep. Stan can recycle an ironic twist in his sleep. Even if, as unlikely as it sounds, Jack said "I can't think of any plots or characters today, Stan, for the first time in my life. We'll have to pull out one of our brilliant monster stories and base our new superhero on that" --that still wouldn't make it a prototype, i.e. an early test version intended to be developed into a series character.

There are no prototypes. Stan and Jack didn't work that way. They didn't even work together. Jack made up the Marvel Universe at home and Stan signed it at the office (ok, slight exaggeration perhaps, though I sure haven't seen even one Stan Lee -script for a Kirby pre-hero story, or of course post-hero).

That said, I LOVE the "prototype" stories. They evoke an alternate Marvel universe where Iron Man is a villain named Metallo, and The Hulk is exposed to cosmic rays and gains Magnetic powers. I have the OA to another Iron Man "prototype": Return of the Living Robot by Don Heck, who designed Tony Stark. It doesn't have the Metallo elements (robotic suit and heart condition), but it does have a human sized robot whose secret identity is a mustachioed member of the upper class (two of 'em, actually--spoiler!). Did Heck consult this story for Tony Stark? Of course not. He already knew how to draw suave rich guys. The robot design is closer to the Ditko armor, including a round feature in the chest that fires an irresistible power blast. I WISH this were actually the prototype for the Iron Man series, because it has a better conceptual framework: a secret society of robots defends unsuspecting humanity from robotic menaces. Wait a second, do I own the prototype for T2? OMFG :idea:

Hold on just a minute :) I'm not saying that they literally opened up tales of suspense 16 when they created iron man. Maybe they did, probably they didn't. What I'm saying is that there are a very few (I would say less than five) stories where the similarities to later heroes or villains are too strong to ignore. There are probably 50 so-called prototypes (as an aside I agree that it's not the perfect term to describe what we have here) and Id suggest 3,4,5 where Stan and Jack had to be thinking of or borrowing from an earlier story in creating the later one.

A story where a robot suit is built in a military context, the operator has a heart condition, he is trapped inside the suit... needs the suit to exist... that's compelling and more than a fluke IMO.

And while I haven't read the magneto story, a creature named magneto that has the power of magnetism is probably compelling too just based on having the same name & powers.

The other 95% of the "prototype" stories aren't worth talking about but you can't tell me there aren't a few where Stan or Jack or Stan and Jack didn't later recycle some of the ideas in a hero context. Call them prototypes or just call them really neat, I don't care, but there are a few that are significant, and I think, to bring it home, that we can all agree the strange Tales splash at auction wasn't one of them

I think the two Stelfreeze lots went for a screaming deal. Stelfreeze started of as cover artist for this series and did a long run of great covers. These covers are no exception.

SHADOW OF THE BAT 7, 8 & 9 for $908. $300 for a painted Stelfreeze cover? :o

RAD56CAA2013816_124517.jpg

And SHADOW OF THE BAT 43 & 44 for $1077 . $538 a cover? Not a bad deal in my opinion.

RAD6AA3D2013816_124946.jpg

These are the kinds of examples I like to cite when collectors say things are too expensive to attract new OA fans. I can't remember the last time I saw a fully painted cover advertised for sale below $500 (shrug)

And the new owner must be excited to get these. They are already on CAF

>snip>

Metallo is a cool story with clear similarities to Iron Man. One of the dozens of robot/ metal suit stories has to be the most similar, and it looks like this is it. But why on earth would Stan or Jack need to refer to or consult their own story to make another story? Why would they take the time? Jack could design a robot suit in his sleep. Stan can recycle an ironic twist in his sleep. Even if, as unlikely as it sounds, Jack said "I can't think of any plots or characters today, Stan, for the first time in my life. We'll have to pull out one of our brilliant monster stories and base our new superhero on that" --that still wouldn't make it a prototype, i.e. an early test version intended to be developed into a series character.

