• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pedigree type-set
3 3

165 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2021 at 9:59 PM, LovetheLizard said:

Could anyone tell me which Amazing Spider-Man issues were included in the Edgar Church / Mile High collection? I wasn’t aware there were any at first, but saw some graded?

I think Mr. Church stopped buying books in the mid-50s, so there should be no Amazing Spider-Man issues in the collection.  If you've seen graded copies claiming that, provide a link.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:59 PM, LovetheLizard said:

Could anyone tell me which Amazing Spider-Man issues were included in the Edgar Church / Mile High collection? I wasn’t aware there were any at first, but saw some graded?

you must have seen some "mile high II" books; they're not church books.   here's an example...

dd58.jpg

On 12/22/2021 at 1:55 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I think Mr. Church stopped buying books in the mid-50s, so there should be no Amazing Spider-Man issues in the collection.  If you've seen graded copies claiming that, provide a link.

This was on eBay. I don’t have a way to check on CGC, but I wonder if someone can confirm the authenticity based on the slab?

A7886EC4-1105-4F2E-9DD8-DDA2551FCF16.jpeg

On 12/22/2021 at 9:43 PM, LovetheLizard said:

This was on eBay. I don’t have a way to check on CGC, but I wonder if someone can confirm the authenticity based on the slab?

A7886EC4-1105-4F2E-9DD8-DDA2551FCF16.jpeg

Well, Wikipedia (not necessarily a reliable source) says he died in 1978, and I had previously heard it was the mid-70s, so it's not impossible he personally bought this book.  Most accounts indicate he stopped or slowed his comic buying in the mid-50s.  The collection was "discovered" in 1977 and I had previously heard he had been dead for awhile and it was his family members who were cleaning out his house.  It's not impossible he was living elsewhere (like a nursing or other care home) when he died.

I am far from an expert on the Church Collection and I hope someone who is will weigh in.