• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books at yard sale alert!!!

34 posts in this topic

Back to the boards I was having withdrawals from being off the grid for a few days. Darn Wi-Fi @ the hotel didn't work.

Anyway, neat finds BG, especially the storage unit stuff. Most of the CL stuff in my area is usually drek, or if it is older, then the prices are inflated beyond the stratosphere. I did find a guy with a few Star Wars things, nothing major, but cheap and stuff I didn't have, an original die cast X-wing in a low/mid-grade card, a complete Jaba playset and a boxed RotJ tripod cannon. I've yet to find a good comic book treasure trove.

Some here have said they wish they could go to a yard sale and find comic books. While looking over Craigslist for comic books and magic cards I ran across this one - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fod/3998400901.html I live in Spanaway (50+ miles south) and can't make it, but is probably well worth the look.

"huge comic collection @ $1.00 ea-1980-now-(1,000+)"

"12 cent comics huge new lot in from the 1970's"

Wish I could go.

I live in Seattle and saw the advertisement as well. I think I might go given that it is only about 15 minutes from my house.

If you do could you let me know if you get anything good?

This actually is a good reason not to speculate on late 1970's (and later) comic books. I don't doubt you can make quick money 'flipping' these finds. That being said, with all the large finds of massive runs of these kind of books there is no shortage of supply. I do not see most of these books being good long term investments overall as too many were made and hoarded.

Some here have said they wish they could go to a yard sale and find comic books. While looking over Craigslist for comic books and magic cards I ran across this one - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fod/3998400901.html I live in Spanaway (50+ miles south) and can't make it, but is probably well worth the look.

Wish I could go.

I live in Seattle and saw the advertisement as well. I think I might go given that it is only about 15 minutes from my house.

heading over this morning. Will let you know.

Wish I could go.

heading over this morning. Will let you know.

so I checked it out this morning. Nothing of value. The stuff trom tge 80s were commons. The 70s stuff was a few spidermans and FFs, but tgey were beat to hell. Overall, not worth it.

Wish I could go.

Good luck buddy, hope you find some awesome stuff there!!!

You can find deals at garage sales, but for every 1,000 you go to, maybe one pays off.

I like to hit auctions more than garage sales and generally have much better luck. The auctions at least have an element where the seller may feel that there will be some level of knowledge that will drive the sales price up. Given this, you're more likely to see better material.

I scored about six short boxes at an auction last year for about $30 a box. The boxes were all 90's stuff, lots of drek, and lots of 90's speculation DF and chrome covers. However, about a dozen books had been stuffed down the sides. Included was a Hulk 181, ASM 3 & 6, FF 48, and a few other gems in mid-grade. It can happen.

Some here have said they wish they could go to a yard sale and :tonofbricks: find comic books. While looking over Craigslist for comic books and magic cards I ran across this one - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fod/3998400901.html I live in Spanaway (50+ miles south) and can't make it, but is probably well worth the look.

Wish I could go.

Good luck buddy, hope you find some awesome stuff there!!!

Thanks Joey but unfortunately it turned up mostly junk :tonofbricks:

I agree. Even though there is a great possibility there is a lot of drek and/or trash, there is still a chance you can find books to flip. Maybe not for hundreds of dollars each, but worth the flip to help pay for other books or even keep some and sell the rest to cover the cost of what you keep. About half of the yard sales I go to aren't worth it, but I will never know unless I go.

I have traveled as much as 40-50 miles out of my way to find stuff for sale. I buy anything I can flip. At a sale near Seattle I bought two tubs of Reaper miniatures for $110. There were around 400 figures and I sold them for $1,500. Another sale that advertised Magic Cards for $75 for 1,500 cards. I drove to Seattle to get them and made around $500 off of them. And a lot more examples.

My point is that I can't keep the mindset that the unseen is drek. I will never get the gold unless I go and look.

I agree. Even though there is a great possibility there is a lot of drek and/or trash, there is still a chance you can find books to flip. Maybe not for hundreds of dollars each, but worth the flip to help pay for other books or even keep some and sell the rest to cover the cost of what you keep. About half of the yard sales I go to aren't worth it, but I will never know unless I go.

I have traveled as much as 40-50 miles out of my way to find stuff for sale. I buy anything I can flip. At a sale near Seattle I bought two tubs of Reaper miniatures for $110. There were around 400 figures and I sold them for $1,500. Another sale that advertised Magic Cards for $75 for 1,500 cards. I drove to Seattle to get them and made around $500 off of them. And a lot more examples.

My point is that I can't keep the mindset that the unseen is drek. I will never get the gold unless I go and look.

This is very true. I have also picked up a few items over the years at yard sales that have been really good items, especially before the days of Ebay.