There are no prototypes. Stan and Jack didn't work that way. They didn't even work together. Jack made up the Marvel Universe at home and Stan signed it at the office (ok, slight exaggeration perhaps, though I sure haven't seen even one Stan Lee -script for a Kirby pre-hero story, or of course post-hero).

That said, I LOVE the "prototype" stories. They evoke an alternate Marvel universe where Iron Man is a villain named Metallo, and The Hulk is exposed to cosmic rays and gains Magnetic powers. I have the OA to another Iron Man "prototype": Return of the Living Robot by Don Heck, who designed Tony Stark. It doesn't have the Metallo elements (robotic suit and heart condition), but it does have a human sized robot whose secret identity is a mustachioed member of the upper class (two of 'em, actually--spoiler!). Did Heck consult this story for Tony Stark? Of course not. He already knew how to draw suave rich guys. The robot design is closer to the Ditko armor, including a round feature in the chest that fires an irresistible power blast. I WISH this were actually the prototype for the Iron Man series, because it has a better conceptual framework: a secret society of robots defends unsuspecting humanity from robotic menaces. Wait a second, do I own the prototype for T2? OMFG :idea:

The word prototype is generally used to refer to an early version of something which is altered and refined. But it's less accurate to apply to earlier works that were echoed in the creation of other, different characters.

For instance: the unpublished Spider-man pages drawn by Kirby. absolutely a prototype; all part of the same process. Journey into mystery 73 is a story about a creature getting human intellect, which was an incredibly common concept in those days. I like the issue but it seems extraordinarily unlikely it had anything to do with the creation of peter parker.

The Metallo story and others bear a lot more similarities to later marvel creations, so they could be considered loosely prototypical in the sense that people have come to use it. (Even if not technically correct; when people change the popular usage of a word, it slowly becomes the defined usage) Many of these issues clearly show these story elements were swimming around in the minds of lee, kirby, ditko, ayers, and gang, and how they were recycled and refined.

Taken all together, they paint a fascinating picture of how and why Marvel was able to reinvent the superhero. Having to come up with all those fantasy tales involving monsters put their heads (especially Lee's) in the perfect place to come up with a new breed of superhero story.

Perez prices certainly do seem on the rise at present. Still not seen some of the killer Perez pieces come to auction.

Hold on just a minute :) I'm not saying that they literally opened up tales of suspense 16 when they created iron man. Maybe they did, probably they didn't. What I'm saying is that there are a very few (I would say less than five) stories where the similarities to later heroes or villains are too strong to ignore. There are probably 50 so-called prototypes (as an aside I agree that it's not the perfect term to describe what we have here) and Id suggest 3,4,5 where Stan and Jack had to be thinking of or borrowing from an earlier story in creating the later one.

A story where a robot suit is built in a military context, the operator has a heart condition, he is trapped inside the suit... needs the suit to exist... that's compelling and more than a fluke IMO.

And while I haven't read the magneto story, a creature named magneto that has the power of magnetism is probably compelling too just based on having the same name & powers.

The other 95% of the "prototype" stories aren't worth talking about but you can't tell me there aren't a few where Stan or Jack or Stan and Jack didn't later recycle some of the ideas in a hero context. Call them prototypes or just call them really neat, I don't care, but there are a few that are significant, and I think, to bring it home, that we can all agree the strange Tales splash at auction wasn't one of them

Bronty you are dead wrong on the FF1 "swipe page" which you can call later....instead of prototype.

The strange tales page was created aprrox 6 months before FF!, When jack needed to come up with "another monster cover" see FF1 and FF3 REJECTED cover, the Change was made starting on issue 3. Kirby Swiped the ST 96 Monster because one, the page was great, and second there was a lot of pressure on Jack to come up with 25 pages after stan gave him the -script. When the end of the monster era was approaching, they took it off and printed it six months later.

The identical image, the same position makes it a clear SWIPE and possibility the only remaining art related to the lost FF1 cover.

It can be called anything ,but it is clearly a it is related swipe.